Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 06:53:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340890 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Christopher Hitchens dead at 62
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Christopher Hitchens dead at 62  (Read 2042 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2011, 04:30:04 AM »

Pretty much anybody with some interest in religious philosophy would have known this guy.

Didn't always agree with him, but I always found him to be a well-spoken and intelligent guy. I also liked him a lot more than Dawkins since I felt the latter has a real holier-than-thou attitude a lot of the time.

Shitsux.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 05:56:13 AM »

Didn't he support the Iraq war?
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 06:15:00 AM »

Yeah, he did. Like I said, don't agree with everything he says. =P

That one is pretty funny consdering how pissed he was off about the Vietnam War.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 06:19:31 AM »

I learned a lot from the guy. He was a very interesting public figure. He will be missed.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 06:58:24 AM »

It's too bad. :/

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about this. He was such a well-spoken voice of reason. He will be sorely missed.
I have zero interest in any religious discussion right now, but I'll add a few great quotes from him here.

"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.”

“The only position that leaves me with no cognitive dissonance is atheism. It is not a creed. Death is certain, replacing both the siren-song of Paradise and the dread of Hell. Life on this earth, with all its mystery and beauty and pain, is then to be lived far more intensely: we stumble and get up, we are sad, confident, insecure, feel loneliness and joy and love. There is nothing more; but I want nothing more.”

It is truly a sad day.
: - (

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:20:15 PM »

Damn... that really sucks.  I really liked his differing points of view and courage to stand up to anybody, no matter how controversial the situation was.  I especially liked it when he was on Hannity & Colmes back in 2007 after Jerry Falwell died, dang was that awesome!

We already lost George Carlin who was a great mind, and now we've lost Hitchens...I shudder to think who's next...

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 02:22:41 AM »

I prefer Dawkins much of the time. I found Hitchins to be an arrogant waste of a mind, most of what I read or heard from him. That may be an unpopular position, but I stand by it. Far, far more intelligent and even-minded men have contributed more deeply and effectively to the body of human philosophy, and in much the same field he did.

My problem with Hitchins is not that he's an atheist, nor an anti-theological zealot, but that he was altogether a hypocrite and a religious bible-beater of a particular brand. I have no patience, nor liking for those kinds of people. At least his bond companion could admit not only when he was wrong, but that he could be wrong. For me, Hitchins was little more than the model person he most hatred: Seductive, irrational, and selfish.

No voice of reason there, merely a voice of hatred and malice. Whatever good he may have said or written was far outweighed by his own ineptitude. Rest in peace, Chris, and if there is life again, I hope you come back with a bit of humanity in you.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

I remember seeing him on NBC a few times and thinking he was kind of a d-bag. Any death is sad and tragic (unless we're talking people like Stalin), but still. Thought he was kind of a d-bag.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »

Damn shame. He'll be sorely missed.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 09:05:51 PM »

I didn't really know much about this guy until he died, but I watched a bunch of youtube clips last night and came to the conclusion that this guy was totally rad.
I was so atheist last night, not even funny.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »

I was so atheist last night, not even funny.

I was an atheist before it was even cool also I totally was not believing in god with your mom last night. In bed.

The bed also didn't believe in god. It did at first but then I engaged it in rigorous debate and convinced it through reasoning and even-tempered rationalism that higher cosmologies were simply impossible.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »

there are no atheists in bed with meshgear
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 07:27:54 AM »

My problem with Hitchins is not that he's an atheist, nor an anti-theological zealot, but that he was altogether a hypocrite and a religious bible-beater of a particular brand. I have no patience, nor liking for those kinds of people.

I would say that Dawkins really isn't any different in that regard, though Dawkins is certainly a lot more..."polite", I suppose, is the best word. One thing I just don't like too much about Dawkins though, is that whenever he steps outside his area of study, he seems a bit naive.

Like, you had stuff like this where Dawkins goes ahead and follows Hitchen's lead on something, but it doesn't seem like he has any basic understanding of what exactly is happening on the legal side of things. It's clear that Dawkins is only in it to demerit priests specifically, but he doesn't bother at least researching a LITTLE bit into the legal side of things, whereas Hitchens, at least, seemed to know the real point of contention was the fact that the Pope was claiming power as a head of state. Some respond to that by saying that Dawkins knows he's not an expert on the subject and thus tries not to answer, but I find it silly that he can't answer a very basic question about it if he's been talking to lawyers about it for as long as he's claimed.

Hitchens was definately a huge dick a lot of the time though, I will never deny that.

For me, Hitchins was little more than the model person he most hatred: Seductive, irrational, and selfish.

I tend to feel that just about any high-profile person involved in these discussions have those qualities. =P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:30:20 AM by Hathen » Logged
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »

Then you haven't run into Bishop Desmond Tutu or the Dalai Lama. :P
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: