Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:56:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330163 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Naughty Dog's The Last of Us
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Naughty Dog's The Last of Us  (Read 24233 times)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2013, 12:38:34 AM »

This game is so freaking hard. I can't even imagine playing on Normal, Easy is kicking the absolute crap out of me.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: November 20, 2013, 12:42:30 AM »

This game is so freaking hard. I can't even imagine playing on Normal, Easy is kicking the absolute crap out of me.

Playing through I can imagine normal -- since by that point you know what to expect.  Survival mode just wouldn't be worth the time, frustration, and precision though....  a big "congrats" to those who have.

I definitely hated that beginning stretch, it's pretty unforgiving.  A segment in Winter really takes the cake though (without spoiling it, I'm sure some of you can guess).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »

I thought I had the hang of it for a bit there but NOPE. I think I am at the sniper section mentioned previously. Whatever it is I've been stuck on it for a while.

I used to be good at video games. Ravages of age I guess.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »

Quick news. Pre-ordering The Last of Us: Left Behind on PSN will give you:

・The Last of Us Ellie Dynamic Theme
・The Last of Us American Dreams Issue #1 digital download code from Dark Horse Comics

Survival mode just wouldn't be worth the time, frustration, and precision though....  a big "congrats" to those who have.

TLoU is balanced on Survival. Uncharted on Crushing in comparison is an endeavor you have to advance through pure brute force, luck and precision. Not to mention that the co-op maps on multiplayer are impossible on Crushing without at least two competent players, not so much skill and planning like most (if not all) of TLoU.

That's of course in my experience.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2013, 10:27:59 AM »

I thought I had the hang of it for a bit there but NOPE. I think I am at the sniper section mentioned previously. Whatever it is I've been stuck on it for a while.

I used to be good at video games. Ravages of age I guess.

hahah. Right there with you, man. The sniper section was tough, but I managed to get through it by finally getting tired of sneaking around all over. I ended up charging right into the friggin' house. I don't know how I survived, but I did.

Yes, Dice. Winter. Ugh.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »

Uncharted is WAY more frustrating than Last of Us.  There are times when you're just completely screwed and nothing is going to save you except luck.  No freakin' clue how I beat the first game on Crushing, but it was a terrible experience.  Outside of one or two parts in Last of Us (freakin' Winter section...), hard mode wasn't that bad.  The biggest issue I have is the enemies become bullet sponges, but since I use stealth most of the time it's not really an issue.  The problem gets out of control on the forced action sections, which is the reason I finally quit.  Survival mode takes away the noise vision, which is a no go for me.  You really need that skill to play with their given level design, so I'm sure it would just piss me off.  

Edit-
Also, I died about a hundred times playing Uncharted 2.  Just throwing that out there in case people thought I was showing off how good I am at games or something.  I'm not really good at games.  I'm just persistent.  I still throw a controller every once in a while. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:42:42 AM by PaleRobbie » Logged
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 20, 2013, 11:17:22 AM »

Uncharted is WAY more frustrating than Last of Us.  There are times when you're just completely screwed and nothing is going to save you except luck.  No freakin' clue how I beat the first game on Crushing, but it was a terrible experience.  Outside of one or two parts in Last of Us (freakin' Winter section...), hard mode wasn't that bad.  The biggest issue I have is the enemies become bullet sponges, but since I use stealth most of the time it's not really an issue.  The problem gets out of control on the forced action sections, which is the reason I finally quit.  Survival mode takes away the noise vision, which is a no go for me.  You really need that skill to play with their given level design, so I'm sure it would just piss me off.  

Edit-
Also, I died about a hundred times playing Uncharted 2.  Just throwing that out there in case people thought I was showing off how good I am at games or something.  I'm not really good at games.  I'm just persistent.  I still throw a controller every once in a while. 

Exact opposite for me. I found Uncharted 2 way easier. The Last of Us I cry a little bit whenever combat sections come up. And that's on Easy. Any mode higher than that is simply unfathomable for me.

It is always sad when a game is clearly awesome and I just completely suck and there is no way around the level of my own sucking. Like Dark Souls. Which I still have probably cleared about 2% of.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: November 20, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »

I kinda feel this way about shooters lately.  There's so much run and gun I barely know what my "olde eyes" are seeing and get fucked and die.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 20, 2013, 12:05:22 PM »

When I start mistaking my own shortcomings for the game itself being terrible, I will truly have become an old person. Only a matter of time before I am complaining about the music kids listen to these days.

Last of Us is clearly awesome, I'm just getting the story in a slow drip because I'm lucky to get past one combat sequence every couple of nights.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »

Survival mode takes away the noise vision, which is a no go for me.  You really need that skill to play with their given level design, so I'm sure it would just piss me off.

I never really felt the need for it. Or maybe it has something to do with me having hours of experience with MGS4 and Vanquish that helped me.

I kinda feel this way about shooters lately.  There's so much run and gun I barely know what my "olde eyes" are seeing and get fucked and die.

What's your view on bullet hell games?
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: November 20, 2013, 01:45:51 PM »

What's your view on bullet hell games?

Avoid.  haha, I think they're crazy cool, I'm just no good at them.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: November 20, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »

Survival mode takes away the noise vision, which is a no go for me.  You really need that skill to play with their given level design, so I'm sure it would just piss me off.

I never really felt the need for it. Or maybe it has something to do with me having hours of experience with MGS4 and Vanquish that helped me.

Never felt the need for it?! Are you serious? Ok, that does it. You need to leave the room. You're making the rest of us look bad.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #237 on: November 20, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »

I think the game is designed with listening mode in mind-- that said, I still enjoyed Survival (that's the mode you unlock when you beat it, right?). I do think I would have enjoyed a sort of 'choose your own mode' like the Witcher 2 had added to it, where you could have all the scarcity and difficulty of survival but still have listen mode.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: November 20, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »

Never felt the need for it?! Are you serious? Ok, that does it. You need to leave the room. You're making the rest of us look bad.

By the time I got to Survival mode I already went through TLoU like 5 times on every other difficulty and since I knew what to expect and do I didn't see myself needing the noise vision thing. It wasn't made available so even if I wanted to use it I just had to keep pushing forward and take the risk.

The sections with heavy combat weren't easy and the stealth parts took a ton of patience, but I did it in the end.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 20, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »

Ha, all this talk about the game lead me to pick it back up.  I'm just about finished on Hard mode now.  Damn, so many great things about this game, but then stupid shit and the combat comes along and fucks up my stealth party.  I would find this game impossible to score. 

Had 5 dead dudes in a room at one point.  They just kept coming in one at a time and I kept shiving them in the neck. 
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: