Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 10:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319704 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Naughty Dog's The Last of Us
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Naughty Dog's The Last of Us  (Read 17319 times)
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »

The story gets better after that. Joel and Ellie are really the soul of the game. The combat is fun too when it lets you loose on a bigger area.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2013, 07:39:05 PM »

If you find the game lame from the intro, you didn't see the opening all the way or just have no soul.

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

I feel LPs are never the way to go to determine or properly judge/rate a game (especially gameplay-wise; RPG LP's are extrememly long and boring in this sense).  The tension and action is definitely better when you're smack-dab in the middle of it, and especially with the sort of horror element in the game, having Ellie around becomes....real nice. :(

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »

If you find the game lame from the intro, you didn't see the opening all the way or just have no soul.

Code:
"Hey, my child got shot by the military, I'm sad now."
is the Zombie genre equivalent to an RPG's
"Hey, my village got burned by the evil empire; I'm pissed."

You can do it well (LoU does); doesn't change the fact that's it's been done so often that it has zero impact. Plus it was telegraphed
a mile away by virtue of horror movie cliches.

I'll take the local word here that the story improves past that point. Usually tastes around here run fairly parallel to my own.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 08:55:32 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2013, 08:58:40 PM »

So I guess more kids gotta get shot to feel anything about it nowadays?

Either way, that's deep-space cold; and again, I think it really helps to be actively playing and in the passenger's seat than watching a tiny LP.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2013, 09:04:49 PM »

My literary emotions =/= real-time emotions.

What moves me in a story will not often line up with what would be a depressing event in real life simply because I hold those to different standards and have a strong fantasy/reality divider.

For example:

If I'm watching a horror movie and random girl A gets stabbed in back by some masked knife-wielding guy; I yawn. Jump scares don't impress me, Jason-rip-offs offer no engagement because I've never been impressed with that horror style, and just stabbing someone isn't a very impressive way to die in terms of visual flair.

But, if said event happens in reality. It's a tragedy, and I will feel sympathy without criticizing the 'details' of said act.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2013, 01:47:02 AM »

This game is the tits! I'm taking my sweet time with it. Only played multiplayer tonight and its almost as engaging as the story. Took out a whole squad with a molotov earlier and cackled like a madman. Fun:)

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2013, 01:54:46 AM »

I am in love with this game. That is all.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »

Winter is awesome. Especially dat ending of winter. DAMN.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2013, 10:16:29 AM »

Just beat it on normal mode.

I knew the ending and all already...but damn it's powerful. I'm shocked they took the route they did.

You are finished it already? Is it a short game or just one that you do not want to stop playing?

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2013, 11:04:02 AM »

Just beat it on normal mode.

I knew the ending and all already...but damn it's powerful. I'm shocked they took the route they did.

You are finished it already? Is it a short game or just one that you do not want to stop playing?
I got 18 hours in. Would have been less if I stopped pausing and walking away for a while. Also, I started vetting neurotic about fights and restarting every time I got attacked or broke stealth....really started getting bad when I broke an arrow due to a miss or a non fatal shot and restarted after 4 minutes of sneaking up on a baddie. You know it's bad when you have nearly full ammo for everything but one type of weapon and a room full of bodies...and you didn't use said empty weapon.

Playing new game plus now. Definitely cleaning up mistakes I made on the first run through...like the upside down trap thing. Did it on my first try this time...first run through took 9.

TASTY!
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »

I'll echo the accolades this game has received by saying that so far it is damn fine.

I'm still in the summer portion, but I think I'm nearing the end of it. That sequence where

Code:
you're hanging upside down and have to protect Ellie

was damn intense, and had my bf (who was watching on the other side of the couch) glued to the screen. Even he was on the edge of his seat.

I love the little bits of detail they have added to make the world feel alive. For example, I go examine a secret area, and either Ellie or Joel will comment about the action, with either Ellie questioning what Joel is doing or Joel giving Ellie a heads up about where he is going. In most games, Ellie would just plod along, not saying a thing when you are clearly not heading down the correct direction, but Naughty Dog took steps to help ensure the game's suspension of disbelief is not broken. Little additions like this make the game world come alive and feel like a true cinematic experience.

It's definitely not perfect. Outside of the aforementioned graphical glitches, the enemy AI can sometimes leave something to be desired. In one of the beginning parts with Tess I saw her run right in front of a patrolling enemy and not get sighted. Thankfully it's not a recurring problem; I've had Ellie get noticed by enemies by being within their line of sight, so the ally characters aren't exempt.

Every game has problems however, and I certainly didn't expect it to be flawless. I'm really loving it so far.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:37 PM »

So far, the only major issue I have is that AI characters are completely immune to being seen-- the enemies won't notice them if they aren't already alerted by you. It breaks immersion to see Ellie sneaking around a clicker's knees and have it be like "WELL I DO NOT APPEAR TO SEE ANY IMMEDIATE THREATS," but it's a relatively minor quibble for me.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »

So far, the only major issue I have is that AI characters are completely immune to being seen-- the enemies won't notice them if they aren't already alerted by you. It breaks immersion to see Ellie sneaking around a clicker's knees and have it be like "WELL I DO NOT APPEAR TO SEE ANY IMMEDIATE THREATS," but it's a relatively minor quibble for me.

I could have sworn I've seen Ellie alert an enemy before, but it could have just been my dumb ass. I can see the reasoning behind making the allies immune, since the developers probably didn't want the ally AI to screw over the gamer's perfectly laid stealth plans, but yeah I agree, it sort of breaks immersion, but never to the point where it's more than a small annoyance.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »

I could have sworn I've seen Ellie alert an enemy before, but it could have just been my dumb ass. I can see the reasoning behind making the allies immune, since the developers probably didn't want the ally AI to screw over the gamer's perfectly laid stealth plans, but yeah I agree, it sort of breaks immersion, but never to the point where it's more than a small annoyance.

Yeah, absolutely. I think the alternative would be much worse, because sometimes when you're trying to be stealthy and have two people with you, it'd be almost impossible to stay hidden. Loving this game, though. SRS.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: