Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 10:26:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334494 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Just when we thought it safe to play on psn....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Just when we thought it safe to play on psn....  (Read 1804 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »

Apparentley, anonymous is pissed at sony again....

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/12/29/anonymous-to-destroy-sonys-online-network-for-sopa-support/

Honestly, i'm at a loss. SOPA sounds good on paper, but the millions of retards who don't understand actual piracy and copyright laws will go on the offensive and throw banhammers at everything. Plus, what happens with user generated content like youtube or hulu, where a dumbass puts up parts of a video or something similar that's copyrighted material? Does the site get banned for it? Do we lose amazing stuff for general dumbassery? Not even getting into how anonymous decided they are gonna defend our interests again by attacking a company who defends the stopping of piracy. Hundreds of angry nerds won't be able to torrent whole seasons of crappy anime. STOP THE PRESSES GUYS, SHIT JUST GOT REAL!

Thoughts, input, discuss?

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:16:34 PM »

SOPA sounds good on paper

Say what?  Have you read SOPA?  There's nothing remotely good about it.  And I'm saying that as somebody who doesn't pirate and despises pirates.

That said, singling out Sony here is somewhat...bizarre.  A lot of companies have expressed support for SOPA.  Sony isn't even the main proponent or anything.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »

SOPA is the latest step on a road where the term 'corporate government' is becoming more and more of a reality.

SOPA must die.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:52:06 PM »

Most companies who express support for SOPA are:
- A) Tiny
- B) Religious (see A)
- C) False companies (whore your company name for $$$ and make the list longer)
- D) Internet related
- E) Big corporate

A, B and C aren't even worth doing anything to
D are losing customers every week because of their support to SOPA (see the GoDaddy fiasco)
E are just... not losing anything.

So, in a sense, Anonymous is targeting the most valid target.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »

I haven't read it yet, but SOPA sounds like everything else the US government creates. Great idea, terrible execution. Just look at the judicial system for starters. I guess I'm a bit naive though, looking at it like that. Either the big corporations win, or the assholes win. Middle class eats it in the end either way. Wewt for me.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 10:06:04 PM »

The impression I get from SOPA is that it does the equivalent of giving store clerks (or at least managers) the right to SHOOT anyone that tries to steal anything, or seems like they might be stealing something. Something has to be done, but do you really want them to be the ones who get to have that power?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:08:41 PM by Eusis » Logged
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 11:06:35 PM »

Basically, if a company decides that a website has something that violates their copyright for any reason, SOPA would allow them to shut down the website and put the owners of the site in jail.  Regardless of whether the site's owner had any control over that content. 

So when MacGuyver posts a picture of something he built based on a character from D&D, if the copyright owners of D&D decided that his doing so violated their copyright, RPGFan's owner (and staff?  I'm not clear on that) would be held criminally liable, prosecuted, and potentially jailed for years.

Obviously, that is stupid.  And as I understand it, it's not even remotely the goal of SOPA.  They really just want to stop piracy, particularly from sites based in other countries.  But they did a crappy job of writing the bill, so it's way, way too vague.  That's how it sets up scenarios like my example above.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »

SOPA wouldn't have to happen if the quality of "intellectual property" wasnt so shitty.

Stop making shit that people dont think is worth their money, but they really want anyway. If people truly like a product/movie/game/song/beastialityvideowhat? they WILL pay for it.

Simple as that.

Anon is just posturing, though.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »

SOPA wouldn't have to happen if the quality of "intellectual property" wasnt so shitty.

Stop making shit that people dont think is worth their money, but they really want anyway. If people truly like a product/movie/game/song/beastialityvideowhat? they WILL pay for it.

Simple as that.

I wish that were true.  I truly do.  But look at The Witcher 2.  Fantastic game, pirated by millions.  Doesn't matter the quality of the product - piracy is going to happen either way.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »

The most revolting thing about SOPA is that from what I've read about it, it affects the world, not just the U.S. It's fucking disgusting that U.S. representatives thinks they have the right to legislate and censor something that affects the entire world.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 01:27:06 PM »

Simple as that.

I wish that were true.  I truly do.  But look at The Witcher 2.  Fantastic game, pirated by millions.  Doesn't matter the quality of the product - piracy is going to happen either way.

There are of course the murkier questions of how many seriously play the games, did it only to test, bought the game afterwards (or ALREADY owned it), or if they even installed it. Still, there's enough assholes that'll go and pirate games just to save money, plus you don't want a mindset cultivated of just downloading everything you can to be cheap.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 03:46:16 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-largest-game-companies-in-the-world-have-dropped-their-support-for-a-bill-the-internet-hates-2011-12

Looks like Sony is caving in.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »

The real problem with piracy is this:

If you spend money on a game/CD/movie, you will feel somewhat obligated to give it a fair shake, because you, well, paid for it and want to get your money's worth.

That's not going to be there if you didn't buy it.

So people that pirate things tend to gravitate towards games that are immediately gratifying, and frequently targeting the lowest common denominator. Anything that take a bit to "open up" largely get ignored in this situation.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-nintendo-sony-reduce-sopa-support-by-50--218742.phtml

Yes and no.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »

Simple as that.

There are of course the murkier questions of how many seriously play the games, did it only to test, bought the game afterwards (or ALREADY owned it), or if they even installed it. Still, there's enough assholes that'll go and pirate games just to save money, plus you don't want a mindset cultivated of just downloading everything you can to be cheap.

I always argued a fair price, a cheap price more like, would justify to more legitimate downloading of productrs.  I wish digital downloading was more mainstreamed.  It's kinda of in an awkward puberty phase right now.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: