Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 01:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330138 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  metal docs by sam dunn
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: metal docs by sam dunn  (Read 5206 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:22 AM »

I'm sure most of the metal heads here know this cat but I recently caught most of the 'metal evolution' episodes on the tube. Flight 666 was stellar but his other stuff deserves viewing too. I would like to see more talk about classical influence but whatever. here's the wiki info for those who haven't read up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Dunn
I wish i had this guy's drive and devotion to the music i love.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:02:11 AM by Esper_Crusader » Logged

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:37:25 AM »

I have his drive and devotion. I just don't have his financial backers. :P

In all seriousness, though, yeah, the Banger Production stuff has been absolutely fucking killer, from Headbanger's Journey on. Can't just give the credit to Sam Dunn, though, because Scott McFayden deserves just as much.

One of the best things that these guys have done, though? Shot an Iron Maiden live DVD that DOESN'T induce seizures! Seriously. Steve Harris should NEVER be allowed near an editing room again.

Esper, did you happen to catch the thrash episode of Metal Evolution yet? That's the only one I haven't seen yet.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:24:00 AM »

Yes I have. Thrash metal is my favorite.  I like it all.  My favorite band right now Is Lamb of God which is hardly thrash but harkens to Pantera.  But, another is Skeletonwitch which is quite thrashy. Lazarus a.d. is another great but albeit a bit hardcore, remind me of biohazard.  Gosh, so many sub genres. Anyway, I'm into pretty much most metal. I actually listen to a lot of music. Exodus and Testament have been my taste lately. I'm an 80's and 90's kid so I like all thing's metal.  If i had to pick my fave metal group......Maiden all the way. Megadeth second. 

RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 04:01:35 PM »

I just got done watching the thrash episode, and yeah, absolutely awesome. Not quite as in depth as the Get Thrashed documentary, but a lot more concise and to the point. I am SO digging this whole series. Can't wait until they start getting into the prog metal stuff, which is where my head's been at for the better part of the last decade, although I have gotten more heavily back into thrash recently as a result of the Big Four shows that have cropped up the last couple of years.

Although, as an interesting side note, I probably wouldn't have gotten into the prog side at all if Dream Theater hadn't covered Master of Puppets!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »

I saw the NWOBHM and Thrash eps in their entirety.  I've only seen the second half of the glam metal episode, and although I think most glam metal is pretty stupid, I like the dignity with which that subgenre and its musicians were handled. 

I really liked the documentary where he went all over the world looking at metal scenes in the Middle East, India, and all kinds of places showing metal's reach.  I loved this one shot of a metal show in some Middle Eastern country where a lovely young lady in a hijab was totally rockin' out.  It was f'n righteous!

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 05:02:02 AM »

I agree about the whole glam scene and its complete fucking absurdity (in fact, Dave Mustaine's description of "glam" being an acronym for "gay LA metal" is one I subscribe to wholeheartedly), but I also agree with you that Sam Dunn gave it a fair shot, and it came out as an episode I ended up enjoying in spite of myself. I especially liked the part where George Lynch said that while he considered the whole power ballad craze to be sort of a necessary evil, he wasn't exactly thrilled to have to write some of those tracks. I've heard Sebastian Bach make a similar statement about the massive success of I Remember You and that even he got tired of seeing that song 50 times a day on MTV and hearing it everywhere.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's episode about the grunge scene and how that all played out. If he handles it half as well as he did the glam episode, it should be really interesting (and as much of a thrash dude I am at heart, I still really dig a lot of those grunge bands....Mother Love Bone, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, and Faith No More are some of my favorite bands of all time, so I'm a bit conflicted on this one).

And yes, Global Metal is the documentary you're thinking of, and it was VERY badass. Only thing I would have liked to see expanded on was the South American scene....basically, all he did there was talk about Sepultura and that was it, but when you look at how well it's received down there, it's truly incredible. All of the various live albums and DVDs that I've seen that were recorded in South America, the vibe that the audiences give off is nothing short of amazing, and I think that the bands who tour there regularly can't help but step up their game (even if Maiden's Rock in Rio DVD is pretty much unwatchable!).
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:09:53 AM »

I've dug all his documentaries, the Iron Maiden once was great but I think my favourite was Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage. Rush is a band that is not regarded nearly highly enough and anything that showcases their epicness is aces in my book. I'll have to check out the Metal Evolution series, it sounds interesting.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »

Whenever I see anything about glam metal, drummer Frankie Banali (WASP, Quiet Riot, he made the rounds) always has the best commentary.  If that guy doesn't already have a radio show or something, he should have one.  

And as a 1990s teenager (I turn 34 later this year), I have a soft spot for bands like Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Cop Shoot Cop, Nudeswirl...

It was also the decade where it felt like delineations between subgenres of heavy music were becoming fuzzy in the mainstream mindset and you'd see, say, Soundgarden on Headbanger's Ball, 120 Minutes, Alternative Nation.  I still lament the end of Riki Rachtman-era Headbanger's Ball in 1995.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 09:39:45 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 04:02:29 AM »

Yeah....after Headbanger's Ball died, the only thing MTV was good for was Beavis and Butt-Head. The "new" version that MTV2 launched just wasn't the same. I agree with the idea that Frankie Banali needs a radio gig, but let's take it further and team him up with Riki Rachtman. That would be awesome.

Actually, screw radio. Give the guys a podcast. :)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 06:23:18 PM »

A Frankie Banali + Riki Rachtman podcast would be fan-freaking-tastic! 

Anyway, I'm a little ambivalent on the grunge episode.  I mean, it really captured the feeling of the era and made me nostalgic for a time when it felt like everyone around me was listening to guitar-driven rock.  But I don't think the episode connected grunge to metal very well.  The connections were tenuous at best.  But truth be told, metal was not at the forefront of mainstream musical consciousness during the grunge era.  With bands like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and Nirvana appearing on Headbanger's Ball as well as 120 Minutes and Alternative Nation, metal's visible identity became muddled on MTV and Headbanger's Ball was canned.  I'm a guy who'd watch Headbanger's Ball for hours just to see videos by bands like Morbid Angel or Obituary.   And during the late 1990s "post-grunge" era, there was such a pathetic dearth of any kind of heavy rock in the visible musical landscape that safe, unoffensive "mom-rock" bands like Creed and Nickelback became the torch bearers. 

I look forward to the death metal episode.  I think the subgenre of metal I like best is death metal and while grunge was all the rage in the 1990s, death metal was brewing deep underground, like 5th 6th 7th layer of Hell deep underground.  Seeing videos by bands like Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death made me trade my Nirvana and Pearl Jam CDs for METAL!  Not just death, but classic metal like Slayer, Iron Maiden and I was like, "Whoa!  What the heck have I been missing?!?!?!  I've wasted my sonic life so far.  I must rectify this!" 

RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 06:58:32 AM »

I liked the grunge episode, but I have to agree that it didn't really explain a lot, and the last segment seemed to be more of a glorified promo for Nickelback than anything else (which is where my interest started waning, because I absolutely cannot STAND that band). I think it was meant more to explore the question of "Okay, what was it about this genre that completely killed metal in the 90s?" and it kind of bombed in that respect.

I expect the nu-metal episode tomorrow to be filled with many, many cringe-worthy moments and bands I hate. Apart from Rage Against the Machine, that was a scene I never got into. Rage, at least, had substance. Not to mention one ridiculously creative guitarist.

Death metal was never really my thing. I've always been more of a thrash, classic, and prog kinda metalhead, myself. I could count on one hand the amount of death metal bands I actually can claim to like, although one of them I'd put more in the prog genre (Opeth), and I'm not quite sure where some of the more melodically focused bands like Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy fall on the death metal ladder. But the interviews with Corpsegrinder and Alex Webster in Headbanger's Journey were pretty cool, so I'll definitely be checking that episode out when it airs. The one I'm looking the most forward to is the prog episode, as I said earlier, because when I started getting into that, after spending the majority of my youth flying the flag of Priest, Maiden, and Metallica, hearing Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Fates Warning, and Opeth was kind of my "What the fuck have I been missing?!" moment, and working back from there into Rush, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, and the like.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 07:28:01 AM »

Ugh.. Nu metal.  Okay, I'll concede that Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne is a killer bassist.  What such a talented musician is doing in such a dumbass band is beyond me.  Of course, as a bassist, I'm a massive Alex Webster fan.  Cannibal Corpse's albums can be hit or miss, but I LOVE Blotted Science (Alex Webster, Ron Jarzombek, and now the drummer for Obscura.  Used to be the drummer for Behold... The Arctopus.)

When it comes to metal, I love it all (except for most nu and most metalcore.  All things said, though, I do love Rage Against The Machine, the first three Deftones albums are great, Tool's pretty cool especially Aenima and Lateralus, I love old-school NJ metalcore like Burnt By The Sun, God Forbid, Luddite Clone).  Man, I wish we could Scotty Beam all of us RPGFan metalheads to a common room so we could show each other the music we have in our iPods and geek out over metal.  

I think you'd really like this band Mistress who I'm friends with.  They're a classic-style metal band with prog touches.  
http://www.mistressband.com (Listen to "Calling The Guards")

EDIT: You know, I thought the glam episode would be one big cringe, but it turned out to be really freakin' good.  We'll see how the nu metal episode pans out.  Maybe it won't suck (although with Fred Durst, not sucking is a tall order).  But even a totally ridiculous gimmick band like Slipknot, those guys are actually intelligent and articulate in interviews nowadays whereas their music is dumbass.  (And RIP Paul Gray- he was a very underrated bassist.)  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:40:44 PM by Dincrest » Logged

RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »

Dude, we have totally hijacked this thread. :)

I don't think I'd lump Tool into the nu-metal category....that band might as well be its own genre! Can't wait until their new album comes out. Blotted Science, too, is really just awesome (although I guess Charlie Zeleny isn't with them anymore, which is a pity....AMAZING drummer! I would have loved to see Behold... The Arctopus when they were on tour with Between the Buried and Me a few years back).

I didn't think the glam episode would be a big cringe, because, really, Penelope Spheeris already did that back in '88. I went back and watched The Decline of Western Civilization Part II on Google recently, and....yeah. I don't think you can get more cringe-worthy than that when it comes to the glam scene. We'll see how the nu-metal episode pans out, although I must say I'm DYING to hear Fred Durst explain his little, ummm....moment at Woodstock.

RPGFan Metalfest would be a great idea, too. You bring your bass rig, I'll bring a guitar or three, and then all we gotta do is find a drummer and a singer, right?! It'd be a killer time.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »

Fair enough about glam metal.  

I do get the feeling that Tool, Korn, and The Deftones may end up in the nu metal episode because they're the first in that new wave of post-grunge metal.  It was the mid-1990s when those bands first came on the scene and slowly people latched onto them because they kinda heralded a resurgence of metal.  I remember first hearing those bands when I was in high school and I really liked how Korn had audible bass, The Deftones had the vocals that went from sensual to throat-shredding, and Tool had high level musicianship that made you want to stay home and practice your instrument rather than go out and party.  When I thought grunge was becoming all soundalike sludge, music like Tool and The Deftones was like cold steel slicing through.  

A lot of musical genres are good at first then slowly degrade into soundalike mockeries of themselves.  Like metalcore.  The average metalcore kid who worships The Devil Wears Prada (ugh, can't stand that band) and other such "corporate" metalcore bands would probably dislike early metalcore like Burnt By The Sun (who are one of my favorite bands.)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmBk9rxu2Lk (I still think this video is funny.)  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 05:39:54 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 05:46:22 PM »

It was kinda funny that Durst basically owned up to being "that guy" killing the nu metal(or whatever you want to call it) trend.  What a knob. Although we should thank him for that:/  I do have a soft spot for the track he did with Method Man though. Don't hate me. The grunge episode was very good but I'd say that anyway because I love most of the music.  I couldn't understand why they were discussing whether or not Pearl Jam could be considered metal though.....reallly??  It was also nice that they made note of all the garbage bands that came pouring out trying to copy the sound in the late
90's and early 00's.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: