Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:17:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341072 Posts in 13940 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Katawa Shoujo - It's out! (Seriously!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Katawa Shoujo - It's out! (Seriously!)  (Read 9233 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »

Baring a few scenes so far where he is reasonably sane /actually contributes to the story. KS would be better if Kenji was just a random background character. I find myself skipping the text most of the times he pops up.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 07:00:54 PM »

I have to wonder, does Kanji have schizophrenia? That's about the only thing I can figure out that would generate his dis-likeable, paranoid personality and possibly qualify as his 'disability'. I have to admit there is at least one good thing that comes from Kanji's rantings in Act 1.

Code:
On the Emi path, during the school festival, she pretty much hounds you about not eating fried food since it's bad for her health.
Since she does this pretty much using the whole 'cuteness and pouting' approach it leads to the main character eventually having this
thought that got quite a laugh out of me.

*paraphrase*
[i]My God, Kenji, if only you could see the conspiracy unfolding![/i]
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »

I have to wonder, does Kanji have schizophrenia? That's about the only thing I can figure out that would generate his dis-likeable, paranoid personality and possibly qualify as his 'disability'. I have to admit there is at least one good thing that comes from Kanji's rantings in Act 1.

Code:
On the Emi path, during the school festival, she pretty much hounds you about not eating fried food since it's bad for her health.
Since she does this pretty much using the whole 'cuteness and pouting' approach it leads to the main character eventually having this
thought that got quite a laugh out of me.

*paraphrase*
[i]My God, Kenji, if only you could see the conspiracy unfolding![/i]
He has his moments but they are few, and far between. The only real disability that i have seen so far given for him in the story is that
Code:
he is legally blind. He does appear to suffer from some sever sleep disorder but they have not out right said he has one
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »

I'd forgotten about the blind aspect. >.< I think he might also be a kleptomaniac too. Hard to tell if his book swiping was intentional or not though.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 12:53:38 AM »

I think, in all technicality, that I just got raped o_O
This has to be the weirdest path up to now.

EDIT: Yup, weirdest path. I never saw THAT coming.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:27:30 AM by Annubis » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 01:27:34 AM »

Which one is that? If I had to take a random guess based on personality I'd probably say Shizune. XD

Edit: About to settle in for another go at this...here goes. >.<
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:29:52 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2012, 01:55:44 AM »

Which one is that? If I had to take a random guess based on personality I'd probably say Shizune. XD

Code:
Obligatory witty answer: deaf girls can't hear you say no ;)

Man, it's like 2AM, I work tomorrow, but it's going to be hard to fall asleep since I just got hit by a plot megaton bomb.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2012, 01:59:04 AM »

Code:
Kinda figured; although I would've thought part of Shizune's plot would've involved learning sign language so communication without Misha would be possible. Then again maybe I'm thinking too rationally about a romance story. XD

XD Gotta love it when that happens, glad to hear there are some nice twists waiting though.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2012, 03:50:08 AM »

Ah ha! Victory! XD I figured out just the right angle to tilt the screen so the odd-angle color distortion pretty much pulls a Sailor Moon-style censor blanket over the characters without making the text unreadable; so I got to have my cake and eat it too.

Just finished Emi's path with what I assume is the best ending...damn. Just...damn. I think this actually qualifies as one of the few tales that gave me what I think people traditionally refer to as a heart-warming sensation. 4LS has some incredible writers under their wing.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:57:21 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »

Only one left. Anyone heard if there's something special after completing everything? I'm guessing nothing, but it would be a nice surprise.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »

Maybe some hidden art? Would be my guess anyway since there's a '% completed' feature. Between illness and novel writing I haven't gotten a chance to do much beside slowly work through Shizune's playthrough. I think I'm at the 3-4 hour marker (counting the skipped text of Act 1 that I had already scene sans the new stuff). I've learned never, ever to think to myself "Wow, this game sure has gone a long time without a choice." Karma heard and isn't light handed with payback.

Code:
I stopped last night at the point where Misha shows up and asks you to comfort her.
Pretty sure 'Refuse' is the right option but it sure feels like a lose/lose either way.
Haven't had the heart to click on either one yet. >>; Even though I know I can just reload and try both
ways this is one game that really, really makes you not want to take the 'be a dick' routes which most choice
games never seem to have any weight behind.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 08:30:52 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2012, 12:02:24 AM »

I finally 100%-ed it (you get an extra CG as a bonus)
Rin's path was really thorny and confusing. So many choices, and every single one of them was making me nervous.
I'll take some time to digest it all and maybe replay Hanako's path to re-evaluate it (since it was the first one I did) before I write my thoughts on the game (although I'm not sure "game" is the proper term for this now).
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:06 AM »

Rin's didn't seem quite that hard to me. About the only moment I had difficulty was in late Act 3 with that "I need to understand." vs "Explain it to me." choice. That felt more poorly worded on the part of the designer than anything else. I'll probably be starting Lily's path tonight and it'll be my last one (I might need to ask how to trigger a certain scene on Act 1 as it's floating around in my library at a weird location, need to make sure it isn't Lily centric first). Trying withhold saying what my favorite and least favorites are so far. >.< (Although Shizune's really rubbed me the wrong way; I'll need to try the alternate path later but I get the feeling I've already gotten her 'best' ending, and IMO it's really bad.)

I agree that "game" probably isn't a good word for this. It really does feel like a novel, or more accurately like a 'silent' foreign film since you're having to read subtitles the whole time. It's things like this that really blur the line between mediums, in a good way.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »

Small intermission

I started laughing out loud at work because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTpsrqvGL2Q
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »

Small intermission

I started laughing out loud at work because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTpsrqvGL2Q

It's fucken Lily~!! :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: