Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 07:41:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327270 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Games You'd Like To Give Another Chance And Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Games You'd Like To Give Another Chance And Why?  (Read 9924 times)
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »

I'm sure I can list a ton but on the top of my head

Front Mission 3
Strangely enough, I like the game, characters, settings, etc. The thing is that it gets way too hard way too soon, and at least until the pont I made I could not do random battles to gain more XP, some cash, or items, so battles became harder and harder.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
This game has an amazing scenario BUT you gives you so little and asks for so much. It's like every random encounter can one hit KO you and your party. It comes to a point I decided to use cheats and even so the game is insanely hard. When I met Dante I knew I wouldn't be able to move on. On the other hand all the mistery keep me wanting to see more and more.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 11:02:09 PM »

Vagrant Story: I was loving this game and I got bogged down and ended up stopping. I'd really like to go back eventually as I seriously loved the first few hours.

Dark Cloud: I was playing this and my memory card failed, didn't even know that could happen, I was so annoyed that I couldn't make myself start over, which is a shame cause I was really having fun.

Growlanser Generations: One of those that fell by the way-side while playing way too many other games, another one of those I was enjoying just got pushed aside and didn't feel like trying to remember where I was in the game.

.hack Series: I finished Infection and Mutation and was @ half through with Outbreak when I simply got tired of the battle and inventory system, not sure I'd be willing to go back to the first two games simply to finish the series but I might...

Shadow of the Colossus: I just didn't "get it", but I loved the visuals so maybe...

Rule of Rose: actually never played it but I watched the Little Lady play and I really, really wanna play this game one day!

Everything's Eventual
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 03:49:39 AM »

I wanted some dragon quest recently. But I've played 8 and the ds ones 2+ times each(Except 6, but that was the most recent one I played. And if you count the snes fantranslation I guess you could say twice on it too). So I reluctantly loaded up 7.

Between the hate it got here and my own complaints I convinced myself I hated this game. Having a 4 player party limit and 5 characters who forcefully swap in and out, stunting character growth in a game heavy on the character building? Especially when Melvin really didn't really need to even be there, was and is bullshit a pretty big design flaw. And then you've got things like the slow start. But you know what? I'm playing it and I'm having fun. And I had fun 10 years ago. I just kind of forgot.

Yeah. DQVII is a game that REALLY needs a make over. And not even stuffs like reducing the sheer amount of grind necessary for everything (especially the monster hearts) but even basic stuffs like making it so that at least the various shards aren't stuck in permanently missable locations like that one in the cave during the first visit to the region with Deja Tribe.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
This game has an amazing scenario BUT you gives you so little and asks for so much. It's like every random encounter can one hit KO you and your party. It comes to a point I decided to use cheats and even so the game is insanely hard. When I met Dante I knew I wouldn't be able to move on. On the other hand all the mistery keep me wanting to see more and more.

Sorry, but I never had that problem. Yes, I died once or twice in regular fights, but only throughout the whole game. (Boss fights are a different matter, however, though you usually get a save point soon before them, so they're not that big of a deal.) I never had a problem with the difficulty, so long as I fought strategically and knew what I was doing; I never even had to grind. It was challenging, but not to the point of throwing your controller against the wall, and was quite satisfying as a result. But it isn't easy, so I guess I can see where you're coming from.

As for me... Baldur's Gate 2. The story was interesting, the characters were interesting, the sidequests were interesting, everything was interesting... except for one thing; the combat. I hated the combat; it felt like you had absolutely no control over what your characters were doing, and that all you do was send them out, click repeatedly on the enemy, give them potions if necessary, and see if they win. And spells were another problem; instead of having MP, and instead of being able to use all of your spells, you could only have so many spells at a time, and each spell had limited use; if you ran out, you had run off and go rest until your spells are recovered. I'm sorry, but when I'm in a battle in a RP, I want full, complete control over my characters, (at least as much as can be expected in a Turn-Basesd RPG,) and that also extends to my spells. And while Baldur's Gate 2 was full of detail and good writing, if the combat's not worth it, I might as well play a Graphic Adventure or Visual Novel instead, or better yet, read a book. But, I don't know, maybe I was looking at the wrong way. Maybe there's something I 'm missing. In any case, I might take another look at BG2, just to see whether there was something I overlooked... or if I was right on the mark.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »

.Hack Quarantine

After I got the final part I was distracted by FFXII so I only got to play the start of Quarantine.I want to finish it someday.
.hack Series: I finished Infection and Mutation and was @ half through with Outbreak when I simply got tired of the battle and inventory system, not sure I'd be willing to go back to the first two games simply to finish the series but I might...

Not missing out on much.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 01:50:03 PM »

As for me... Baldur's Gate 2. The story was interesting, the characters were interesting, the sidequests were interesting, everything was interesting... except for one thing; the combat. I hated the combat; it felt like you had absolutely no control over what your characters were doing, and that all you do was send them out, click repeatedly on the enemy, give them potions if necessary, and see if they win. And spells were another problem; instead of having MP, and instead of being able to use all of your spells, you could only have so many spells at a time, and each spell had limited use; if you ran out, you had run off and go rest until your spells are recovered. I'm sorry, but when I'm in a battle in a RP, I want full, complete control over my characters, (at least as much as can be expected in a Turn-Basesd RPG,) and that also extends to my spells. And while Baldur's Gate 2 was full of detail and good writing, if the combat's not worth it, I might as well play a Graphic Adventure or Visual Novel instead, or better yet, read a book. But, I don't know, maybe I was looking at the wrong way. Maybe there's something I 'm missing. In any case, I might take another look at BG2, just to see whether there was something I overlooked... or if I was right on the mark.

You are the first person I've seen make comments like this, but man I really don't understand it.  If you ask me you have way more control in a Baldur's Gate game than in most turn-based RPGs...not only can you do all the same things you do in any RPG (attack, use items, cast spells, use special abilities, etc.) but you have complete control over the timing since the game is moving in real time and the positioning of your characters actually matters.  Position ought to be an essential part of your strategy, in fact.  And I don't know why you were repeatedly clicking on enemies since you only need to click when you want to do something different.  If you just want your guys to keep attacking the same enemy they'll do so on their own.

Of course there are a lot of things to  manage so pausing is essential.  The game was designed for pause & play.  In fact you can set the game to autopause on certain events so that you don't miss them.  If you weren't frequently pausing while you played and issuing orders while paused then you were playing it wrong...

As for the spell system, well that's straight out of D&D.  If you had ever played a game of D&D you would be used to it but I guess for those who haven't it might seem strange.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »

And I don't know why you were repeatedly clicking on enemies since you only need to click when you want to do something different.  If you just want your guys to keep attacking the same enemy they'll do so on their own.

I think I know why. Turn off the AI. It's junk.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 02:15:29 PM »

Final Fantasy XIII. I got right up to the part when you go to Pulse and just got tired of it. Now that FXIII-2 is coming out soon, I'm debating giving another go.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 02:43:23 PM »

Kingdom Hearts. The general series. The story always sounded awfully convoluted but from what little I played the gameplay was great.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:45:23 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »

.Hack Quarantine

After I got the final part I was distracted by FFXII so I only got to play the start of Quarantine.I want to finish it someday.

Yeah!  I borrowed the first .Hack game from a friend, loved it enough to buy the 2nd, then the 3rd and 4th... but somehow didn't play much more than the start of Quarantine.  I just looked at it a few days ago, and wondered if .Hack//GU was even better.

I also want to play Last Rebellion more seriously.  As low-tech as it is, the game is fun, and the atmosphere is dark like megaten.

I think I've held every last Kingdom Hearts game in my hand, and never bought one.  I am always wondering when I will cave in, and I can say with certainty that it will be the 3DS game... but the series is in a weird place with me; I'm not disinterested, but not quite curious enough to give it a shot.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 04:42:49 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »

.Hack Quarantine

Yeah!  I borrowed the first .Hack game from a friend, loved it enough to buy the 2nd, then the 3rd and 4th... but somehow didn't play much more than the start of Quarantine.  I just looked at it a few days ago, and wondered if .Hack//GU was even better.

I also want to play Last Rebellion more seriously.  As low-tech as it is, the game is fun, and the atmosphere is dark like megaten.

The problem with the original .//Hack series is that it's about two or three whole games too long for the content it contains. There is a lot of grinding in each game and the actual plot relevant content over the entire quadology could easily fit onto one whole disk.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »

And I don't know why you were repeatedly clicking on enemies since you only need to click when you want to do something different.  If you just want your guys to keep attacking the same enemy they'll do so on their own.

Pretty well a true story.

I also need to finish BG2. I really like the game, but I get so far into it then get sidetracked by another series. I don't always have the chance to commit a lot of time to games, so I have to play them in really spread out spurts, and sometimes things will fall to the wayside. But yeah, I really do need to finish Baldur's Gate 2. And Baldur's Gate, for that matter...

Final Fantasy IV-VI: I've more or less finished all three titles, but have gotten stuck with a need to grind, and I'm just not really in the mood sometimes... y'know? Still, I do want to complete them.

FFII: I just could not get into it my first time in, and I think I'll really have to work on it for my next attempt, but I own it and I really ought to play out more than an hour and really get through this entry in the series.

Sword of Mana: Got sidetracked and haven't yet returned to it. Really should finish it, because I was liking the classic Secret of Mana vibe it held.

Majora's Mask: Yet again, got into it, but then something else came around that ate up my time. Still, a fun entry into the series that I need to get back to.

That's about all I can dream up currently... I'm usually pretty good about sticking to my titles, but sometimes you just get in a kick to travel across Tamriel/Skyrim or post-apocalyptc D.C. and it really consumes your gaming. Then there's the FPS cravings! But, I've a lot of life ahead of me to read many a good book and play many a good game again. There will be time ^_^

Just Greg, thanks.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 08:33:59 PM »

Sword of Mana: Got sidetracked and haven't yet returned to it. Really should finish it, because I was liking the classic Secret of Mana vibe it held.

If you can actually find and emulate the original game, Final Fantasy Adventure for the gameboy, try that. The fact the script is rather pedestrian works in the game's favor. A lot of people (myself included) hated Sword of Mana's story because they took a pretty simple story and made it so morally conflicting (He's a bad guy...but we should feel sorry for him are we in the wrong OH NO) in every aspect. Plus the fact the combat is kinda broken.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »

That's...a really good point.  It's been long enough since I've played that I honestly forgot about the AI. I always turned it off.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 11:38:57 PM »

Kingdom Hearts. The general series. The story always sounded awfully convoluted but from what little I played the gameplay was great.

I have beaten KHI and II, and have had no additional urge to continue with the series for similar reasons. However, both I have played are top notch. If you're trying to avoid the convoluted story, just play and beat the first, then pretend the rest never happened. It really is a stand alone story without the real need for sequels.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: