Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:53:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319079 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdom Hearts Series Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Kingdom Hearts Series Discussion  (Read 1433 times)
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:52:13 AM »

There's no thread for this, so I'll be the first one to create it.

So yes, discuss the KH series without mentioning its ridiculous Yaoi fanbase so that we can have more discussion for this series.

Also, to start on something, here's the sweet lengthy trailer for KH 3D. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlex8ja2eNI

After playing TWEWY at last, I'm really excited to see the cast doing very significant stuff in the story.

Kupo'ing to Victory! ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:56:39 AM »

I lost interest in it when Japan subjected it to filler-hell, like they can't seem to resist doing with most of their stories. A spin-off here or there is fine but since they seem to be allergic to keeping up the main narrative and the amount of consoles you need to own to get the 'complete' story...really not worth it. :-\ It's not like this is some epic Greek story either; it's just a Disney x Squaresoft tale.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »

I thin it's stupid that Nomura is acting like a pisshead about KH3 because the handheld's haven't sold up to snuff... but I do say that Birth By Sleep is not only the best in the series (weird for a spinoff), but one of the best games I played that entire year.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:07:04 PM »

I remember once upon a time, I really used to dig this series, until the massive amount of retcon work started happening. I hated the mechanics of Chain of Memories, but the story elements on both ends I thought were really cool and led into KH2 quite nicely. Coded and 358/2 Days, I thought, were largely pointless and freaking DULL as hell. Birth By Sleep was a very worthwhile game, for a prequel, and thus far the only "side story" game that I've been able to enjoy, enough that I'm willing to give 3D a chance. I hope it's good. Honestly, though, without some serious news about KH3 coming out soon, I don't think I'll be sticking around with this series much longer.
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 03:55:17 PM »

Am I the only one who hates cross-universe stuff? I mean I just can't stand square + disney..... not saying the games are bad, in fact in all honestly I can't give em a fair shot because square + disney is like dipping chocolate in ketchup to me.... in other words, its something I would never think to do and doesn't appeal to me in the least....

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »

Am I the only one who hates cross-universe stuff? I mean I just can't stand square + disney..... not saying the games are bad, in fact in all honestly I can't give em a fair shot because square + disney is like dipping chocolate in ketchup to me.... in other words, its something I would never think to do and doesn't appeal to me in the least....

Yet it tastes delicious (okay, not really, but KH does work).

Anyways, KH1 is my favorite RPG of all time, and unlike some people on this board, I haven't lost my love for the series. KH: Chain of Memories was great, and tied the first two games quite nicely. KH2, as I've mentioned in my first post ever here, was the most disappointing game I've ever played. Luckily Birth By Sleep and 358/2 Days made up for that. 3D looks like it could top both of them and I'm really looking forward to it.^_^

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »

my interest in this series fell off a table and was never picked up off the floor the day i learned you can only control Sora in the original game.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »

I thin it's stupid that Nomura is acting like a pisshead about KH3 because the handheld's haven't sold up to snuff... but I do say that Birth By Sleep is not only the best in the series (weird for a spinoff), but one of the best games I played that entire year.

This. This this this. BbS was surprisingly and quite unexpectedly beautiful.

I like this series. I think KH2 was this incredible step forward, and then most everything after that was steps backward (until BbS).

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 08:54:33 PM »

This. This this this. BbS was surprisingly and quite unexpectedly beautiful.

I like this series. I think KH2 was this incredible step forward, and then most everything after that was steps backward (until BbS).

Just curious (since nobody's actually explained it to me before) but how did you think KH2 was a step forward?

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »

KH2 was a step forward in every aspect of the gameplay.

Unfortunately the story turned to shit.

AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 10:10:32 PM »

And button mashing was the way to go, mostly.

Kupo'ing to Victory! ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »

Yeah, the original didn't involve button mashing at all.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 11:37:51 PM »

And button mashing was the way to go, mostly.

Heh, just about to say that. I had to put KH2 on Proud before I was able to enjoy it. It was too easy to fall into just mashing the X-button, otherwise. Even then, when things got hectic, that's what I tended to do. And for the record, I never found mashing X to be very effective in KH1, especially since Magic was more important in that game.

Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 12:36:51 AM »

I'm very fond of the first game (sans unskippable cutscenes) and the GBA one. It was a lighthearted adventure with very little doses of melodrama and the plot integrated really well with the Disney cast. It's a shame the series is dead to me after the trainwreck called KH2.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who enjoyed the first KH battle system. You could block, glide, roll, counterattack, everything without the need to be in one of those "fusion forms" gimmick (don't remember what the game called it). How disappointed I was when I discovered I couldn't freely glide anymore, because Sora had to be in a certain form. To add salt to the wound, the game was composed of large rooms without treasures you had to jump around/glide to get. Everything was in plain sight. Not to mention the craptastic story, weak soundtrack when compared to first one. Rant, rant, rant...

I wonder if they will ruin TWEWY too. The potential is there.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 11:04:05 AM »

I'm very fond of the first game (sans unskippable cutscenes) and the GBA one. It was a lighthearted adventure with very little doses of melodrama and the plot integrated really well with the Disney cast. It's a shame the series is dead to me after the trainwreck called KH2.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who enjoyed the first KH battle system. You could block, glide, roll, counterattack, everything without the need to be in one of those "fusion forms" gimmick (don't remember what the game called it). How disappointed I was when I discovered I couldn't freely glide anymore, because Sora had to be in a certain form. To add salt to the wound, the game was composed of large rooms without treasures you had to jump around/glide to get. Everything was in plain sight. Not to mention the craptastic story, weak soundtrack when compared to first one. Rant, rant, rant...

Nope, I loved the KH1's battle system too, for all the same reasons. And you pretty much spelled out why I disliked KH2 so much, sans the already-talked-about button-mashing and the new art-style (the FF/KH characters no longer blend with the Disney characters like they used to).

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: