Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 02:03:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327935 Posts in 13427 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Naughty Dog's The Last of Us
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Naughty Dog's The Last of Us  (Read 22431 times)
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »

Man I thought the ending was going to be way different.

Code:
It seemed to really echo the beginning with Joel carrying Ellie/Sarah. I thought it was going to end with them both getting shot. The ending kind of seemed a little too happy. I thought Ellie was going to shoot him, or they were going to arrive at Jackson with everyone dead. Although I guess the lying to protect her thing was dark, but a little odd. Less tragic then I thought it would be.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »

Late Summer spoilers

Code:
That magazine of Bill's Ellie found was totally a gay bear magazine. You could tell by the bearded dude and the title appeared to say "Bearkin." Right on Bill!

Best game ever. Game of the year for me.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:51:31 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2013, 08:40:31 PM »

Don't say that so early. You haven't finished it yet for one, and we are only halfway through the year.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »

Don't say that so early. You haven't finished it yet for one, and we are only halfway through the year.

I was referring mainly to the thing I put in the spoiler tags. First time I've ever seen bears referred to so overtly in a vidja game, and as a bear myself, I appreciated the nod ;).
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »

Code:
Why are the pages all stuck together?

Best line in the game.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »

The Last of Us - Bill's Safe House Cinematic / Performance Capture Video -- YouTube Doubler
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2013, 01:38:30 AM »

Reminds me of being a kid and playing "pretend".  Loved the neon props, and interesting method to stand clear at the end (I don't think it's a coincidence that they look kind of how 3D models are in the standard "T" pose when they're still being rendered or inactive...or not and whatever I know nothing 'bout the 'bizz).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2013, 01:17:47 PM »

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2013, 03:45:01 PM »

Welp, that's the best thing I will see all day.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »

Boston transit map designer 'furious' after map's apparent inclusion in The Last of Us [update]

The Last of Us Patch 1.02

Source(s): Polygon, Naughty Dog Blog
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2013, 02:30:21 AM »

This game. I have very weird feelings about this game. I don't think it's bad and it consistently does things I like, but they just don't work for me.
Like, with the exception of one point the game has been free of tension during the gameplay. The cutscenes have a whole bunch of it, sure, but I've never been apprehensive at all when it comes to fighting the infected. The humans are slightly more worrisome since they are dangerous without being annoying(a la Bloaters), but it seems to be more of a problem of presentation and atmosphere. I have to assume it's the presentation because encounters aren't much harder or more penalizing then MGS, but I find MGS tense as hell whereas I think Last of Us is fun I just don't feel threatened. Part of it is might be the difficulty, I switched to Hard mode since Normal was too easy and even then I've had 3 Health-kits with the supplies to make at least 1 more the entire game so far (I'm at the University) and I've never been pressed for ammo. It seems antithetical to what the game is saying about the world and it runs against the way the game (and everybody else) is telling me it is supposed to be played.

I don't like it when the game becomes a cover shooter, it ruins the feel that the game tries really hard to establish. There is no problem with the inventory system, but I really wish I could carry more bricks in exchange for other items. I've run into 4 or 5 glitches, one where I walked through the level geometry and couldn't continue. Finally, melee combat looks painful, but is really floaty and lame and doesn't feel like it connects at all. Therefore throwing away any visceral quality it might have.

Honestly, I wish I liked this game as much as most people do. The game is good, the story and animation are great, the visuals are really nice, the game is fun to play and they tried something. I just don't feel they pulled it off and it feels like I'm missing something. If I get the chance I'd like to do a Brick, Bottle and Bludgeon run where I don't shoot anything at all. There are some places where it might be too frustrating, but I think it would make a more interesting challenge than playing Survivor where I know I'd just get frustrated.

Is there anyone who agrees with me on at least one or two of these? Whatever, throw your rocks... I'll be over there.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2013, 06:40:24 PM »

Time for a biology lesson.

Code:
When someone is immune to an infection that targets the brain, you don't go and remove the brain. Normally, the brain is protected from infection by the blood-brain barrier, which tightly regulates what is allowed into the brain and what is not. In order for something to affect the brain, it has to pass this barrier first - in viruses such as rabies, or prions such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (or Mad Cow Disease). Passing through this barrier often means that the infection is incurable without at least some form of severe complication. This is because antibodies can't cross the blood-brain barrier, and anything that CAN is extremely likely to cause some sort of pathological result - you don't want anything rattling around inside your head.

If Ellie was immune to the Cordyceps, it likely means that her immunity was a result of her adaptive immune system. The supporting material in the game states that the virus mutated in her body which is why she's immune. This signifies that she was inoculated against the disease due to an inactive strain of the Cordyceps fungus (which in itself is a bit ridiculous considering how Cordyceps functions, but that's a debate for another time) being in her bloodstream, which caused her body to adapt to the fungus, much like how a smallpox vaccine would also do. The immunity s in her blood.

What does this mean? It means that the doctors with the Fireflies are FUCKING QUACKS. Immunity in the blood can't be found by biopsying the brain. They should be drawing blood and doing everything they can to keep her healthy while attempting to synthesize a vaccine through her antibodies and cultures, plus lots and lots of laboratory work with test animals, not taking out her brain. That's like killing the golden goose. This isn't something easily handwaved like "well, maybe they're fresh out of med school and haven't been doing anything in the twenty intervening years," this is first year med school shit.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:36:45 PM by Ashtrot » Logged

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2013, 06:48:04 PM »

CAN WE PUT THIS SHIT IN SPOILER TAGS SERIOUSLY

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »

My bad. D:

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2013, 08:12:31 PM »

As much as I love to rip on plot holes, Ash, I gotta let this one go.  You don't see me complaining about time travel and shit in video games (basically because it violates every conservation law in physics and there isn't a shred of evidence to back it up).  The way I see it, Marty had an excellent journey back to 1985, so why let science get in the way! 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: