Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 05:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319265 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Games You'd Like To Give Another Chance And Why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Games You'd Like To Give Another Chance And Why?  (Read 9095 times)
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2011, 04:03:48 PM »

I gave Legend of Dragoon another chance a little while ago. It still sucks.

Its painfully slow, but after the jRPG drought hit I gave it another shot too. It seemed infinitely better than it was the first time around.

I may give Ephemeral Fantasia another go.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2011, 11:36:38 PM »

I gave FFXIII another chance recently. This time I managed to beat the game. The characters/story weren't as annoying as I remember them being this time around. I'm glad I replayed it. It was bothering me that I had just given up on it.

I'm doing the same thing now with Twilight Princess. It's just so hard to get past the beginning of it.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »

i'd like to give dragon quest 8 another chance someday. also tactics ogre. last time i played tactics ogre i got bored in chapter 2

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2011, 08:47:53 AM »

You know what they say about FFXIII. It gets good after the 30 or 40 hours, problem is though that a lot of people finished the game and never saw the good part that some people were talking about.

*shrug*

It opens up some and gives you more freedom in how characters are used, but you really don't get enough for that kind of time investment... and even if it were WAY less it's kind of limp. Other FFs had sidequests with new dungeons and character development, this just gives monster hunts that are largely against generic (sometimes reskinned) mobs with some flavor text that just really emphasizes that
Code:
the fal'Cie are generally assholes whether they're from Pulse or Cocoon.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2011, 10:08:02 AM »

Legend of Dragoon is one of those oddball games where the first two disks are meh but disks 3 and 4 are good.  Why the game waited until disk 3 to finally get good is beyond me, because most gamers would have lost their patience with the game by then. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2011, 01:19:16 PM »

Legend of Dragoon is one of those oddball games where the first two disks are meh but disks 3 and 4 are good.  Why the game waited until disk 3 to finally get good is beyond me, because most gamers would have lost their patience with the game by then. 

I must admit I did..... I can't recall now because I played it ages ago, but I am quite certain I never made it to disk 3.... It wasn't your typically loss of interest though.... It was the "I don't care to ever see this through" variety..... very rare for me....

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »

A few titles I've had a nasty habit of stopping right before the final boss.. I puss-out or something. I dunno... can't explain.

Me too! I guess I get this "well, I've seen everything this game has to offer" vibe, and I just run out of steam. Worst is Wild Arms 4, which I'm really itching to see what happens to Raquel in the ending, but I stopped JUST before the final battle. I've been meaning to pick up the game and finally beat it again, but it's been 6 years!

Other's are Radient Historia, Wind Arms 2, and Dragon Quest V - all of which I stopped in the last 3rd. Have they made a remake of Wild Arms 2 for anything other than PS3? Because I could imagine playing that one again.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2011, 07:09:11 PM »

So it was the FF13 of its day - except the combat sucked.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »

Wait!? Which one was the one that had the sucky combat?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2011, 09:05:31 PM »

Seeing as it's the only thing FFXIII did right at all gameplay-wise I'd say LoD.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »

Seeing as it's the only thing FFXIII did right at all gameplay-wise I'd say LoD.

And yet the combat in Final Fantasy XIII was the thing I disliked the most.:P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »

It's not what I want FF to stick with certainly, and I fear it doesn't have enough potential to grow, but we'll see with FFXIII-2.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »

And yet the combat in Final Fantasy XIII was the thing I disliked the most.:P

Agreed.  It was fundamentally poorly designed.  No depth, the same basic strategy worked for pretty much every battle, and soon battles became nothing but an exercise in tedium simply because of how many HP the enemies had (which is itself a design flaw born out of the desire to make break relevant even for regular enemies).

I don't know why people praise FFXIII's combat.  It's novel, I guess, until you spend more than 10 minutes with it and realize how shallow it is.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 01:07:26 AM »

LOD, I thought that was obvious!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2012, 01:09:37 AM »

LOD, I thought that was obvious!

Credit to it: at least battles aren't based around the "auto-battle" button.  I think the name itself says enough about what to feel about it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: