Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 08:10:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337989 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Two RPG series I'm curious about....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Two RPG series I'm curious about....  (Read 2348 times)
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 09:42:35 PM »

I liked the first two Shadow Hearts games in spite of the Judgement Ring, which I was never fond of, but gave up on FTNW after about 10 hours. From what I played, they went overboard with "humour" (which was nothing more than sometimes mildy amusing), which wasn't enough to carry the weak and aimless story, and like I said, I never really liked the Judgement Ring system. I didn't have much dififculty with it, but it just feels like padding to me, instead of selecting a command once you have to do it a number of times for every action. I've always preferred less gimmicky simple turn-based battle systems like Press Turn.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »

Alternatively, maybe doing it like Paper Mario? It gives that little bit of extra action to spice things up (timed button presses), yet action would be ongoing and maybe you'd only worry once rather than three times? SH:C felt damn fast coming off of Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga II, but after Ys VI it felt way too slow.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »

Yeah, I actually liked how the timed presses were done in Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi, since they corresponded to what was going on in the battle, rather than an often arbitrary number of presses and then sitting back and watching your character.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 01:57:09 AM »

I liked the first two Shadow Hearts games in spite of the Judgement Ring, which I was never fond of, but gave up on FTNW after about 10 hours. From what I played, they went overboard with "humour" (which was nothing more than sometimes mildy amusing), which wasn't enough to carry the weak and aimless story, and like I said, I never really liked the Judgement Ring system. I didn't have much dififculty with it, but it just feels like padding to me, instead of selecting a command once you have to do it a number of times for every action. I've always preferred less gimmicky simple turn-based battle systems like Press Turn.
I guess... I never really saw the Judgment Ring as gimmicky at all. It gives you a layer of depth to the efficacy of your attacks that other RPGs don't provide (aside from a DnD attack/defense roll). On top of that they're not arbitrary -- in the latter two games you can control the amount of attacks you have, as well as how wide the hit areas are and what effects your attacks have. It's completely beyond the Mario games' rather simplistic systems.

But then again I think the Judgment Ring is the best thing jRPGs have come up with. Still waiting for the never-coming-out Shadow Hearts IV...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 04:37:43 AM »

But then again I think the Judgment Ring is the best thing jRPGs have come up with. Still waiting for the never-coming-out Shadow Hearts IV...

Lost Odyssey's been out a few years now.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »

Not quite what I was hoping for, I don't consider it to be SH4 at all.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 01:54:28 PM »

...and full on down hill, the series simply got worse an worse as it "progressed"

I hate to diss on the series, but I have to agree. I hate the way they retconned Roger Bacon in SH2

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

The only major RPG series that I don't have any games for that I can think of is probably Xenosaga. I really have no desire to play those games. I was looking up some information about the Persona games and the Shadow Hearts games and was wondering how are those games? Are they currently hard to find? I'll throw in Eternal Sonata as another game I'm curious about.

Persona 3,Persona 4 and Xenosaga are glorious games.

Shadow Hearts is good but I got bored with Covenant,never finished it.Eternal Sonata is ok if you have the PS3 version.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 02:42:38 PM »

What systems do you have anyways? Just PS2?

Xenosaga is very story heavy, with lots of cutscenes. The battle system and art style changes from game to game, and there are three in the trilogy.

Xenoblade is unrelated and is coming out for the Wii soon in N.A. Excellent game.

Persona is a lot of fun. Persona 3 is a good one to start off with if you like the idea of balancing battles with student life. If you want something that doesn't include the dating sim, try Nocturne (difficult, driven more by atmosphere and battle than cutscenes) or Digital Devil Saga (two games) for excellent battle, gameplay and story.
Darklight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 01:58:20 AM »

I'd read reviews on Shadow Hearts, Game is easy to find though you need to be able to cope with Disney

That's Kingdom Hearts, dude. :P

I don't have much to say about Persona, never played any of them, but I do know that they're pretty easy to find. I did thoroughly enjoy the Shadow Hearts games, and I'd highly recommend them. As the poster above me said, they're easy enough to find on Amazon.

I am so on permanent lack of sleep mode
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: