Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:13:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319582 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  the next big Jrpgs on xbox and ps3?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: the next big Jrpgs on xbox and ps3?  (Read 6562 times)
howitis

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2011, 08:48:23 PM »

Looking to save the world turn battle style.  Doesn't seem like there has been a jrpg for the xbox or ps3 in some time.  What is comming out other than ff13 2?  Wish we had wild arms, suikoden, breath of fire, and some new ips to go with it. 
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »

Doesn't seem like there has been a jrpg for the xbox or ps3 in some time.

Sorry, but that's just howitis.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »

Doesn't seem like there has been a jrpg for the xbox or ps3 in some time.

Sorry, but that's just howitis.

Actually, Atelier Totori came out relatively recently... but if you want a world saving epic and not something where you play as a girl running an alchemy shop you're going to have to dig deeper.

Alternatively: it may not be Japanese but the South Park RPG could scratch that turn based itch.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:49:59 PM »

Atelier Totori is not a big JRPG.

Big-budget super JRPGs are dead. RIP. Just buy  a PS1 and PS2 and play games you missed.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »

Looks like Persona 5 is the last hope.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
mjrpgfan

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:55:47 PM »

PS3 is getting a pretty big Super Robot Wars entry..

it's an SRPG, not an RPG, but pickings are slim
howitis

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:56:09 PM »

Big-budget super JRPGs are dead. RIP. Just buy  a PS1 and PS2 and play games you missed.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »

Big-budget super JRPGs are dead. RIP. Just buy handhelds because that's where they're all going.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »

That's just.. howitis.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »

Don't get me wrong! I wish we lived in an age where big budget JRPGs with provocative writing, well thought-out storylines, and innovative combat systems existed. I wish we could, man, but the world is just not that way. It hurts to think of the direction JRPGs have gone, and what the fans have become.

The last Iwata Asks hosted Takahashi (Xenoblade Director, former Squaresoft) and Sakaguchi (Mistwalker, Final Fantasy creator).  They discussed how JRPG development worked back in the day. Let me tell you, it was something incredible. The way teams worked back then was completely different.

Sakaguchi Quotes:
"You could say they’re missing that artisanal aspect, that craftsmanship."
"It could be that the ‘spirit’ that inspired that craftsmanship has grown weaker."

Sakaguchi admits that during development of games (FF6) back then, people would sometimes come up with amazing ideas that he would have NEVER come up with on his own, so he incorporated them into the game. Imagine being part of that creative JRPG thinktank.

There is a reason Square-Enix can't make another FF6/7, another Chrono Trigger, etc.

He also talked about Nobuo Uematsu would get so emotional while working with his friends on making games that he would often BREAK INTO TEARS.

Now all Square-Enix developers do is break into a sweat...

RIP JRPGS
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »

Well, there's Tales of Graces F coming out in March too! With FFXIII-2 in January, Tales in March and Xenoblade in April, my console JRPGs need will be satisfied for a while! And there's Atelier Meruru around the corner, too. In fact, I think 2012 is gonna be a good year for us!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:55:42 PM by Arhkaos » Logged

I have fury!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »

Well, there's Tales of Graces F coming out in March too! With FFXIII-2 in January, Tales in March and Xenoblade in April, my console JRPGs will be satisfied for a while! And there's Atelier Meruru around the corner, too. In fact, I think 2012 is gonna be a good year for us!

How dare you be positive!  Didn't you hear what Sagacious-T said?  It's all doom and gloom from here on out!

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 10:52:55 PM »

How dare you be positive!  Didn't you hear what Sagacious-T said?  It's all doom and gloom from here on out!

it generally IS on consoles... if you want something very specific. Look to handhelds or even just the Wii for Xenoblade and it's fine, though the transition period's kind of rough for handhelds.

And hell, with games like the South Park RPG coming out turn based combat doesn't look like it'll keel over and die at all.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 11:18:49 PM »

Well, there's Tales of Graces F coming out in March too! With FFXIII-2 in January, Tales in March and Xenoblade in April, my console JRPGs will be satisfied for a while! And there's Atelier Meruru around the corner, too. In fact, I think 2012 is gonna be a good year for us!

Personally I can't wait for Tales Anime Adventure #19, the spinoff of a shitty Final Fantasy game, and a game that isn't on Xbox 360 or PS3!

Though Xenoblade is damn good. Buy it imo.
howitis

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 12:00:41 AM »

they don't have to be big budget.  i refuse to believe the last 3 wild arms games had a large budget.   im sure a company can make an jrpg that is succesful if they set their sales goal at 100 - 200k,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: