Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 10:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331786 Posts in 13584 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fortune Summoners (Carpe Fulgur's latest)- demo is fun
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fortune Summoners (Carpe Fulgur's latest)- demo is fun  (Read 627 times)
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2012/1012.html

I'm a couple hours into the demo and man is it FUN!  The 2D sidescrolling goodness makes me feel like a kid again.  If you dig games like Popful Mail, Eternal Daughter, or the VanillaWare stuff, this'll be up your alley.  The storyline is pretty basic so far, centering around an adventurous young girl named Arche who's new in town and trying to fit in.  She's pretty deft with a sword, but all the kids in her new school use magic and her family can't afford an Elemental Stone to allow her to participate in magic class.  Although Arche makes a new friend, there are a couple of students who tease her and stuff.  She doesn't let it get to her, though.  I like that even though the mages tell her that she should wield a staff or dagger, she cheerfully says how she likes using swords.  

Yeah, the story isn't Le Morte de Arthur or anything, but this game is more about the gameplay anyway.  The graphics are stylish but nothing flashy.  The style is more cartoony cutesy.  The vibe of the game is so cute... but even in the early going it's no stroll down lollipop lane.  Button mashing will actually put you in harm's way and its finessed use of the controls that will see you through even normal battles.  The controls are fairly tight, though jumping can be a little floaty.  This is definitely a game you want to play with a gamepad.  

As soon as I met a swordswoman at an armor shop complaining about revealing armor, I totally grinned since that's something I complain about all the time in my reviews.  

The only negative I have is that the music is pretty nondescript.  The voices are cute, though. 

I'd recommend checking out the demo.  This doujin 2D sidescrolling action-RPG is quite fun.  

EDIT: I just finished the demo (the prologue).  2 hours 41 minutes and I even unlocked an optional bonus dungeon, which was amusing to do.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:13:38 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 01:35:37 PM »

I liked it. Kind of a bit clunky. It seems VERY clunky at first, but then you find out you're just being a newb and doing it wrong. Still a bit awkward even after you've figured out you aren't supposed to run up and mash attack as fast as you can. I think mostly because you have to do moves starting from a neutral position. Like if I want to do a flying jumpkick(Forward > Up > attack) I can't be walking forward and then roll up and do a jumpkick. I actually have to stop, THEN do > ^ attack. Kind of goes against your Street Fighter sensibilities.

Still, it's pretty fun and left me wanting more.
Adon237

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »

I liked it. Kind of a bit clunky. It seems VERY clunky at first, but then you find out you're just being a newb and doing it wrong. Still a bit awkward even after you've figured out you aren't supposed to run up and mash attack as fast as you can. I think mostly because you have to do moves starting from a neutral position. Like if I want to do a flying jumpkick(Forward > Up > attack) I can't be walking forward and then roll up and do a jumpkick. I actually have to stop, THEN do > ^ attack. Kind of goes against your Street Fighter sensibilities.

Still, it's pretty fun and left me wanting more.
This is true. I very enjoyed it, did anyone else get any nostalgia?
beach1

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:47:17 AM »

I'm liking this a lot too from the demo. It does remind me of older games like Ys 3 and Popful Mail, etc. I'm also loving the overall cuteness of the game and the charming 2-d graphics.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: