Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 02:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327435 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Games You'd Like To Give Another Chance And Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print
Author Topic: Games You'd Like To Give Another Chance And Why?  (Read 9933 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2012, 06:03:39 PM »

Hey after all the assholes I saw walking around with naruto head protectors, nothing can truly surprise me anymore.

So...that phased you that a primarily teenage demographic wears a singular article of clothing in support of a fandom they enjoy but decades of grown adults standing around shirtless and covered in archaic war paint at 4 in the morning for the same reason, on top of probably owning hundreds of dollars in clothing to support same sports fandom didn't? >.> Just sayin'...

On topic I'd actually love to give Fallout 3 another chance. New Vegas really taught me how to properly explore an open world hybrid like the series evolved into; unfortunately I was still too much in my mindset of disliking the change from it's top-down ancestors to fully get immersed into the game. I saw a friend playing in on 360 the other day and that rekindled my interest. Unfortunately there seems to be some unspoken ban against the PS3 version of the GotY version. PC? Got it. 360? Got it. PS3? I live near the second largest city in the state and there isn't a Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, not even a Vintage Stock which carries it. :-\
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »

I found Fallout 3 to be worlds better than New Vegas. just a personal preference thing, but I found the whole cowboys and gamblers routine to be incredibly silly after a while. Fallout 3 is classy as hell.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2012, 07:52:15 PM »

which is odd really because typically I don't get into sci-fi stuff at all.... X-Com is not sci-fi to me though.... X-Com is awesome-ness... end of story

X-Com's like Fallout 1 and Wasteland in that it's firmly seated in retro futurism and isn't really sci-fi in the strictest sense. While the overt raygun gothic of Apoc was the most obvious case of this, the style of UFO  Defense was heavily informed by the UFO culture of the 50s-70s. Terror from the Deep was straight out of Jules Verne, Lovecraft, and those bizarre "Weasels Ripped my Flesh" things. Also the diving suits on your squaddies were old-timey pressurized diving-suit things.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »

Hey after all the assholes I saw walking around with naruto head protectors, nothing can truly surprise me anymore.

So...that phased you that a primarily teenage demographic wears a singular article of clothing in support of a fandom they enjoy but decades of grown adults standing around shirtless and covered in archaic war paint at 4 in the morning for the same reason, on top of probably owning hundreds of dollars in clothing to support same sports fandom didn't? >.> Just sayin'...

On topic I'd actually love to give Fallout 3 another chance. New Vegas really taught me how to properly explore an open world hybrid like the series evolved into; unfortunately I was still too much in my mindset of disliking the change from it's top-down ancestors to fully get immersed into the game. I saw a friend playing in on 360 the other day and that rekindled my interest. Unfortunately there seems to be some unspoken ban against the PS3 version of the GotY version. PC? Got it. 360? Got it. PS3? I live near the second largest city in the state and there isn't a Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, not even a Vintage Stock which carries it. :-\

This forum isn't large enough to express my hate for professional sports and the idiocy that follows it. I wouldn't condone anything sports related.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »

I've seen a guy fully dressed up as Naruto on the train before. A few times at that.

Uhh, yeah...
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »

I don't think I ever give games another chance.  My decisions are final!!!  wahahahaha
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2012, 05:40:21 PM »

I've seen a guy fully dressed up as Naruto on the train before. A few times at that.

Uhh, yeah...

Since a couple of years, there's an anime/manga/game convention in Montreal. It's pretty funny to look at the 'normal' folks' reactions to all the cosplayers in the metro.
Also, one year, the convention building they used had a scrapbooking convention going on at the same time. The look on some of those grannies' faces were awesome when they saw some of the intense cosplayers.

---

I've given up on maybe a handful of games in my life and I'm perfectly fine with never touching them again. Usually, I'll stick to it unless it's that bad like Infinite Undiscovery or Eternal Sonata (the game is actually good... but the cutscenes killed it for me, which is not helped by the fact that the game tries and tell you 3 stories at once)
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2012, 07:30:07 PM »

Not sure it counts as an RPG (but, hey, if Valkyria Chronicles does...) but for anyone who wanted to retry the X-Com games... Firaxis announced 3 days ago that it is remaking the original game for Q4 2012.

This is now the game I'm most eager to see this year.

Holy shit this is awesome news. I had not heard about this. I fucking love X-COM more than almost any other games. I actually prefer Apocalypse to the original but I have no doubt that this remake will fucking rule.

As for games I want to replay, I definitely never gave any of the Star Ocean games a fair shake. I hope to some day shake them once more.
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »

Aye, it's immense news about X-Com. More screens and snippets have been revealed which suggest it'll be pretty faithful to the original but, well, 'streamlined' for the modern gamer. As long as the core gameplay remains intact and they don't dumb it down too much I'll be happy as a pig in poo.

On the downside, it now appears that the game wont let one panicked soldier in your squad massacre everyone else with random plasma-fire or a grenade - boo!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2012, 11:19:57 AM »

Uhh, yeah...
SIGH.... only in SoCal. :P

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: