Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:07:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334548 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Looking for turn-based RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Looking for turn-based RPGs  (Read 1645 times)
wattage

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »

Hello folks. I'm new to the forums, but I've been a reader of RPGFan for a while. I'm looking for suggestions for turn-based RPGs. They can be old or new and be on any system, though I prefer PC.

I realize turn-based can mean lots of things to lots of people. So here's how I define a turn-based RPG. It's one in which I control one or more people on an adventure and when I encounter an enemy, I can take my time and issue commands without worry. If I wanted to, I could even put down the controller (or keyboard), go make a sandwich, come back and not have been sliced or vaporized in my absence.

Some examples of games like this that I've played and enjoyed are Wild Arms (PS1), Final Fantasy X (PS2), Dragon Warrior (NES). I recently found the following games on Steam and GOG.com: Avadon The Black Fortress, Breath of Death VII, Cthulu Saves the World, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Arcanum of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Of those, Breath of Death and Temple of Elemental Evil are exactly the type I'm after. No action happens until you're ready for it to happen.

Just wanted to put the question out to the community. What are some others? Thanks!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:14:51 PM »

PC is outside my area of expertise, but I do know of a decent free game: Ahriman's Prophecy. It's the precursor to Aveyond, so if you like Ahriman's Prophecy, you'll have a whole series to look forward to. You may also want to check the PC section of the reviews, since this site does handle some lesser known PC RPGs, including traditional ones. Already I'm seeing 3 Stars of Destiny and To the Moon with high ratings.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:23:07 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:20:50 PM »

Fallout 1 and 2, when combat starts it turns turn based and works on a grid similar to a strategy RPG. Fallout 3 and beyond MAY be worth considering anyway because VATS is in spirit what you want (game pauses, lets you select a target to attack) even though it's real time beyond that. Then there's Ultima I-VII, but I think things keep going whether or not you act plus all the Ultimas aged to some extent so they may be hard to get into. For the pre-7 games (or at least 1-5) you may want to grab Ultima 4 and see if you can get into it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:01:33 PM by Eusis » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »

The Disgaea games are always good, as is Tactics Ogre.  Technically, those are strategy RPGs, but they're still turn-based.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:06:54 PM »

Try Evolution Worlds for the GameCube. It's really simple, but it has a combination of roguelike/RPG.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:14:52 PM »

Go hit the GOG.com sale right now.  Tons of great turn-based games from the 90s there.  I'm a huge fan of Arcanum, despite how buggy it is.  All of the infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, etc." are quasi-turn based and pausable at any point.  Might + Magic is all purely turnbased.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
wattage

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »

Thanks for the responses everyone. Great suggestions so far! I guess these sorts of games are not so much in demand these days. Would be great to see a new turn-based game on a modern platform.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 05:35:19 PM »

If you're willing to dip into handhelds, there's a lot better recent stuff - Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS), Radiant Historia (DS), Legend of Heroes (PSP), amongst others.  It's all in the 16-bit vein of games, though.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 07:16:07 PM »

16 or 32-bit, but that's just being pedantic. Nevertheless it IS the better place for newer turn based stuff, turn based gameplay has something of a stigma of being "old fashioned" which I don't think is really fair, but it's not an issue for handheld releases like it is for console games.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »

Ultima IV is free on GOG
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »

... I said that. And linked to it.
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 05:57:22 AM »

Dungeon crawling in the Bards Tale style:

Wizardry: LOLS on PS3 / PSN
Etrian Odyssey 1-3 on DS
SMT Strange Journey on DS
Wizardry VI, VII, 8 or Gold on PC

Turn based RPG:

Any of the Suikoden series (2 and 5 esp) on PS/PS2/PSP
Dragon Age: Origins (using the pause system, it feels turn based) on PC
Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) or IX (DS)
Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 or PSP

etc
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 08:49:05 AM by Themadcow » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »

Baldur's Gate Series
Icewind Dale
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 08:54:23 AM »

For PC there's also Septerra Core, I know it's turn based but also uses an ATB system which I can't quite remember how it all works out because I haven't played it since release. It's definitely a bit of an oddity at least for when it came out because back then PC games were PC games and console games were console games but this played just like a console game but was for PC. It's also available on GoG though for a decent price.

Most anything else I can think of that would fit in your criteria has already been mentioned, ie. Infinity Engine games. Essentially though if you look into most PC rpgs made in the 90s or early 2000s that are not first-person they will be turn based.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 11:39:29 AM »

Shin Megami Tensei games are turn based (excepting the Raidou sub series). Look for Nocturne, the Persona series, Digitial Devil Saga, etc. They can be found on the PS2 or on the PSP. They also released Devil Surivor on the DS (with a remake on the 3DS) and are releasing Devil Survivor 2 soon.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: