Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 06:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318868 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Your Top Five Albums of 2011
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Your Top Five Albums of 2011  (Read 4094 times)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »

The whole time I listened to that Arch/Matheos album, I couldn't help but think how much better it would be with Ray Alder singing. :P  Musically it's great, but I have never been a fan of John Arch's singing and probably never will be.

RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2011, 06:49:11 PM »

You're not the only one, dude.  I'm a bit of a vinyl junkie for just that reason... that and I think guitars sound better on vinyl than anything else. Okay, another reason is that I can get bands to autograph physical media, whereas you can't put an autograph on a stream of data. 

Man, the vinyl resurgence that's been going on the last few years is just SO fucking cool. Not that easy on my pocketbook, to be sure, but listening to Master of Puppets on vinyl after having the CD for 15 years was just....wow. Almost like hearing it for the first time again. And I can definitely relate to the autograph thing. Would have felt REALLY stupid earlier in the year when I went to see Rush if I'd had to ask Alex Lifeson "Hey, dude, can you sign my iPod?"

And, living in Alaska, I have to travel rather extensively to see the two or three gigs I get to see every year and I'm sure as hell not bringing any of my guitars with me.

I should probably add Arch/Matheos to the list....best Fates Warning album to come out in over a decade.
Solstafir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 03:01:14 AM »

The whole time I listened to that Arch/Matheos album, I couldn't help but think how much better it would be with Ray Alder singing. :P  Musically it's great, but I have never been a fan of John Arch's singing and probably never will be.
I'm a huge John Arch fanboy (he's probably my favorite vocalist and The Spectre Within is probably my favorite album) and I've only heard Alder on No Exit (which I didn't care for / know he changed his style a bit later on in Fates Warning), so I can only really disagree, admittedly partially due to ignorance. I believe that at least part of the songwriting was done with intention for it to be a Fates Warning album (with Alder), but that was not able to be a reality for some reason and so enter John Arch. The music aspect of it really is just alright for me, truth be told, as I'm not really into that style a huge deal. John Arch's voice and lyrics certainly makes me enjoy the album more than I likely otherwise would have.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »

I only found out about this by accident this week, but it may be a contender here.  This is some of the strangest, yet most fun music I've heard. It combines trance, Jpop, and melodic death metal with autotuned growls and clean female vocals. It sounds like a disaster recipe that shouldn't work, but it does! This is easily some of the most creative stuff I've seen come out of Japan lately.

The album is "Epsilon" by Blood Stain Child

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bloodstainchild
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:22:15 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »

I'm a huge John Arch fanboy (he's probably my favorite vocalist and The Spectre Within is probably my favorite album) and I've only heard Alder on No Exit (which I didn't care for / know he changed his style a bit later on in Fates Warning), so I can only really disagree, admittedly partially due to ignorance. I believe that at least part of the songwriting was done with intention for it to be a Fates Warning album (with Alder), but that was not able to be a reality for some reason and so enter John Arch. The music aspect of it really is just alright for me, truth be told, as I'm not really into that style a huge deal. John Arch's voice and lyrics certainly makes me enjoy the album more than I likely otherwise would have.

Do yourself a favor and pick up "A Pleasant Shade of Gray". IMO, it's one of the greatest albums ever created, by ANY band. And if not the greatest, then at least one of the most cohesive and unique. It's musical epic poetry. Even if you don't bother with the rest of the Alder Era (which is hit and miss), APSOG is not to be missed. It's not really even Fates Warning anymore, but something else entirely.

I should re-itterate this, ANYONE who is into progressive rock/metal, should go out and get A Pleasant Shade of Gray this instant if they don't already own it!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 06:14:36 AM »

I absolutely second that: APSOG is a fucking AMAZING album (although for my money, Still Life is where it's at....the live version just KILLS).

Solstafir, if I can make a recommendation, give Ray Alder a chance. Check out Parallels and the aforementioned APSOG, as well as his work in Redemption, starting with The Origins of Ruin. If you're still not digging him, at least it won't be purely based on a 24 year old performance.

Or, the flipside happens and you pick yourself up a shit ton of badass new tunes. :)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »

YES! Still Life is absolutely stunning. It was the first Fates Warning album I ever picked up. To be honest, when I finally bought the studio album (though I had heard it many times before), I realized that I slightly preferred the performance on Still Life. It's slightly more dramatic and bombastic, and Ray adds some fabulous vocalizations along the way that I always miss when I hear the studio version. Unfortunately, the crowd is recorded quite loud in parts, and it can take away from the serene wonder of the piece.

But fuck, even if you debate the quality of live APSOG, you still get a selection of, arguably, FWs best Alder-era works, including the stunning "Monument" and "Eleventh Hour"... progrock masterpieces that shouldn't be missed.

So yeah, Still Life is, all around, an EXCELLENT place to start with Alder-era Fates Warning.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 03:45:41 AM »

Well, here's a list I made.

1. Balam Acab - Wander/Wonder
2. Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
3. Ducktails - III: Arcade Dynamics
4. Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) - Home After Three Months Away
5. The Weeknd - House of Balloons
6. Atlas Sound - Parallax
7. Earth - Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light I
8. Pygmy Lush - Old Friends
9. Circle - Infektio
10. Deafheaven - Roads to Judah
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »

I really didn't buy a whole lot of cd's this year, but I have enough for a top 5 I guess.

5. Theory of a Deadman - The Truth is...
4. Bush - Sound of Winter
3. Adelita's Way - Home School Valedictorian
2. Black Stone Cherry - Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
1. Seether - Holding Onto Strings Better Left to Fray
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: