Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327896 Posts in 13424 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  the next big Jrpgs on xbox and ps3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: the next big Jrpgs on xbox and ps3?  (Read 7146 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »

Sounds like Lufia.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »

OK, I'm going to quit being sarcastic for a second and respond seriously because honestly I'm sick of this whole 'JRPGs are dead' meme...

Let's look at the list of upcoming JRPGs.  Stupid trailer aside, Graces f is supposed to be a very good game with probably the best battle system in a Tails game yet.  Atelier Totori was a great game even if the style isn't for everyone and Meruru looks like it will be even better.  Xenoblade Chronicles seems to be considered by many to be one of the best JRPGs to come out in the last 10 years.  And even though I've been a very vocal FFXIII-hater I'm actually starting to warm up to XIII-2.  I still think the story will be complete crap but they are doing a lot to improve the gameplay experience.  Famitsu even gave it a perfect score (for whatever that's worth...).

And how the heck has nobody even mentioned Ni no Kuni yet?  That game looks gorgeous.  Definitely deserves more attention.

Europe is getting The Last Story and since NoA finally caved on Xenoblade it's not difficult to think we might get that too.  Further along I'm still optimistic about a Xillia localization, though it looks like that will have to wait until after the "director's cut" or whatever and given the slow localization of Tails games that will probably be 2013 at the earliest.  But if you really want to be complete there are also titles like Neptunia mk. 2 and Agarest 2 in 2012 though I'm much less optimistic about them.

That's just console titles.  Of course if you include handhelds there are even more.  Even in this awkward transition period between handheld systems there are still titles to look forward to like Type-0 (which has been all but confirmed for a western release of some sort, even if we don't know the details...) and Grand Knights History.  Oh yeah, and Devil Survivor 2.

I can't help but think that people are a bit too waxing nostalgic about the 'glory days' of JRPGs.  Sure there were a lot of titles, but how many of them were worth playing, really?  Every game I listed above (with the exceptions of Neptunia mk. 2 and Agarest 2) looks to be at least good, if not great.  If that's what it means to be 'dead', then JRPGs can stay dead for all I care.  There is no shortage of good games for me to play.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »

Squeenix enjoys propelling the big-budget RPGs, so maybe something cool will still come after 13-2 as well (and heck, Versus looks great so far).

Kingdom Hearts' will be on the horizon (BBS being one of the best games I played last year.... story aside).

I wouldn't mind seeing Capcom take another RPG on.... but...

Anyways, I thought Persona 5 was more or less stated it's in development as well... we'll go nuts over that. 

I'm too broke to really be keen on a ton of titles I gotta get, hell, this Autumn was brutal as is (whether you're an RPG fan or not).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »

JRPGs are kind of like punk music.

It's still around but has gotten progressively shittier and shittier, though some garage band comes out with a good song now and then.
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 01:57:55 PM »

Kinda surprised nobody has mentioned Dragon's Dogma or Kingdom of Amalur.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 02:20:55 PM »

Kingdoms of Amalur is not a JRPG.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »

All games are ROLE-playing games.

:D

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »

I suppose I agree with the statement that there are definitely more good WRPGs than good JRPGs for consoles right now. If you lump in hand-helds then I will totally change my tune. However, despite the dearth of good JRPGs, I still feel like the good ones are still very good. They make me excited to play them and when I'm done I want to play them again. Contrast that with all the good WRPGs, I feel like they are entertaining, but after I'm done there is no reason for me to go back and I don't really come away with any great feeling. It's like, good, I beat one more game I bought. Time to move along now. Sort of empty experiences, the notable exception being Deus Ex: HR.
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 02:54:13 PM »

Nor is Mass Effect 3 a JRPG, but I saw it mentioned here.  If you want "epic" RPGs on a console and not handheld, unfortunately we're being left with few JRPG options.  WRPGs have clearly taken over on the console side at least.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 05:56:59 PM »

OK, I'm going to quit being sarcastic for a second and respond seriously because honestly I'm sick of this whole 'JRPGs are dead' meme...

That's the thing, they ARE mostly dead. The thing about this generation of jRPGs is that they are few in number and mostly lacking in quality. Xenoblade may be called the best this generation, but lets face it, what competition does it actually have. A decent jRPG these days is like that one and only chick at math camp, she might not be the best looking or the most fun, but when there's no competition she's always the centre of attention.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 06:03:02 PM »

I'd actually argue thats where a lot of love for the Tales series comes from.  At least they're consistent releases (more or less).

Personally, I hate how lazy and poor the developers became as well, what with all this switching to the handheld systems.  And I guess while we eat-up celebrity gossip like a drug, the Japanese love their shitty girly games (Hatsune Miku sing-a-longs, IdolMaster, and whatever bizarre dating-sims or social games).  While the Vita will be great for forcing Japanese to up their quality, it's obvious they've been overshadowed.  WTF is Capcom doing these days anyways besides fighters?  I'm hoping Dragon Dogma turns into their next big thing, but without more press on it it's turning pretty gray on the radar for "who gives a fuck".

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »

WTF is Capcom doing these days anyways besides fighters?

Outside of that? Resident Evil. Though there's some excitement for Asura's Wrath, but that is only being published by them since CyberConnect2 is working on that game (you know the same guys that did Solatorobo, the Naturo, .hack games among many others).
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 07:04:24 PM »

Can somebody who disagrees with me actually respond to what I wrote?  I feel like a lot of people are just throwing up their hands saying there are no good console JRPGs without actually looking.  I just listed 6 quality console titles that out to all be out in 2012: Tales of Graces f, Atelier Meruru, Xenoblade Chronicles, FFXIII-2 (though admittedly I'm still a little skeptical on that one), Ni no Kuni, and The Last Story.  That's a damn good lineup.  And there are more I purposely didn't include because I wanted a list of good games, but they certainly exist.  How is that a shortage of games?  Heck, I can't even name that many Western RPGs coming out in 2012 (though the ones I can name look pretty damn good...).  WRPGs must be dead!

Now I completely agree that things were pretty grim early in this console generation but honestly it seems to be changing.  2012 looks like it will be a great year for JRPGs.

And that's not even counting the handheld titles...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2011, 07:13:29 PM »

The problem is looking for traditional, turn based RPGs on 360/PS3. When you narrow it that much you really only have the Atelier Games, FFXIII-2, and Ni No Kuni, and it's entirely possibly that Ni No Kuni is dull and boring and FFXIII-2 falls flat in ways similar to FFXIII (like I've said everywhere I'm waiting on import impressions), while the Atelier games aren't going for the epic scope I think the OP wanted.

You loosen up though and honestly, yeah, for consoles this is probably the best period for the whole generation. Handhelds it's weakening some, but that's largely due to the transition phase and there's STILL several solid choices that came out within the last year or will in the first few months of next year.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 05:27:16 AM »

I found the next big game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxdo03oFdI
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: