Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:18:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319593 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  metal docs by sam dunn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: metal docs by sam dunn  (Read 4550 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »

I liked the Nu Metal episode more than I thought I would.  I liked when Sam was interviewing all those Linkin Park fans and then asked them, "So why don't *I* like it?" And I think, like him, on my metal journey I gained respect for glam but still find nu metal mostly "meh." When I was doing my pre-show analysis on here, Sepultura's "Roots" didn't even cross my mind as a progenitor of the "nu metal' sound, but it makes sense.  What's interesting was the preview of the shock rock episode and that's where they're placing Slipknot.  As for Durst, although he owned up to being "that guy," I felt like he did that in a douchey and facetious manner.  It felt like a canned response.  Then again, he is Fred Durst and naturally a facetious douche-rocket. 

And I'll admit, seeing the singers of Creed and Nickelback get defensive about their music was funny. 

I approve of this nonsense!
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 01:05:45 AM »

Oh Fred. Whatever would we do without you?

I liked the episode, again, more than I thought I would. It didn't resolve anything for me, I still don't like nu-metal (apart from Deftones), I don't understand where the hell the genre came from, how it got so popular, or any of that, but it was an interesting episode. I was also rather surprised at how kind of NERDY Wes Borland looks when he doesn't have all of that weird body paint on!

And I'm confused as to how in the hell Pantera ended up in this episode. Okay. The groove thing. Not enough, in my mind, to establish them as a progenitor of the nu-metal scene. They always felt more Slayer than Korn to me. The Sepultura bit with Roots definitely makes sense, though. There were quite a few elements on Chaos A.D. that one could cite as an influence as well. One thing that did stand out for me was the Tom Morello interview, where he explains how he came up with his ideas for playing guitar in Rage and the notion of using the guitar to act as the DJ in the band. Really cool, interesting, and informative.

Also found the comparison between Woodstock '99 and Altamont to be almost frighteningly apt, and I did not find Durst's little explanation of what he thought he was trying to accomplish with his antics satisfactory in the least. It felt like he very begrudgingly owned up to being the guy who fornicated the canine when it came to that festival. And I'm just as interested as you, Dincrest, about why Slipknot is getting put into the shock rock episode. I never thought that their particular gimmick was for shock value.

Tool, I think, is probably going to end up in the prog episode. Just a hunch.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »

So let's speculate the shock rock episode...

The preview showed us Alice Cooper, Kiss, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, and Slipknot.  GWAR has to be in it, no question.  And although not a metal artist, it would be cool for there to be a nod to GG Allin since he went to some pretty sick extremes for shock value.  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:02:27 AM by Dincrest » Logged

RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 05:25:31 AM »

If GWAR is not in the next episode in some capacity, then Sam Dunn can fuck all the way off.

Fortunately, Oderus has been featured already in this series, so I have some hope. :)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 11:04:11 PM »

Well Shock Rock was a complete disappointment of an episode.  It was actually quite boring and it lacked GWAR.  How the hell can you do a piece on shock rock and omit GWAR?!?!?!?!  Two teensy weensy interview segments with Oderus isn't enough.  I was especially disappointed at the end whey they're all like, "nothing's shocking, everyone's seen everything" I'm like, "NO!  Go to a GWAR show!  You WILL be shocked!"  And, again, if it were me doing a piece on shock rock, GG Allin would be in it somewhere.  

And to add insult to injury, if I'm to believe Wikipedia and IMDB there isn't a death metal episode planned.  FAIL!

I'll still watch the Power and Prog metal episodes, though.  My favorite so far has been the glam episode.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:44:32 AM by Dincrest » Logged

RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »

Well, if it gets picked up for a second season....and it hopefully will, because there has been plenty of time to work on it (I remember reading posts from Jordan Rudess' Twitter from a few years ago where he was talking about being interviewed for this project)....then we could very well see a death metal episode.

Or it could just be wishful thinking on my part.

So. No GWAR. No GG Allin. And I still, for the life of me, can't figure out why the hell Slipknot was in this episode. And....while I solidly agree that they do belong in the death metal category....where the hell was Cannibal Corpse in this episode? You would think that a band who has been banned in that many countries JUST for their album art would be allowed their due.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »

Gwar really should have been featured in the shock rock episode for sure. I knew KISS would be in there but I LOATHE that group and skipped past that segment altogether. People really have to stop thinking they are even remotely metal. They fucking suck. That aside, it was a pretty mediocre episode.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 09:33:14 AM »

I enjoyed the Power Metal episode.  When Sam Dunn opened by saying Power Metal was something really alien to him, that set the whole "anthropologist on Mars" tone and it definitely felt one of the most "honest" at least in terms of the journey.   I felt like I was right there with him trying to get to the heart of Power Metal, and I liked the moments when it felt like he was grasping for straws.  And seeing Sonata Arctica on the chart itself and one of their albums made me smile, because they're not innovators or genre-definers but they are my favorite Power Metal band.  Oh, and when the German DJ called Manowar "homoerotic" I just about lost it (in a good way.)  It was so great! 

Glam episode is still my favorite, though. 

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »

I haven't watched the shock rock or power metal ones yet but so far I really like the series. there were a few WTF moments and omissions such as the entirety of the German thrash bands during the Thrash episode, a few comments even just to give a bit more depth to that particular movement would have been cool. I'm more then aware of the fact I am not the targetted group for this show so I look past the stuff that I really think is dumb (or dumbed down) and enjoy it for what it is but with what was mentioned on shock rock with no GWAR, I just became a lot less excited for that episode.

PS: I would kill for some Devin Townsend love somewhere in this series at some point.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

I never got to see the Prog episode.  When it first aired, I was at a show and every other time it came on, I somehow couldn't watch it.  Was it any good?  

I finally got to see some of the early ones:
-I enjoyed pre-metal quite a bit, especially the history of the first distorted guitar lick.  

-Early metal US was interesting, as it's seen as underrated especially compared to "mecca" England for the genre.  The parallels of industrial cities like Detroit and Birmingham being where these kinds of heavy sounds emerge is cool.  

-Early metal UK was more or less what I expected it to be.  Bill Ward's interviews in multiple episodes were great.  He's normally not the go-to guy in Sabbath for interviews and I think that's what makes his stories so good.  

-NWOBHM was good, albeit more or less what I expected it to be

-Glam became my favorite episode, mainly because of the second half.  I still think glam's cheesy, but I have more respect for it.  Oh, and Frankie Banali needs his own radio show or podcast.  

-Thrash was a great episode.  Gary Holt's interviews were my favorite aspect.  

-I've already commented on the Grunge, Nu, Shock, and Power episodes.  Oh yeah, and Tom Morello's interviews throughout were great. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:10:10 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »

The Prog episode had Dream Theater and Rush featured which is no big surprise but they focused on Queensryche quit a bit which I really didn't care for.  Tool wasn't featured at all which I though was kind of weird. Opeth would have been nice as well.

RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 07:17:55 AM »

Actually, yes, Tool WAS featured. The band wasn't present, but the second best person to speak for them was there. I'd have loved to see or hear from a cat like Maynard or Danny Carey or Adam Jones, but I also know that this series has been in the works for a number of years now, and that the guys in Tool aren't the easiest cats to get ahold of.

There are two things about the prog metal episode that REALLY pissed me off, despite the fact that I deeply love both bands. First, the excessive amount of coverage on Rush. I saw Beyond the Lighted Stage, I'm a big fan of that flick, and to be perfectly honest, I do not labor under the delusion that very many people who AREN'T familiar with Sam Dunn's earlier works were tuning in to this series. There should not have been as much Rush coverage as there was. And, given the metric fuckton of killer prog metal bands that exist out there, there CERTAINLY should not have been as much Mastodon coverage as there was. Opeth, for example, is certainly one of the most important prog-metal bands of the last 20 years; in fact, you see Sam Dunn wearing an Opeth shirt when he's getting ready to interview the guys from Queensryche. Where the hell were they? Where the fuck was Steven Wilson or Porcupine Tree? How about System of a Down? Sure, they might not bear the traditional prog-metal hallmarks, but when you consider the type of music they were creating, and the fact that they came to prominence in the middle of the nu-metal movement....I'll be honest, I always felt like they were Rage Against the Machine with more melody.

Hell, Rage themselves could have been in the Prog episode. I defy most people to find a more interesting or diverse guitar player than Tom Morello for the time he came to prominence. And the fact that Fates Warning was never even touched upon, between Queensryche and Dream Theater? Fucking CRIMINAL!

I, personally, am praying for a second season of this show, because there was SO much left untouched, even in the genres featured.
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 07:27:23 AM »

One other thing, regarding the power metal episode.

Where the hell was Iced Earth? Seriously. I'm not nearly as much of a fan of that band as I used to be say, circa 1998 when the Something Wicked album came out, but that was certainly their peak, and I would count Alive in Athens as one of the greatest live albums of all time, from any band. And they certainly did well with Horror Show and The Glorious Burden. As much as I firmly believe he's an incredible douchebag, it's hard to disprove the claim that Jon Schaffer is an incredible guitar player and, at one time, an incredible musical force.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 10:32:48 AM »

I guess it just goes to show that you can't please all the people all the time. I didn't care for the episode as well as some of the others simply becuase they didn't focus on the bands I like and i'm sure others feel the same way. I'm really hoping for another season as well because the good exceeded the bad by far. Too bad the last one left such a sour taste in my mouth.  Btw, yes, Tool was there a bit. Musta been in the bathroom or grabbing a beer.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »

I still haven't seen the Prog episode yet (it eludes me!), but my biggest disappointment was easily the lack of GWAR in the Shock Rock episode.  To me, that's like having a death metal episode without Cannibal Corpse. 

My parents actually watched the pre-metal and early years UK episodes and really enjoyed them.  My dad had been going to grad school in the UK (Manchester) in the 1970s and my mom moved out there when they married (also in the '70s) so they were watching those episodes and saying, "Whoa!  We were THERE!  I remember seeing that on television!" stuff like that.  So the nostalgia trip for them and perhaps some insight into my favorite style of music was good in those episodes.  My mom had always wondered when the first distorted guitar sound happened, and Pre-Metal gave her the answer. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: