Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 06:15:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330106 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Lunar 2 Eternal Blue  (Read 3295 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2012, 05:21:08 AM »

Keep in mind I'm a little person so my voice is naturally really high pitched.

Huh? I like your voice and I'm sure mine has a slightly higher pitch (and I'm only short by Dutch standards). Actually, I'm kind of jealous ^_^'  You're a teacher and when I tried to become one, the school advised me to just quit because I would never be hired because of my voice. Nowadays I still avoid podcasts because I don't like the idea of lots of people hearing my voice...  So, uhm, I think you're pretty cool.

Anyway, Lunar! Absolutely love the series! Well, Silver Star and Eternal Blue anyway. Those other games suck.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:27:51 AM by Tomara » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2012, 07:24:48 AM »

I prefer the raw instrumentation of the Sega CD version, but that's still a lot better than the PS1 OST.

Yeah, there are a couple of songs I prefer from the Sega CD version, the battle theme and the music from Zophar's Domain in particular.  The battle theme had a lot more... oomph to it in the Sega CD version.

For those that haven't heard it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cdt91mkn0c
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »

Dice's incredibly negative story review is sadly accurate. Lunar 2 was one of my first RPGs and at the time when I played it, which was when it originally came out on Sega CD, it was practically a religious experience. Plus I had the entire VO from the Borgan fight memorized for years because fuck Borgan, that's why. It's been an incredible amount of time since I've played it though so I can't really run down the storyline. Turns out Ruby is a dragon and not actually a flying cat.

Bad memory from the original gravity bomb?

I think bad memory undersells it a little bit. That gravity bomb was a bitch. I was soooo pissed about how easy Borgan is in the PS1 remake, it's pathetic. Mind you, Borgan one-shotting you on the first turn was not fun in the Sega CD version but still, when I won it felt like I actually achieved something

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »

For the life of me, I'll never understand how the shittier 8/16 bit instruments can out-do a more modern version.... better arrangement I suppose (GB vs DS: FFLegend 2, anyone?). :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2012, 09:15:39 PM »

For the life of me, I'll never understand how the shittier 8/16 bit instruments can out-do a more modern version.... better arrangement I suppose (GB vs DS: FFLegend 2, anyone?). :D

In this case, it's easy to answer. The originals on the Mega/Sega CD used CD audio, whereas the Playstation and Saturn used MIDI. The PS1 Lunars had the worst music since they were ports from the Saturn (which were released earlier), and they didn't do a very good job of converting it. I imagine that all the cutscenes added in the remakes meant that there wasn't enough disc space to use CD audio again.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:31:14 PM by DPB » Logged
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »

I prefer the raw instrumentation of the Sega CD version, but that's still a lot better than the PS1 OST.

Yeah, there are a couple of songs I prefer from the Sega CD version, the battle theme and the music from Zophar's Domain in particular.  The battle theme had a lot more... oomph to it in the Sega CD version.

This sounds different from the Sega CD version I have. Is this an arrange of some sort? I'll have to upload mine for comparison.

That one is definitely different. It has more brass and such.
(I need to get around to uploading the rest of the Sega CD OST.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 11:43:02 PM by cj_iwakura » Logged

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 01:52:20 AM »

I do this every time Lunar comes up, but-

Sega CD vets, show of hands?

Here! I had a Sega CDX. SSSC can't compete the original Lunar for me. I was appalled when the changed the music, because the original soundtrack was so great. Still can't believe I sold my copy of SSSC. I want it back :/

"Oh, a hunter..."
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 02:02:40 AM »

Yeah, there are a couple of songs I prefer from the Sega CD version, the battle theme and the music from Zophar's Domain in particular.  The battle theme had a lot more... oomph to it in the Sega CD version.

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprABrE4InQ

Note the difference? Or maybe I'm crazy.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »

Nah, you're right.  It probably doesn't help that the Sega CD version's audio had a very low sampling rate, which affected the sound fidelity a great deal.

I still think Lunar 2's soundtrack is Iwadare's best and continue to be annoyed that there has never been a complete OST release.  Numerous RPGs with mediocre soundtracks have gotten the treatment... why not Lunar?  It was pretty much the reason why I did those gamerips from the Saturn version since it was the closest we'd ever get to it.

On a related note, have you heard some of the other Lunar arrangements?  Besides that one, I have a few more on my Youtube channel, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFNjPCtWvMI
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 10:45:31 AM by Parn » Logged
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »

The rips I have are from this:

I'm not sure if it's available on a disc, but I would think so.

And yeah, that's a nice arrange. Alex is better with a harp, though. :P

DTX180

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »

lunar rocked. Love both the sega cd versions and the ps1
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 08:34:44 PM »

Guh. Speaking of Lunar, I was about to do my LP of it and it turns out the copy I have is corrupted (it freezes at one point). I actually have the disc...except the mac version of Kega does not have a load from disc function. BURRRRRRN.

Hopefully I can fix this without losing my saves or mucking stuff up.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: