Author Topic: Whats the haps?  (Read 1558518 times)

Artimicia

• View Profile
Re: Whats the haps?
« Reply #18270 on: Yesterday at 09:41:10 PM »
It's not green enough! You can't expect me to just suddenly go cold turkey after 16 years of green! D:

16 years Tomato-san!!!???

Well I suppose this is why you are sensei :O

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18271 on: Today at 06:34:17 AM »
A lot of us have been around for a while.  I've been a member since October 1999 and on staff since November 2004 and I have seen RPGFan go through all kinds of upheavals.  But I'm loyal to it.  RPGFan is the thing I've been the most loyal to in my life with fitness/cycling in 2nd place.  Cycling saved my life... twice.

I even "broke up" wih music performance, and I've been a musician for much of my life.  I started playing bass around 1994 (though before that I played euphonium in the school band) and from 2006- 2015 I played in gigging bands, one of which toured up and down the east coast.  Breaking up with musicianship was incredibly difficult.  How could I turn my back on something that I had invested so much of my life into.  But I had to look deep into my heart, really search my soul, and ask myself if I'm satisfied with the world I've created. 

I haven't touched my bass much since 2015, but I don't miss playing out.  I don't miss the "rock star" life at all and am glad to be done with it.  I made some of my best friends through gigging, though, so that will never fade.  But if anyone asks me to be in a band, I will give a firm No.  I'll participate in casual basement jam sessions once in a blue moon, but that's it. 

The point is that just moving on from something that you've invested life into is not easy.  It doesn't feel good to turn your back on something that's given you some of the best years of your life, even though moving on is truly for the best.  Like, my friend breaking up with FF after FF7... FF7 was that contentious "I hate you" phase early on in the breakup where you just yanked off a bandage and that hurts.  But the sting subsides.
Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #18272 on: Today at 08:20:13 AM »
It's not green enough! You can't expect me to just suddenly go cold turkey after 16 years of green! D:

16 years Tomato-san!!!???

Well I suppose this is why you are sensei :O

This was one of the first sites I visited back when we got internet at home, back in April 2000.

It's kind of weird how there's now a whole generation of kids that have never been without the internet. During the last Steam sales, I got my youngest cousin (nearly 12) a Steam account and six games. She was really happy she could finally play Undertale, a game she was already thoroughly familiar with thanks to Let's Plays on Youtube.

Dincrest

• Analogy spouting
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Lanterne Rouge
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #18273 on: Today at 08:28:48 AM »
I still have to remind myself that the 1990s were twenty-ish years ago and not 10 years ago.  The heyday of bands like Linkin Park, Slipknot, or Yellowcard was 10 years ago, and even then, in 2006, they were starting to fall out of favor.

I'm getting old, man.  Time's moving too fast. 
Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60