Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338011 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  the next big Jrpgs on xbox and ps3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: the next big Jrpgs on xbox and ps3?  (Read 7576 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2011, 05:29:29 AM »

Poetry:

It's an even more hyper-hyper dimension!
There's a hyperdimension
Here's another hyperdimension!
What awaits us on our hyperdimension's edge?
"I'm excited and nervous."
Get pumped up with hyperdimensional battles!
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2011, 12:26:35 AM »

Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:42 AM »

We're talking about REAL games here. Though I guess that's why you striked it out.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2011, 01:36:11 AM »

We're talking about REAL games here. Though I guess that's why you striked it out.

I didn't understand that.  Unless you meant by the fact it'll probably be out 2014.... December.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2011, 01:47:01 AM »

I didn't understand that.  Unless you meant by the fact it'll probably be out 2014.... December.

That's awfully optimistic!
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2011, 01:53:19 AM »

That's awfully optimistic!

*groan*  Why are Micro and Sony getting eager to announce PS4 and X820 or whatever the hell?
As far as I'm concerned, companies suck at meeting a reasonable time frame still.

I have a theory that FF Versus probably sucked, then reality struck like a plague with the backlash of FF13-1 and 14.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »

Versus XIII is just a series of nice trailers and nothing else at the moment, but it does look like a video game though.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »

Isn't Ni No Kuni the next big JRPG?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2011, 11:00:31 AM »

Need a new earthbound entry damnit! Call it mother 4 or earthbound 2 idc, but i want me some earth saving, puddle of puke murdering, psi-rockin abusing fun again.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »

Need a new earthbound entry damnit! Call it mother 4 or earthbound 2 idc, but i want me some earth saving, puddle of puke murdering, psi-rockin abusing fun again.

Well...
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2011, 12:03:58 PM »

it's entirely possibly that Ni No Kuni is dull and boring

Twenty-five hours in just now, and so far I'd say it's not. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it does a lot of things right and very few things wrong, and it definitely has some substance to match its shiny exterior.

That being said, your point does stand because it's not completely traditional either. While the plot, characters and setting are so classic SNES RPG that it basically just feels like a classic Dragon Quest game with Ghibli-styled characters and aesthetics, the battle system is mostly real-time, and often feels more like Kingdom Hearts with cutaway battle scenes than Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. Also, while your characters do feature in the battles themselves, more often than not you wind up fighting with your monsters. And while I hate the idea that anything with monster breeding must invariably be compared to Pokemon, there's also quite a heavy emphasis on training / evolving / catching said monsters, so... :'D Yeah, there is a bit of Pokemon mixed in there. Basically it's not really the throwback to the turn-based JRPGs of old that people want it to be in anything but plot.

Oh, and somebody mentioned The Last Story as a high quality title. Do exercise caution there - it starts strong, but I bought it at full price and ended up really, really regretting it. :/ I won't say it's out and out bad, as it does have some interesting ideas, but... well... were it not quite pretty, by the creator of Final Fantasy and given a big push by Nintendo, it's the sort of game that would be pretty quickly forgotten. Put it that way.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »

Can somebody who disagrees with me actually respond to what I wrote?  I feel like a lot of people are just throwing up their hands saying there are no good console JRPGs without actually looking.  I just listed 6 quality console titles that out to all be out in 2012: Tales of Graces f, Atelier Meruru, Xenoblade Chronicles, FFXIII-2 (though admittedly I'm still a little skeptical on that one), Ni no Kuni, and The Last Story.

I disagreed, and while I'm not exactly dead serious about the subject, with a tendency to somewhat inflate the issue beyond its actual scale, there is one thing worth pointing out about your argument:
Because most of the "good jRPGs" you named aren't even out yet, any one of them may very well turn out to be a dud. There's a big gap between "promising" and "good".
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:48:09 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »

Well, that's somewhat reassuring for Ni No Kuni... though I'll probably wait and just get other stuff that comes out at the same time.

Oh, and somebody mentioned The Last Story as a high quality title. Do exercise caution there - it starts strong, but I bought it at full price and ended up really, really regretting it. :/ I won't say it's out and out bad, as it does have some interesting ideas, but... well... were it not quite pretty, by the creator of Final Fantasy and given a big push by Nintendo, it's the sort of game that would be pretty quickly forgotten. Put it that way.

I've heard it described as REALLY FUN, but it falters in many areas beyond just being a fun game. It's probably worth buying the question is at what price? Then again given Japanese game prices I guess $50 WOULD sting a lot less.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2011, 05:03:47 PM »

Can somebody who disagrees with me actually respond to what I wrote?  I feel like a lot of people are just throwing up their hands saying there are no good console JRPGs without actually looking.  I just listed 6 quality console titles that out to all be out in 2012: Tales of Graces f, Atelier Meruru, Xenoblade Chronicles, FFXIII-2 (though admittedly I'm still a little skeptical on that one), Ni no Kuni, and The Last Story.

I disagreed, and while I'm not exactly dead serious about the subject, with a tendency to somewhat inflate the issue beyond its actual scale, there is one thing worth pointing out about your argument:
Most of the "good jRPGs" you named aren't even out yet. That right there is a sign that things aren't looking too hot at the moment, since any one of them may very well turn out to be a dud.

Yeah, you really have a point there. I got a PS3 mostly for those upcoming games, but I don't see much to play out of what's already on the system. Disgaea 4 and both Atelier games, but that's really it for me as far as JRPGs go. I was anticipated 3 other games, but they all turned out to be duds (Ar Tonelico, Rune Factory, and Hyper something or other Neptunia...those are the only games I've been wrong about since I first started playing RPGs). So yeah, things aren't looking good right now, and if those other games turn out to be duds, things'll be even worse.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Mym

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2011, 05:31:01 PM »

Most of the "good jRPGs" you named aren't even out yet. That right there is a sign that things aren't looking too hot at the moment, since any one of them may very well turn out to be a dud.

Japanese games do exist before they hit the US. All of the six listed bar Final Fantasy XIII-2 are out in Japan. The Last Story is the only one that has received any real negative response from players, and even then it's more of a love it or hate it thing, and it has its fans. The rest have received feedback that ranges from good (Tales of Graces and Ni no Kuni are both acknowledged to be quality titles with fun gameplay and lots of content) to great (the latter two games in the Arland series are pretty much the most widely-praised games Gust have ever made, and Xenoblade has been described by a number of players both Japanese and European as one of the best JRPGs ever). I guess you can make an argument for different markets having different tastes and things being changed in localisation, but it's a rare game that goes from being almost universally praised in Japan to being shunned as a dud overseas.

I've heard it described as REALLY FUN, but it falters in many areas beyond just being a fun game. It's probably worth buying the question is at what price? Then again given Japanese game prices I guess $50 WOULD sting a lot less.

Yeah, I've heard people say it's lots of fun, but one of my main problems with it was actually just that I found it really boring, and that I often had to force myself to play it. The story, characters and world are ultra-forgettable outside of a couple of cool set-pieces and one fun gag character, and the gameplay, while potentially interesting, is crippled by pathetically bad enemy AI and a difficulty level so low that it never really demands that you do anything besides mash attack. It's a shame because there are so many cool bells and whistles in its battle system, and I felt like I was missing out on so much by just mashing attack. But at the same time... like... if button mashing is actually more effective and the game's difficulty doesn't reward you for taking advantage of such things, why bother?

And yeah, suffice to say that wasn't the best decision I ever made. :'D It's not the worst game I've ever bought, but it's a contender for the worst I've bought at full price. I'd sell it on if I didn't sort of have a thing about selling on games. At least I got a pretty artbook and a premium soundtrack, I guess! I agree, in any case: it's worth a go because it does some quite interesting things with the JRPG formula, and I could see some people really liking it. Just... be careful about spending too much and regretting it later.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: