Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 08:25:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327989 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Podcast (Random Encounter) Thread  (Read 85476 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #945 on: July 29, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »

Joss is overrated, agreed. But he is also still good. Both things can be accurate. :-)

This guy.

Joss writes outstanding dialogue and understands that plot doesn't matter without character. Even in some of his works I haven't enjoyed, at the very least he actually has characters with personalities that are developed through actual development and not 'plot has decided this character must now do this thing'

Also Joss had less to do with Alien Resurrection than you want to believe. Plus that movie was going to blow anyway. Much like the upcoming Turtles film which insists on making them horrifyingly human.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #946 on: July 29, 2014, 12:14:40 PM »

I think I probably owe Whedon at least a hundred dollar bill for his work on the original Toy Story. Yes, he was only the fourth or fifth writer in a committee, but it's still in his filmography. And I probably owe Lassiter in the neighborhood of a grand.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: July 29, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »

The Toy Story argument always bothers me when it comes to Whedon.  You can't have it both ways, you can't say he had little to do with Alien Resurrection but his fourth writing credit on Toy Story makes him a revelation.  Also, Whedon's attitude towards A:R ("Yeah, the actors read the lines but they didn't do it correctly") is what bothers me the most.  I've read his original screenplay and all of the bullshit in the final film is in there; the alien baby, ricocheting bullets, awful characters, borderline stupid premise, etc.

I really like it when Whedon works with established characters.  He has a real understanding for the Marvel heroes, for example, and it gives him a chance to get away from his multicultural 20-somethings and badass female archetypes that he uses over and over again.  He had zero understanding of the Alien universe, however, and completely destroyed Ripley both as a character and a concept.  Granted, the franchise should have ended long before he had a chance at it, but he brought nothing of value to the table.  I'd respect him far more if he would just say, "Yeah, it sucked.  My bad." 
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #948 on: July 29, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »

Love Joss Whedon's work. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The Avengers were very entertaining.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #949 on: July 29, 2014, 12:57:15 PM »

To piggyback on Rob's point, Whedon's run on the Astonishing X-Men comic was maybe the best X-Men run since Claremont. It's that good. He also wrote six or seven issues of Runaways that were really great, but unfortunately that comic wasn't very well-known to not-comics people and it went to shit shortly after Vaughan and Whedon were off the book.

kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #950 on: July 29, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »

hhhmm...here's a question. Are there any old games or sections of old games that you felt were too ambitious for the graphics technology at the time or would just be a very cool setpiece moment with modern graphics? off the top of my head, the opera scene in FF6, powerups of the Masamune in Chrono Trigger being more than the sword spinning in midair(guess I was just easily impressed as a child, plus Frog theme playing helped),the first crossing the bridge in the original FF, dragon transformations in Breath of Fire 3, opera house scene of original Parasite Eve. Also I would welcome just a straight graphics update of the SNES Ogre Battle.

Me and my friends discussed this for awhile and one of our conclusions is that FF7 would be a very weird game in HD with sections like Cloud crossdressing, the squats, a lot of moments involving heidegger and the TIfa/Scarlet slapfest on top of Junon cannon.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #951 on: July 29, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »

To answer the question you guys had about my question on the podcast: my question was leaning more towards turn-based JRPGs. I do like western RPGs too, but I grew up with JRPGs, so when I think of turn-based, that's initially where my mind goes.

Grainofariver

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #952 on: July 29, 2014, 11:31:48 PM »

This is a very open question that will require some narrowing down: Do you think storytelling in video games has reached a point where it can be favourably compared with other mediums in terms of depth and complexity of the plot?

See why it needs some narrowing down? If you'll permit, I'd like to do so in the following ways:
   I'm not interested about how a video game speaks to a concept. I'm sick to death hearing about Bioshock Infinite's Racism, Gone Home's sexuality, The Last of Us/Bioshock Infinite/The Walking Dead's "making you the guardian of a young girl". These are all good arguments to have, but not what I'm looking to ask.
   Secondly, I'd like to focus on plot. Whenever storytelling in games comes up, Bioware gets regularly brought up for having interesting worlds. Most arguments I hear favouring Bioware speak to world building, not the actual plot. The same with Demons/Dark Souls. Lore/World building is an integral part of storytelling, but it's not plot.
   Lastly, I understand the difficulties when comparing across mediums. It's hard to compare a movie to a thousand page book. For games it becomes more complex, as length varies greatly even within the medium. Personally I love the depth offered by multi-book fantasy series (Malazan, A Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time, etc.), so that's where I'm approaching the question, but depth and complexity can mean different things to different people, so take that as you will.

If this is too long or too limited to use, I understand. It's difficult to articulate exactly what I'm trying to ask. As I said earlier, I am an avid reader of massive fantasy series, and for me  the only way to enjoy games is by separating in my mind: video game plot and novel plot, so I'm curious to hear the thoughts of a more... optimistic group. I'd really rather discuss this than hear it discussed, but I take what I can get and walk away smiling.
 - Good Day

Before there was the Game of Thrones, there was Daes Dae'mar
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #953 on: July 29, 2014, 11:40:15 PM »

Also I would welcome just a straight graphics update of the SNES Ogre Battle.

It's called Ogre Battle 64 and it's really awesome.
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #954 on: July 30, 2014, 08:32:34 AM »

Also I would welcome just a straight graphics update of the SNES Ogre Battle.

It's called Ogre Battle 64 and it's really awesome.

It's kinda weird, I actually prefer the characters of the SNES one even though the plot of Ogre Battle 64 was a lot better. To be fair, the two games do share quite a few characters.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #955 on: July 30, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »

This guy.

Joss writes outstanding dialogue and understands that plot doesn't matter without character. Even in some of his works I haven't enjoyed, at the very least he actually has characters with personalities that are developed through actual development and not 'plot has decided this character must now do this thing'

Also Joss had less to do with Alien Resurrection than you want to believe. Plus that movie was going to blow anyway. Much like the upcoming Turtles film which insists on making them horrifyingly human.

The problem is that he sacrifices the plot for dialogue and banter.

And he seems fully willing to take the credit for success but equally willing to pass the buck when something doesn't.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: