Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 02:57:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327632 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Games You'd Like To Give Another Chance And Why?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Games You'd Like To Give Another Chance And Why?  (Read 9948 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:10:50 PM »

After playing Dragon Warrior again and actually enjoying it the second time around, I've been thinking a lot about games I should give a second chance. It's interesting how going into a game with a different mindset makes it so you enjoy games differently. Basically, the idea here is what games didn't you like the first time you played it that you think you should probably play again? Why do you think you didn't like it the first time, and why did you think you'd think differently now/later?

For me it's mostly RPGs I played when I was new to the genre, like Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy 1 (GBA/PSP), and Golden Sun, as well as some non-RPGs like Banjo-Kazooie:

Final Fantasy VI - Every time I've played this game, I've found new reasons to dislike it, from the story, the characters, the combat, ecetera ad nausium. However, I think I've finally come to term with most of it's problems, especially when I think about how I've put up with far worse in Final Fantasy 1 for the NES and still greatly enjoyed it. Compared to that, FF6's problems seem incredibly miniscule.

Golden Sun - It starts out very slow and there's too much dialogue, but the biggest problem was that it was too easy and the combat's too simple. However, after playing the Xeno series, which has far more dialogue, and Breath of Fire GBA, which has even simpler gameplay and a similar lack of difficulty, yet I enjoyed both games immensely, I think I could easily forgive Golden Sun's shortcomings now.

Final Fantasy 1 (GBA/PSP) - Like with Golden Sun, it was too easy and too simple, but once again, Breath of Fire, while not quite as simple, was similar in most ways, and I've been hooked on that game for quite some time. I think if I came into it with the same mindset I brought to BoF, I could easily enjoy it and maybe even come to love it.

Kingdom Hearts II - I went in expecting it to be exactly like Kingdom Hearts 1 and was extremely disappointed to find it very different. I think if I just go in expecting an enjoyable game, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Super Mario RPG - I expected it to be as top-notch as Paper Mario, only to be disappointed. Again, I think I shouldn't hold it to such high standards. If I just expect to enjoy it, who knows, maybe I will?

The World Ends With You - I'm gonna have to ignore the hipster atmosphere, hope to G-d that the angsty teens get better towards the end of the game at least, and that I can get a handle on the gameplay, but all that does sound doable...just...it's work...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 09:13:14 PM »

FF6 is one of mine because it feels like it takes forever to get started.

DDS1, I've mentioned my hate for the way too many random battles. So there.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »

Nostalgia - DS

I feel like I should like this game. It has features in it that I love yet this game somehow pushes me away. Things may go better if I give it another attempt.

Dragon Age - PS3

I think I just did not give this game the chance it deserved. If I have time over Christmas I will retry it.

Breath of Fire 3 - PSP

I love BoF IV and think I should like this also. I pretty much just gave up on this game after foolishly looking at a thread on gamefaqs. It explained about the master system and the amount of missables contained within.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers - Wii
This game was one of the three I got with my Wii. I played this game for about an hour before putting it on the shelf. I partly blame Rune Factory Frontier for this. I hate the idea of only giving a game an hour chance so I will play it eventually. I think it was the main characters personality that drove me away. He reminded me of Luso from FFTA2.

I am pretty sure I will give them all another chance. I still remember when I used to damn Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter for its very existence. While it is not my favourite game now, I still had a blast when I gave it another shot.  
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:27:44 PM by Darilon » Logged

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »

I am currently giving the Wild Arms series another chance, starting with an Alter Code F run-through.... not that I didn't like the games, I just got caught up with other and never played anything past the 2nd.... I'm really liking Alter Code F by the way, with the exception of some extraordinarily poor gameplay aspects such as the lack of equipment and inability to talk to townspeople unless you are positioned abso-freakin-lutely-perfect in front of em.... But its all forgivable in light of the titles finer points.

Someday I want to get back to Zelda series, especially with skyward sword out now.... I stopped at Wind Waker, once again, because other titles took precedence.

Breath of Fire 5/DQ is the only Breath of Fire I didn't play-through and it is one of my favorite series to date.....

Devil Summoner and Digital Devil saga someday......

Ohhhh and I also totally need to finish up Xenosaga.... Loved the games and have too much time invested into it to not polish off the trilogy....

Come to think of it.... I could probably fill a whole year up with back-logged titles sitting on my shelf.... quite a few PSP games I've yet to even crack open that I know I will love....

Bottom line for me, too many games, not enough time...... My job demands upward of 12 hours a day 7 days a week..... I've worked like that for years now.... It's really cut into gaming..... Then again it has provided me a nice selection on the shelf and a hell of alot of memorabilia......

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »

It does take forever to get started, that was one of the things that put me off it at first. Personally, since I put up with Final Fantasy XIII, which takes far longer to get started, I'd probably be able to get over that. I dunno how you'd feel about that, though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »

Breath of Fire 3 - PSP

I love BoF IV and think I should like this also. I pretty much just gave up on this game after foolishly looking at a thread on gamefaqs. It explained about the master system and the amount of missables contained within.

The missables aren't necessary for completion or even fun really.  I guess it might be important if you are trying to beat the extra boss, but other than that, no need.  Master system is pretty easy.  Just pay attention to the stat upgrades and spells.  I made a second run through with Nina mastering Emitai and she was blasting everyone's face off. 

For me -

Final Fantasy 8 - I didn't like a lot of things about this game.  I hated how you had to build weapons, which would probably annoy me less these days.  I hated the draw/junction system, and probably still would, but I want to give it another shot regardless.

Dragon Quest 7 - The opening bored me to tears.  I kind of want to give it another shot because I've enjoyed other DQ games since (DQ7 was my first) trying 7.

FFTA: War of the Lions - Stopped playing this because I bought Tactics Ogre and liked it better.  Seems like a good game, but it was hard.  I wonder if I was doing something wrong.

SMT Nocturne - This is a definite try again, just need to finish the games I'm currently playing.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »

FFIX. Hated the glacial battle system, the endless melodrama, and the same Disk IV shenanigans that FFVIII pulled, but seeing it in LP form has given me a better perspective of the game's charms and attention to detail (also I'm far more familiar with the references that game loaded into itself having gone back and played through the rest of the series instead of a hint of IV, most of VI, VII, and VIII). Still wouldn't want to play through it again though due to the aforementioned glacial battle system.

It does take forever to get started, that was one of the things that put me off it at first. Personally, since I put up with Final Fantasy XIII, which takes far longer to get started, I'd probably be able to get over that. I dunno how you'd feel about that, though.

VI doesn't take that long to start at all compared to some games given how you're generally out of tutorial land by Leet River. Granted returning to Narshe sucks but Sabin's Quest redeems it.

Unless you're talking about getting espers but that's more like taking the whimpering mewling that the game calls a challenge and snapping it in half.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 06:07:44 PM »

.Hack Quarantine

After I got the final part I was distracted by FFXII so I only got to play the start of Quarantine.I want to finish it someday.

Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »

Persona 3: I tried it at a friend's and loved it, but I found it too grindy and didn't care enough about the story to keep going. After playing Persona 4 I think I made a huge mistake.

FFV: I liked it, but it was grindy in the wrong way... If that makes sense...

FFVI: I don't even know why I didn't like this.

FFVII: THAT FUCKING RTS MOUNTAIN

FF Tactics: It's... hard...

FFXII: There's a story? Really? I wouldn't know.

Lux Pain: It had a good story... so long as you could figure out whether the text in the scene or the voices were the one that was translated well.

Half-Life 2: One of the few shooters that kept me playing. Only got a little past Ravenholme before giving up.

Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE: It's a SMT MMO. I should have loved it. Nasty controls killed it for me. Community was nice too.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 01:15:39 AM »

Hmm, that's a tough one. Usually if I conclude a game sucks and I no longer want to play it, I am satisfied by that decision. Maybe the Mass Effect series? BioWare games in general? They bore the heck out of me, but they get such good reviews and everyone loves them so much I think maybe I really am just missing something and need to give them one more shot. I suppose Odin Sphere might be another. Oh and Dragon Quest VIII. Both just seemed dull when I played them (even though Odin Sphere is gorgeous).
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 03:31:04 AM »

The Atelier Series and Mass Effect.

I did try to re-pick up "Dragon Quest"... but it will never happen again.  It failed me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 04:45:05 AM »

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter - I really really liked this game but there is one point in where I just can't advance because the battles gets to difficult and tricky to insanely hard and unfair. It doesn't help either that the game has a pretty huge learning curve, and it also has some kind of time limit... awesome game that I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to finish by myself.

Final Fantasy Tactics - My first and pretty much (for what I remember) last SRPG. I really liked the style of that game since it was similar to the one of FFIX but oh god this game is the real deal, is pretty easy to lose and this being my first SRPG when I was getting into RPGs it made me reject the genre as a whole by how hard the game was.

Mother 3 - Stop playing it because playing an RPG with a keyboard made my hands hurt for a couple of days, the pain went away just like my desire to keep playing the game.

I also tried a few old RPGs on emulator just for curiosity to see if I like anything of the "golden era" of gaming that so many people likes so much. And I cannot play for the life of me more than 30 minutes or so of FFVI, after that I enjoyed the little I played of FFV and Shining Force II but I always end up playing Puyo Puyo 2. :p

Maybe I should check out Phantasy Star II or IV one of these days but I'm pretty sure I'll just end up playing Puyo Puyo 2. Is so addicting.

... and what else? Oh yeah, recently I got frustrated with Vagrant Story but I'm 100% sure that I'll be picking up the game soon and finish it someday. I liked the story too much to left the thing just there for a boss battle that I couldn't win. Other than that I never could finish the majority of Mega Man X games but those aren't RPGs, but that's that.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 10:27:07 AM »

Mother 3 - Stop playing it because playing an RPG with a keyboard made my hands hurt for a couple of days, the pain went away just like my desire to keep playing the game.

While reading this whole thread I couldn't think of a game the entire time until you mentioned this. This was probably the same reason why I stopped playing too. If I was playing on a handheld I probably would I have finished it. What the hell Nintendo? Earthbound was one of my favorite games, so naturally I loved this game too, but playing on an emulator sucks.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »

Final Fantasy XII - First time I played I didn't bother to properly learn the battle mechanics and god knows how I finished the game. Now that I took my time reading about how it works makes me want to play again. Could care less about the story, though. Then again, I'm mostly in favour of gameplay over story these days.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:37:09 AM by Draak » Logged
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 01:47:50 PM »

I wanted some dragon quest recently. But I've played 8 and the ds ones 2+ times each(Except 6, but that was the most recent one I played. And if you count the snes fantranslation I guess you could say twice on it too). So I reluctantly loaded up 7.

Between the hate it got here and my own complaints I convinced myself I hated this game. Having a 4 player party limit and 5 characters who forcefully swap in and out, stunting character growth in a game heavy on the character building? Especially when Melvin really didn't really need to even be there, was and is bullshit a pretty big design flaw. And then you've got things like the slow start. But you know what? I'm playing it and I'm having fun. And I had fun 10 years ago. I just kind of forgot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: