Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 11:10:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338107 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  PS3 graphical issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PS3 graphical issues  (Read 1800 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »

Okay, so first the system itself. I have an original 60 gig launch console, never repaired or modded, running essentially the same since day 1. I have only used blu rays and some ps1 and ps2 discs, never a dvd movie, bootleg or otherwise. Not a real point but i will mention i have used 7 different controllers on it, as well as a usb keyboard and headset, the Ps3 Eye camera, and have hooked my psp up to it a number of times, and have used the MS and SD slots on it.

Now the issue. Whenever i play certain (most) ps3 games, i get some very strange graphical problems. The biggest one is that certain parts of the terrain and characters will sometimes stretch all the way off the map, making for a strange experience to say the least. The latest game i played, deus ex, was a serious recipient of said errors. It also happens frequently in 3-D fighting games like tekken 6, Soul Calibur 4, and Tekken 5 DR. It hasn't affected the actual gameplay to the point of hampering my progress or entertainment, but it annoys the living hell out of me. Other noticeable issues are color getting skewed during areas loading up like in deus ex, and maybe it's just in my head but when the errors come up it feels like my ps3 chugs hard for it.

I heard from a few other ps3 owners that it could be a harddrive problem, but i figured lemme look around first. Any advice would be swell thanks.

TASTY!
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »

There's a good chance that your gpu has overheated and need re-balling. This is quite common for the original ps3's and later as well. The problem is usually the lead free solder that has a lower melting point then solder with lead. You know, you're friends might be right about the HDD, I'm just giving you the most common senario with the original 60
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »

Did this problem start suddenly?  Did you push a button on your TV remote to put it into wide zoom mode, or something?

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 01:02:06 AM »

It's been ongoing since Soul Calibur 4 released. So we're talking a couple years now. I'm running my system via hdmi to a sony bravia, kdlex500. 360 is connected as well, though it has no problems at all (though i did get a rrod last year). I'm probably going to contact sony with this and see about getting a repair or maybe a refurb if that's an option. I just want to see if anyone here had some less time consuming suggestions to try, or maybe a diagnosis i can use to contact sony with.

TASTY!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 12:28:22 AM »

Update:

It wasn't the harddrive. Sony's gonna charge me 150 to service it, so yeah kinda pissed. Gonna drag my heels on it til maybe after christmas and see about a ps vita first.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: