Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:57:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338710 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)  (Read 15030 times)
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 06, 2012, 10:17:24 PM »

Excluding the online games and side stories what in your opinion is the worst Final Fantasy game. I have all of them but haven't completed them all and out of the main 13 games I would have to say either II or VIII are the worst ones. For 8 just couldn't get into the magic system and the gameplay. 2 is just very old school but it's not horrible. Just compared to the others in the series it's probably the worst one.
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »

FF II.

That is all.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »

I'm just gonna throw down the whole order and the worst is the one on the end:

V, III, XI, VII, I, IV, II, IX, XII, X, VIII, XIII, VI

No Obviously I can't get away with just saying VI is the worst and leave it at that, so let me explain - I just couldn't get into the story, which was far simpler than I expected. I also couldn't get myself to care about any of the characters, which is weird for me. I think it has to do with how it all started off, It put me in a cynical mood. Then there's the gameplay, which I found to do too easy and unbalanced; I found myself relying on certain moves and patterns that seemed to be working for nearly every enemy I encountered. I think the biggest problem, though, was the pacing - everything just seemed to happen so fast and it would introduce one bewildering gameplay element after another, most of which would never be seen again. So yeah, that's why I think FFVI is the worst Final Fantasy IMHO.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:22:05 PM »

So if we're going to play the order the numbered Final Fantasies here is my ordering ([brackets] signify a tie):

VI, XII, VII, IV, XIII, I, [V, VIII, IX], III

I will say that saying III is the worst isn't really an insult. Overall I've been quite satisfied with the whole series. III is still a B- of a game.

(I haven't played II much more than 5 minutes so it's not there)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »

I & II.  I freaking hate ranking classic games high because they "started it all"; that's kaka reasoning since I can assure I had more fun with future titles for being less stoic by almost ALL means.  Bah.

Waiting for the smartass to put 13-2.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 12:25:30 AM »

The OP's rules really need to be ignored simply because X-2 fails so badly there's not a single game in the straight numerical listing that looks bad by comparison.

But since I should probably 'play fair'...

First I'll have to throw 1-3 out of the equation since I never got to play them when they were fresh and new. I'm not objective enough to play older games without either nostalgia or modern spoilings effecting my view one way or the other. So from 4-13 I'd have to say: 13 is the worst, followed closely by 12. These are the only two I was so put off by that I couldn't force myself to complete the game I cared so little. 13 'wins' out for having a lesser combat system even though 12 has the worst character of the two. (Vaan killed the whole game single handedly, I forget what he did or where but I remember him giving me such a disliking that I really didn't want to play any story with him in it any longer than I had to from that point on.) Paradigm battle really means you're flipping between shield shatter, damage, and healing with the rare exception of a 'gimmick' battle every so often; at least with 12 I could set up my reactions and let battle take care of itself. Additionally 12 slides below 13 on the list because at least it had world exploration and a scope of scale rather than running from one hallway to the next.

Not to say any of the other games don't have their fair share of flaws, but at least they held together long enough for me to complete a run.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 12:27:29 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:27:05 AM »

Waiting for the smartass to put 13-2.

It has both 13 and 2 in it- I think no further comment is necessary.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:30:21 AM »

All of them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 12:31:30 AM »

(Worst) II - III - V - I - VIII - XIII - IX - IV - VII - XII - X - VI (Best)

Dislike
Love

Yeah, yeah, I know, but I really like the gameplay in XII!

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 12:48:38 AM »

(Worst) V

Rot. >=(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 12:49:26 AM »

:P

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 01:31:25 AM »

from best to worst.

1. XII
2. X
3. IV
4, XIII
5. VI
6. VIII
7. IX
8. V
9. VII
10. I
11. II
Never played 3 so i can't say anything on that one.

pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 02:14:40 AM »

My best to worst:

1) VI (America's III)
2) X
3) VII
4) IV (Amercia's II)
5) IX
6) VIII
7) XII
8) X-2

Those are the ones that I have played.

I think the older ones like VI and IV are classics that were very innovative for their time. The characters, gameplay, story, and villain seem to gel together the best in VI. That's why it has my highest rating. Granted, Kefka is not as layered as some later villains in the series but, during that time in my experience, there was not other villain in a video game that seemed as evil as he did.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 02:30:05 AM »

The OP's rules really need to be ignored simply because X-2 fails so badly there's not a single game in the straight numerical listing that looks bad by comparison.

But since I should probably 'play fair'...

First I'll have to throw 1-3 out of the equation since I never got to play them when they were fresh and new. I'm not objective enough to play older games without either nostalgia or modern spoilings effecting my view one way or the other. So from 4-13 I'd have to say: 13 is the worst, followed closely by 12. These are the only two I was so put off by that I couldn't force myself to complete the game I cared so little. 13 'wins' out for having a lesser combat system even though 12 has the worst character of the two. (Vaan killed the whole game single handedly, I forget what he did or where but I remember him giving me such a disliking that I really didn't want to play any story with him in it any longer than I had to from that point on.) Paradigm battle really means you're flipping between shield shatter, damage, and healing with the rare exception of a 'gimmick' battle every so often; at least with 12 I could set up my reactions and let battle take care of itself. Additionally 12 slides below 13 on the list because at least it had world exploration and a scope of scale rather than running from one hallway to the next.

Not to say any of the other games don't have their fair share of flaws, but at least they held together long enough for me to complete a run.

Well if we're counting spin offs then DoC is by far and away the worst due to actually having shitty gameplay (on top of a shitty plot with shitty characters). Otherwise XIII for being such a wasted opportunity.

Additionally your rant only helps to affirm my theory that the average person cares only for the character either in light of or despite of the work's overall story or plot coherency.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 03:06:44 AM »

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: