Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2015, 05:22:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
349867 Posts in 14272 Topics by 2247 Members
Latest Member: Mr Scratcher
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Xenoverse, DBZ game or something more?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Xenoverse, DBZ game or something more?  (Read 1743 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 04:01:58 PM »

what i meant by that is the controls complexity never exceeds that of say, sleeping dogs or shadow of mordor in which your swan song techs don't require much more than trigger holds and dual button presses with a slight reliance on timing for things like dodging. senran kengura versus, which i also just had a blast with, was very much like this as well. in fact senran and xenoverse are very similar control wise and is probably the only accurate comparison that comes to mind. its hard to really draw paralels with other games because of the flying aspects.

it would probably be easier\clearer to distinguish what this does not feel like. this is not a street fighter, soul calibur, dead or alive, virtual fighter, dbz budokai or persona arena. while it certainly is not mordor, sleeping dogs, dynasty warriors or (i'm reaching here) a current gen "tales of" battle system, it feels a hell of a lot closer to these.

Doesn't sound for me since I like my Beat 'em ups (and Fighting games) to have levels of complexity. I'll look into it better later and see if I get it or not. Thanks! :)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 05:17:12 PM »

I am reporting back once more with an update. The game is officially awesome. I've been easily pulling 3-4 hour game sessions with a Diablo 3 type of addiction level here and am not remotely bored with it.

The servers disconnect but that is easily remedied by staying offline.

what i meant by that is the controls complexity never exceeds that of say, sleeping dogs or shadow of mordor in which your swan song techs don't require much more than trigger holds and dual button presses with a slight reliance on timing for things like dodging. senran kengura versus, which i also just had a blast with, was very much like this as well. in fact senran and xenoverse are very similar control wise and is probably the only accurate comparison that comes to mind. its hard to really draw paralels with other games because of the flying aspects.

it would probably be easier\clearer to distinguish what this does not feel like. this is not a street fighter, soul calibur, dead or alive, virtual fighter, dbz budokai or persona arena. while it certainly is not mordor, sleeping dogs, dynasty warriors or (i'm reaching here) a current gen "tales of" battle system, it feels a hell of a lot closer to these.

Doesn't sound for me since I like my Beat 'em ups (and Fighting games) to have levels of complexity. I'll look into it better later and see if I get it or not. Thanks! :)

It seems to have become more complex now that I'm further into it. You really have a great deal of control over your character and move set. As more options have now opened up to me I can distinguish more tempting character builds than I can shake a stick at.

Finally, this is proving way more story-centric and RPG'ish than I had anticipated. I dare say the narrative is actually compelling (as a DBZ fan) and not just an "excuse" to kick ass.

I seriously hope/wish this model of game is adopted to things outside the realm of DBZ because they really struck something special here. At its core however, it is truly the customization and gameplay that is proving to make this so addicting. You are still in a sense doing the same thing over and over but the balance of difficulty and new and inspiring ways to move along your characters development whilst enhancing the experience of actually pounding the piss out of enemies is consistently stimulating.

I went from hoping this game was gonna be decent to being utterly blown away folks. I think ultimately anyone who has an appreciation for fighters, action RPGs and brawler-types will find a love for this. If your idea of a good time sounds like tossing the 3 of those togeather and mixing thoroughly than you may just fall in love as I have.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 10:03:06 PM »

Can confirm, the Dev has banned using the PS4 to stream pretty much anything not multiplayer.

...why is this touted as a system feature again? It does nothing.

Am enjoying the hell out of this game though. Wife talked me into starting as a Frieza clan member. Nice bone grey exoskeleton...light pink gems, teal facial outers, very sandy tail and midriff skin, and a salmon colored main body skin. He's actually quite beautiful.

We also named him Salmanerra.

<.<
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:04:42 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 06:41:15 AM »

So ended up getting. The game is decent, but oh lord is it grindy. If you want to get skills, you also have to grind Parallel Quests like there is no tomorrow. If you want any full armor sets you have to grind Parallel Quests even more. I spent a good amount of time yesterday grinding the Raditz Parallel quest because the strike finisher was refusing to drop. Ended up only getting a single piece of the armor set that can drop from that mission. Luckily that one can be bought, but I think that most armor sets cannot be bought.

I'm building my char as a physical brawler and plan on maxing out basic attacks, health, and stamina. Only skill I will ever use is the Kaioken as I am a human meaning bonus to basic attacks when ki is maxed. Luckily I managed to get the Kaioken and Kaiaoken x3 in only one try yesterday, so no grinding for that (we'll see what happens when I get the x20 mission).
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »

So ended up getting. The game is decent, but oh lord is it grindy. If you want to get skills, you also have to grind Parallel Quests like there is no tomorrow. If you want any full armor sets you have to grind Parallel Quests even more. I spent a good amount of time yesterday grinding the Raditz Parallel quest because the strike finisher was refusing to drop. Ended up only getting a single piece of the armor set that can drop from that mission. Luckily that one can be bought, but I think that most armor sets cannot be bought.

I'm building my char as a physical brawler and plan on maxing out basic attacks, health, and stamina. Only skill I will ever use is the Kaioken as I am a human meaning bonus to basic attacks when ki is maxed. Luckily I managed to get the Kaioken and Kaiaoken x3 in only one try yesterday, so no grinding for that (we'll see what happens when I get the x20 mission).

I just finished the story mode and I must say, NOT grinding on your first characters play-through may prove a better way to tackle the game. There feels now more of a draw/purpose to PQ's and optional stuff if for no other reason than doing the lot of it with a single character/race demolishes story mode challenge and a ton of things I got via drops are way better suited for other characters.

This is of course all dependent upon how much you want to invest in the title. If you have no intention of doing much else aside from a single story run, suck all desired content from PQ's as you go for sure! But just be aware that the longevity, challenge and content of the PQ's seems to well exceed that of the main campaign.

A spoiler-free note on the story. It really is/was perfectly crafted Dragon Ball-cheeze. You could fool me and say Toriyama himself scripted this and I'd swallow it in a heartbeat. The careful selection of series content mingled with new material is genuine enough to strike me as a contemporary canon continuation to DBZ in a way more appropriate sense than the most recent movie addition or GT, for certain.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 06:51:41 AM »

Ugh, I just started to hit 5 star missions in PQs, and oh god I do not want to grind these for skills. I can handle individual enemies just fine, but when I have to deal with three NPCs that completely outclass my two com allies it just gets ridiculous. Thinking I might just have to finish the story and call the game done. Was hoping to get platinum, but I don't see that happening at this point. >.>
Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 02:39:29 PM »

Ugh, I just started to hit 5 star missions in PQs, and oh god I do not want to grind these for skills. I can handle individual enemies just fine, but when I have to deal with three NPCs that completely outclass my two com allies it just gets ridiculous. Thinking I might just have to finish the story and call the game done. Was hoping to get platinum, but I don't see that happening at this point. >.>

I feel the same way. On the positive, a simple work-aroumd to negate the difficulty is doing them online with human partners. Host the room yourself for it to count and even then it glitched and I didn't get ranked a few times for completion oddly enough, but the challenge was no longer retard-level-hard.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 06:50:30 AM »

Finished the story, it was alright.

I feel the same way. On the positive, a simple work-aroumd to negate the difficulty is doing them online with human partners. Host the room yourself for it to count and even then it glitched and I didn't get ranked a few times for completion oddly enough, but the challenge was no longer retard-level-hard.
Funny thing is that I have done a few more 5 star missions and it seems that the one initially giving me trouble was an outlier (honestly don't even remember which one it was at this point). However I have found two missions that are just evil. There are two missions where you have to fight every single super saiyan in a row (second one has even more characters). Now there are two problems with this set up. One you have to do it solo the first time. Two Goku and Adult Gohan spam Ultimate Kamehameha in the last round to the point where I frequently got hit by multiple of them with no chance of escape.

I have decided to build a unlimited ki saiyan to use to just grind all the skills until I get completely bored with the game. If the game is going to be cheap, I will too.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: