Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 03:45:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338798 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New FFIII review.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New FFIII review.  (Read 2606 times)
GeekyDad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2006, 10:18:18 AM »

There's a new review for the game on this very site:

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/finalfantasy3ds/index.html

If I wasn't psyched before (which I very much have been), I sure am now!
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 09:06:59 PM »

The reviewer certainly has his own personal tastes, including a love for the job/ability system. He called FFIII the "second-best", with FFV being the "first best." So yeah...the man clearly likes gameplay more than story.

However, the fact that the story has been re-worked to include (GASP) real character development...yeah that's a big plus to me.

Also, having fiddled around with the Famicom version, it sounds like there are a LOT of improvements.

The one thing that bothers me is that, like so many DS RPGs, this simply could have been a GBA game. The second screen is barely used, and the touchpad is an optional element for movement and and menu selection.

None of my complaints, however, will stop me from preordering the game.

Ramza

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 09:11:11 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
The one thing that bothers me is that, like so many DS RPGs, this simply could have been a GBA game.

You could produce N64-quality on the GBA? I never knew! :P

It probably could've been thrown on the GBA as a 2D title, but eh. You could also say FFVII could've been done on the SNES, but there may be a good bit of dialogue and other crap in the remake that simply couldn't be put in the GBA game - this is the second DS game I know of to have loading, the first being M&L (and even then, rarely). But at any rate, I'm getting this game too as soon as I can, but I probably won't preorder thanks a lot to them deciding to release this just /two weeks/ after FFXII. That'll change if some nice goodie comes along though.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 09:28:22 PM »

You could produce N64-quality on the GBA? I never knew! :P

Yeah I didn't think of that. I just meant, they could put it on the GBA cartridge, which you can stick in a DS system.

You're right.

Ramza

arizlaan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 06:03:58 AM »

Do you think that this graphic is going to look any better on nintendos DS?,I do ...I think it can be better than this..i know what GBA can do with 32 bits its looks awesome the need of the speed undergound on GBA is just great,but sad to say that they also use the some old graphic on DS too for undergound 2

that my pont here.........it might be better

god is god
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 10:54:23 AM »

Its Square Enix; Im pretty sure they tried to do good graphics.
Most of the time, screenshots don't really give a game justice.  Only when its in full motion do you become impressed.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 11:36:05 AM »

Quote from: "arizlaan"
Do you think that this graphic is going to look any better on nintendos DS?,I do ...I think it can be better than this..i know what GBA can do with 32 bits its looks awesome the need of the speed undergound on GBA is just great,but sad to say that they also use the some old graphic on DS too for undergound 2

that my pont here.........it might be better

You seriously think that this looks better than this?

Also keep in mind that every DS screenshot you see tends to be in a way higher resolution than the DS actually runs in, which make things look warped and grainy.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 12:13:30 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
The one thing that bothers me is that, like so many DS RPGs, this simply could have been a GBA game

I think it's better that way, as although the ds revolutionises the way we play handheld videogames, it doesn't have to change the fundamental aspects of a genre. RPGs have never required any physical skill to play, so its not really necessary for all of them to require it now with a new console, in my opinion. Sure, I'd like to see more RPGs like Lostmagic, but I think overall I'd prefer games like FF III that are a bit more traditional. Come to think of it, the only "normal" games I know of for the ds before FF III have been either strategy or role-playing games (Advance Wars and Castlevania come to mind). But then, I'm the purist kind of gamer who doesn't like too many different kinds of games.

And just to be clear, when i say "normal" games, I mean ones that were possible to make for a handheld before a touch screen and microphone and all the other things the ds has.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 03:22:21 PM »

New Super Mario Bros. was perfectly feasible. The graphics just needed to be cut down/kept to 2D, and use the damn select button to drop items rather than the touch screen - really silly and unnecessary use of it there. Hell, I say it was more traditional than CV was, what with it's seal drawing shit.

Mario Kart could probably be done on something like the PSP perfectly, and the only reason it coudln't be done  on the GBA is due to the 3D. And it /looks/ like MMZX doesn't depend on the touch screen in any significant way. Heck, I might be forgetting some more here. :P

Quote from: "KeeperX"
You seriously think that this looks better than this?

Also keep in mind that every DS screenshot you see tends to be in a way higher resolution than the DS actually runs in, which make things look warped and grainy.

You understood what he said? I thought we misled him that this was a GBA game going to the DS game or something. That, or he was just rambling incoherently.

Edit: How did I not notice the double post? Ah well, these two are  merged.
GeekyDad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 05:15:28 PM »

"[G]rainy" being the key word, in my opinion. The pixels for the DS screens are pretty much the same size as those in my computer monitor. Now when you shrink the picture down and the pixel size remains the same it can definitely make the final product have a grainy appearance. That's not to take away from the quality and sharpness of what SE did on their end, but it's the reality of how the DS performs.

Anyway, I hope the gameplay is as good as the reviewer says it is. I was happy with the story in FFII (from Dawn of Souls), but the gameplay sunk that game for me. Hopefully "random" battles are toned down in this version of III, and there's more required from players with respect to getting through most battles.

As to whether or not this game could have worked on the GBA, the main producer's opinion was that a fully 3D game would translate better to today's audiences; and I'm inclined to agree with him. I'm glad it's on the DS, even though all the graphic power is mostly being concentrated onto one screen throughout much of the game.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 04:31:32 PM »

Quote from: "GeekyDad"

"[G]rainy" being the key word, in my opinion.

Grainy, I wouldn't say that... Sure, the Castlevania anime intro may have quite a lot off "jaggies", but its not true that all ds graphics are grainy. The cinematics for Metroid are verging on fmv quality, for instance - a special video engine was developed for the game. And the cutscenes for this game have a similarly huge amount of pixels (for a handheld thats not the psp).

I know u're talking about screenshots and not the ds itself, but even so, there is a lot can be done with the thing with a bit of effort. The psp makes the graphics on ds look like a toddler's scribbles, but most ds games are 2d so its a bit unfair to compare the consoles in graphical (not to mention hardware) terms. The fact that the ds can do isometric field graphics that are much smoother than ff 7 (it so does - the character models look horrible in 7, but theyre fine in 3) says something, doesn't it?

Before anyone says "WTF?! OMG HOW CAN U SAY THAT???", all the lovely backgrounds in ff 7 were pre-rendered, and theres no pre-rendering in ff 3... And 7's fmvs looked rubbish compared to 8 and 9's, so the fmvs are better on a ds game (just 7, not the others)! XD
GeekyDad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 09:57:49 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
Quote from: "GeekyDad"

"[G]rainy" being the key word, in my opinion.

Grainy, I wouldn't say that...I know u're talking about screenshots and not the ds itself, but even so...

Actually, I was referring to the DS itself, and not pertaining to its inability to perform texture filtering, its frame-rate, poly count, or any of those aspects. I'm referring specifically to the physical make up of the actual screens themselves. The pixels, as far as I can tell, are relatively the same size as those found on your average computer monitor. When you take an image -- any image -- and shrink it down to fit the size of the DS screens but the size of the pixels remains the same, what you end up with is too few pixels to translate all that might otherwise be present in the actual graphic data.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 03:17:19 PM »

In the nicest way possible, you are a bit of a geek, GD. It's not the fact that you notice the difference in quality (I'm sure most of us don't), it's that you understand why, and can explain it coherently to us "lesser mortals" (sarcasm intended here). There's nothing wrong with knowing stuff like that, it's just my brother is very geeky, so I know what it's like to have someone, whenever you play God of War, to tell you that "there were only 3 Gorgons, not hundreds of them", when I know perfectly well that it's not accurate to Greek Mythology. I don't hate him for doing that, so I've nothing against "geeks", I just know what a real-life one is like. And you're like him only not annoying. That's a compliment, believe me... (also sarcasm - he's not that annoying :P)

Edit: And before anyone asks, I'm not a "geek", just your regular "nerd". (that's not being sarcastic)
GeekyDad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 08:50:51 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
In the nicest way possible, you are a bit of a geek, GD...

Well, like the name says ;) . Anyway, my "real life" was over the day I said "I do" to the woman who is now my wife. This "geeky" life now has to suffice in the absence of all that once was...all that coolness that you now get to experience in my stead :p .

In any case, I am very much looking forward to FFIII. The gentleman who reviewed the game (per the above link) has given me that much more to hope for. The DS is currently my favorite way to experience video games, but it's had a huge lack of decent RPGs to offer.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: