Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 03:04:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319306 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  the next big Jrpgs on xbox and ps3?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: the next big Jrpgs on xbox and ps3?  (Read 6547 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »

Yeah, I have a feeling Xenoblade's the kind of game that not only justifies the effort of importing but is very much worth double dipping on. Last Story is... well, if it gets localized great, if not I'll lament even a major console Hironobu Sakaguchi game isn't a guarantee anymore (though you could argue there's a reason for that beyond genre popularity.)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »

Can somebody who disagrees with me actually respond to what I wrote?  I feel like a lot of people are just throwing up their hands saying there are no good console JRPGs without actually looking.  I just listed 6 quality console titles that out to all be out in 2012: Tales of Graces f, Atelier Meruru, Xenoblade Chronicles, FFXIII-2 (though admittedly I'm still a little skeptical on that one), Ni no Kuni, and The Last Story.

I disagreed, and while I'm not exactly dead serious about the subject, with a tendency to somewhat inflate the issue beyond its actual scale, there is one thing worth pointing out about your argument:
Because most of the "good jRPGs" you named aren't even out yet, any one of them may very well turn out to be a dud. There's a big gap between "promising" and "good".

?!  The original question was about upcoming JRPGs, so I answered with upcoming JRPGs...now I get criticized for naming games that aren't out yet.

That's it, I quit...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2011, 03:07:18 AM »

Can somebody who disagrees with me actually respond to what I wrote?  I feel like a lot of people are just throwing up their hands saying there are no good console JRPGs without actually looking.  I just listed 6 quality console titles that out to all be out in 2012: Tales of Graces f, Atelier Meruru, Xenoblade Chronicles, FFXIII-2 (though admittedly I'm still a little skeptical on that one), Ni no Kuni, and The Last Story.

I disagreed, and while I'm not exactly dead serious about the subject, with a tendency to somewhat inflate the issue beyond its actual scale, there is one thing worth pointing out about your argument:
Because most of the "good jRPGs" you named aren't even out yet, any one of them may very well turn out to be a dud. There's a big gap between "promising" and "good".

?!  The original question was about upcoming JRPGs, so I answered with upcoming JRPGs...now I get criticized for naming games that aren't out yet.

That's it, I quit...

Given the drought, I don't blame you.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2011, 09:06:40 AM »

Japanese games do exist before they hit the US. All of the six listed bar Final Fantasy XIII-2 are out in Japan. The Last Story is the only one that has received any real negative response from players, and even then it's more of a love it or hate it thing, and it has its fans. The rest have received feedback that ranges from good (Tales of Graces and Ni no Kuni are both acknowledged to be quality titles with fun gameplay and lots of content) to great (the latter two games in the Arland series are pretty much the most widely-praised games Gust have ever made, and Xenoblade has been described by a number of players both Japanese and European as one of the best JRPGs ever). I guess you can make an argument for different markets having different tastes and things being changed in localisation, but it's a rare game that goes from being almost universally praised in Japan to being shunned as a dud overseas.

That's a fair point, though the part about different tastes stands as well. I still feel that the "just ok" games get elevated to awesome status because of the general lack of any real competition. To prove my point, dig up some old jRPGs that you thought ware "so so" back when they came out and see what you think of them now. You might be surprised. I'm also a fan of classic turn based battle systems, which makes finding anything for the PS3 or Wii that would completely suit my taste even harder.

That's it, I quit...

I was under the impression that the thread derailed into the "current state of jRPGs" discussion a while ago, if not then my bad. It was probably the "no good jRPGs part" that threw me off.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »

Who cares.  He listed pretty much every jRPG out and coming...

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »

I still feel that the "just ok" games get elevated to awesome status because of the general lack of any real competition.

I think I know what you mean. I have a friend who says the PS3 is a must-have if you like JRPGs, but when ever I ask him what great games the PS3 has, he tends to list stuff like Ar Tonelico Qoga, Trinity Universe, and Hyperdimension Neptunia - games that are okay in most respects, but not really that great.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »

I still feel that the "just ok" games get elevated to awesome status because of the general lack of any real competition.

I think I know what you mean. I have a friend who says the PS3 is a must-have if you like JRPGs, but when ever I ask him what great games the PS3 has, he tends to list stuff like Ar Tonelico Qoga, Trinity Universe, and Hyperdimension Neptunia - games that are okay in most respects, but not really that great.

Man, I don't want to sound like an asshole but how old is he? I can't imagine anyone that has played RPGs since at least the PSone and/or PS2 days saying that those games are great. Personally I think that those titles are garbage, but hey, there is an audience for those types of RPGs and there's nothing wrong about that. But what happenned with games like Valkyria Chronicles, Nier, Demon's Souls or even Disgaea 4?

Granted these games I mentioned do not have a turn-based battle system but gaming has changed a lot in the last few years and that type of battle system (for what I understand) was created back then because of the limitations of the systems themself in those days (dunno about SRPGs though, those games try to present themself in other manner than your typical JRPGs).
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »

Man, I don't want to sound like an asshole but how old is he? I can't imagine anyone that has played RPGs since at least the PSone and/or PS2 days saying that those games are great. Personally I think that those titles are garbage, but hey, there is an audience for those types of RPGs and there's nothing wrong about that. But what happenned with games like Valkyria Chronicles, Nier, Demon's Souls or even Disgaea 4?

He sometimes lists Nier and Demon's Souls too, it's just that he seems to put those other games on about the same level as Demon's Souls and Nier. As for his age, lets just say he's been playing RPGs since the NES era, yet he doesn't seem as tied down to the past as most. Hell, last time I asked him what his favorite RPGs were the oldest game he listed was Morrowind and King's Field IV. Granted, he seems to see the good in all RPGs, I think he's definitely exaggerating the quality of most PS3 JRPGs just because there aren't as many to play. Even if they are his kinda games, there are better games in those niches, some of which I'm sure he's played.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »

Nier isn't exactly a top quality JRPG either, and Demon's Souls hardly qualifies as a Japanese-style RPG.

We really are in a great console-JRPG drought right now. I know people shit on others that say this, but I'd really love for some PSX-style JRPGs to pop up again.

The state of the Japanese gaming industry really has a huge hand in this. The brains to keep JRPGs really good and still be market competitive just aren't there.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »

Nier and FFXIII-2 have saved an otherwise unimpressive RPG generation for me. The fact that the Shadow Hearts team is no more really soured any potential this gen had.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »

Nier and FFXIII-2 have saved an otherwise unimpressive RPG generation for me. The fact that the Shadow Hearts team is no more really soured any potential this gen had.

Would you vouch for FFXIII-2 being a good game to someone who disliked FFXIII?
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2011, 01:21:52 AM »

Actually, unanimous reaction seems to be in favor of that.  Not that FF13-1 set a high bar in anything other than graphics.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2011, 04:02:16 AM »

Actually, unanimous reaction seems to be in favor of that.  Not that FF13-1 set a high bar in anything other than graphics.

That's the problem, anything can be better than XIII and SE really doesn't have to make an effort to do another game set in the same setting/universe. I really got bored watching the game in the stream and that's mostly because the it looks exactly like XIII to me and I'm not going to even waste my time in giving it a chance.

And honestly, I didn't enjoy the characters in XIII so that's another reason of no matter how "better" XIII-2 might be I am not not giving it a chance. If anything, I only want SE to release FFType-0 and start giving us more information about Versus XIII.

He sometimes lists Nier and Demon's Souls too, it's just that he seems to put those other games on about the same level as Demon's Souls and Nier. As for his age, lets just say he's been playing RPGs since the NES era, yet he doesn't seem as tied down to the past as most. Hell, last time I asked him what his favorite RPGs were the oldest game he listed was Morrowind and King's Field IV. Granted, he seems to see the good in all RPGs, I think he's definitely exaggerating the quality of most PS3 JRPGs just because there aren't as many to play. Even if they are his kinda games, there are better games in those niches, some of which I'm sure he's played.

Huh. He has been playing RPGs way before I did... still, it seems that he says what are his favorites by how his mood is, which is something that happens to us all really.

Either way putting games like Nier or Demon's Souls on the same level as Neptunia is just wrong in my opinion. And is not a thing of being tied to the past or even nostalgia is just something of having standards after years and years of playing games of your favorite genre.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »

It's fixed literally all the problems FFXIII had aside from a shit story. Everything else is awesome.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »

it never ceases to amaze me how often "this game is better than that game" debates ensue.... I mean, we all realize by now that its a subjective matter based on what you value in your games thus no matter how strong an argument one might have, your never really going to "win" the given debate.... I personally love some "terrible" titles, purely for the aesthics.... I'm an artist by trade and I just can't help but be sucked in by particular styled visuals.... in that light, I can easily see how someone could favor Neptunia over alot of other titles... mind you when I say "styled visuals" I do in fact mean the "style" often and NOT the quality of the graphics.... hell, I appreciate the mood and style of some very primitive RPG's over alot of the current gen. stuff... but that is another topic entirely....

As for XIII-2 it looks like this to me... alot of flash without much substance, and while very steam-punkish in style (which I appreciate) that fact is really bull-dozed over by some heavy sci-fi (bad thing for me).... monster catching/raising/using in battle (never a good sign IMO unless we are talking SRPGs)..... as far as the story goes, I think it will be hard to even give it a fair chance because I was left so unattached to any element of it from the first title... in other words, even if this is done right as far as the story goes its too little too late far me, I could already care less..... same case for the cast, meaning I will find it difficult to care about them based on the bad taste left in my mouth as well..... we do get time travel though and I'm always a sucker for that....

As for what I'm looking forward to the most out of the next year? Probably the Tales and Atelier titles. Xenoblade would have been my first choice but I'm already 70 odd hours into the Euro version.... and on that note The Last Story has also got me pretty excited :) 

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: