Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 12:27:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332935 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Atlus Game Announcement Thread - Mark 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: Atlus Game Announcement Thread - Mark 2  (Read 9789 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »

trine just came out I dont have figures on that. But that ball rolling dd game I heard didnt sell well

It had a Steam sale and Atlus handled publishing on there. Whether or not it succeeded on consoles it probably did OK enough there.

I'm all for more western games if they pick GOOD ONES, they may be an easier way to make money for them and they're always more niche releases anyway so technically it's more that Atlus is covering a wider range of niche game. It's just really lame when it's something like Cursed Crusade that ends up a steaming pile of crap rather than good games like Trine or Rock of Ages.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2012, 07:03:50 PM »

What they did is they purposely picked the western titles that were crap like cursed crusade, that they could make some money with not caring about quality.

Nis america has a title like that on the way too.

I think they just figured they should do the games that make the fans happy right now because you cant push them any farther
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »

What they did is they purposely picked the western titles that were crap like cursed crusade, that they could make some money with not caring about quality.

Uhhh, except maybe for the 101 Games releases (in which case is "go for casual games to shore up money in order to release stuff our fans actually want") and maybe the Game of Thrones RPG (which is more "get something that's spun off a popular series AND may overlap with our fanbase a lot!) no game actually falls under that. Cursed Crusade was picked early enough that they probably thought it was promising, and by the time it came out they just had to stick with it, and it's already pointed out Rock of Ages and Trine 2 ARE both very good games. There's easily a sea of crappier DD games to have picked, and likely cheaper too, than those two.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »

that one was obvious

it was all about the casual dollar there. I am sure that worked too

The game of thrones game is getting alot of negative feedback

But with devl survivor 2, gungir, growlanser, announced with likely more to come I can forget about the 1 or 2 throw away games.

Last year there lineup consiisted of naruto, throw away games, casual games, dd, and maybe 1 first party rpg, it was dismal

I didnt say rock of ages was bad I just dont tink it sold well
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2012, 08:22:43 PM »

2011: Radiant Historia, P2: Innocent Sin, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Catherine. The last one isn't an RPG, but it IS first-party, appealed to a lot of the core Atlus fans, and is their biggest selling game.

And yeah, there were throwaway and casual games in between. What, do you expect Atlus USA to sit on their asses and twiddle their thumbs in between first-party games? They have a business to run and money to make so they can AFFORD to localize said first-party games. Some of these throwaway/casuals will fail, but sometimes it's hard to tell ahead of time. By the time they realize it's crap, like Eusis said, it's probably too late and they've already invested too much to not bring it out.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2012, 08:33:19 PM »

Radiant Historia - Incredible, the best game they localized
P2: Innocent Sin - I gve them props for localizing this for the first time
Devil Survivor Overclocked - a greedy cash in port
Catherine - Very nice.

Now, what do all of these titles have in common, and what are all of these titles not?

Its a pretty simple riddle, but once you solve it I will tell you why even these games piss old time atlus fans off

and why it hasnt quenched the rage in some hearts.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2012, 09:40:39 PM »

Are you referring to the fact that they are all in-house titles?  Because if so, then you aren't expressing an understanding of the current market.

In the PSone era (and to an extent, the beginning of the PS2 era), there were few third-party publishers that localized JRPGs specifically.  When you had hardcore games that were not properties of a major publisher come to market, they tended to be from Working Designs or Atlus.  Enix published Enix games, Square published Square games, Capcom published Capcom games, and Konami published Konami games.  There were one-offs, sure, like Midway publishing the first two Shadow Hearts games and SCEA publishing the first few Wild ARMs games.

The market is more crowded today.  All of the aforementioned publishers still publish their own games.  There are exceptions here, as well, like when Ubisoft published Drakengard 2, or when Nintendo publishes some of Square Enix's handheld games.  However, when it comes to third-party localization, the field is more crowded.  While Working Designs is obviously no longer around, the market has seen rise to XSEED, Aksys, Ignition, and NIS America in a space where there were fewer publishers competing for licenses.  You are also seeing Japanese companies with US arms, now.  Marvelous and LEVEL-5 both have offices in North America to focus on their titles.  There are fewer quality third-party titles to go around, especially as development costs for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 titles have risen.

Atlus doesn't have the pick of the litter anymore when it comes to the games that they can localize.  Dragon's Crown is Ignition's baby, Grand Knights History is XSEED's, Disgaea is NIS America's, Hoshigami Remix was Aksys'.  These are all titles that are from developers that Atlus had previously published for.  If your complaint is that they are localizing fewer third-party titles, you simply have to look at the market to see why that is true.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »

I completely understand the current market and you win the prize

Are you referring to the fact that they are all in-house titles?  Because if so, then you aren't expressing an understanding of the current market.

Even in the snes era, thrid parties published others games. It happened all the time as a matter of fact. square did it quite alot.

The market today has more competition ( a nicer word than crowded), you are right about that. But with more competition, there actually have been more games in development.

"There are fewer quality third-party titles to go around, especially as development costs for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 titles have risen."

This isnt true. The first part at least. In my opinion.

"Atlus doesn't have the pick of the litter anymore when it comes to the games that they can localize"

You do realized they skipped out on around 5 other sting games, and other games from series they started but never finished. I can think of at least 10 third party titles that they could of done or at least formed deals to do.

So they did have choices.

"If your complaint is that they are localizing fewer third-party titles, you simply have to look at the market to see why that is true."

It isnt even really only my complaint, in fact I was basically converted after some hard truths were uncovered.

Can we move on to a new topic on this too

I get enough of this kind of talk on the atlus board.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:46:37 PM by VampiricDragon_ » Logged
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »

I get enough of this kind of talk on the atlus board.

Maybe that's why they banned you.

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showpost.php?p=273202&postcount=278

http://www.atlus.com/forum/showpost.php?p=273215&postcount=283

vvvvvvvvvvvvv
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:01:23 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »

if you dont know what your talking about please, dont spread rumors.

back on topic

There was a rumor going around that someone was interested in srw og 3 on the ps3.

What do you think the odds are that atlus was that company?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:09:29 PM by VampiricDragon_ » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »

back on topic

There was a rumor going around that someone was interested in srw og 3 on the ps3.

So what happened to trying to change the subject?

Personally, I'm far more interested in the subject that Akanbe- brought up rather than the constant Atlus hatin' you've been subjecting us to.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »

VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »

Who is atlus hating? I love atlus?

I love them so much I want to see them get better and better. Criticism might come off as "hating" sometimes but its really not

And I hope atlus does get super robot wars OG 3. I think it would be a perfect game for them to do. Its on the ps3, which for some reason people think it will sell more. Its an srpg (a series theyve done before)

I think it would be really cool. If they did it I would have to give them 10 brownie points

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2012, 10:05:19 AM »

Who is atlus hating? I love atlus?

I love them so much I want to see them get better and better. Criticism might come off as "hating" sometimes but its really not

And I hope atlus does get super robot wars OG 3. I think it would be a perfect game for them to do. Its on the ps3, which for some reason people think it will sell more. Its an srpg (a series theyve done before)

I think it would be really cool. If they did it I would have to give them 10 brownie points

And you know what would make this easier? Posting your criticisms on a board that people from Atlus actually read. Which I should add is not this one. In fact I highly suggest you going over to an Atlus related board and spam there instead of shitting up the threads I and other RPGFan posters made here. And if all else fails just sign up over at GameFags instead. They love that kind of shit posting over there.
Code:
Although we both know that you've been there and done that already and are now clamoring for attention elsewhere like a starving mutt.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:44 AM »

Your insulting is distasteful.

I do that too. I am one of many people that post criticism on game boards. Atlus, nisa, xseed, square, sony, nintendo, namco. I have no prejudice.

In fact Ive met many dear friends in the industry that way

But be honest. We post here to get different opinions from the people here. If every post was on the board of the company it was suppose to be on we wouldn't have a board here. Its criticism, it isnt hating.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:57:18 AM by VampiricDragon_ » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: