Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 05:46:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331390 Posts in 13572 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Print
Author Topic: Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)  (Read 14438 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: January 19, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »

I'm going to say this out of love for genre: Many RPG stories suck balls.  Only a few shiners really.  Sucks the lot has "failed" as *games* then.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: January 19, 2012, 12:13:47 AM »

This thread is slowly becoming what every Final Fantasy thread becomes, the "hey guys I think I don't really like video games" thread.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2012, 12:15:42 AM »

This thread is slowly becoming what every Final Fantasy thread becomes, the "hey guys I think I don't really like video games" thread.

Oh come now... I already hate video games.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: January 19, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »

I only hate modern video games.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 19, 2012, 01:21:27 AM »

It's an RPG dude. Story is NOT something you can dispense with. Dialogue, yes. "Plot" as it were, sure. But a major component of an RPG's gameplay is the progression of the story. These are characters meant to associate with the player. The story is meant to carry the player through sequence after sequence. When a game up and discards the story, especially in a genre where story is important, it has failed as a game. It's one of the major items which distinguishes an adventure game from an RPG, and even in the adventure genre, what SO3 did would be nigh unforgivable. Maybe you like to be more forgiving, but I don't.

Many of the oldest RPGs pretty much phoned in stories and/or left it to the imagination of players, so that's a bullshit argument. Even if you argue the angle of people making their own stories and playing them out that's only a portion of the players rather than the collective whole, nevermind those who DO skip past all the story these days anyway, even for RPGs. Frankly, it's not as if there's any one thing that MUST be universal beyond being entertaining (or being able to get SOMETHING out of it anyway) for video games, it's your own hang up if you call an RPG a "failure" because of its story in spite of how good its gameplay is, that sounds more like the game fails to meet YOUR definition of an RPG rather than whether it was actually a good game or not. Though to be fair it probably does say something about how much you enjoyed the gameplay if you allow a weak story to invalidate that, plus it's a fair point if a game focuses on cutscenes far too much and even makes them unskippable, but SO3 was only really problematic there for the first few hours, and as I recall is largely innocent of the latter unlike some games I'll hold a bad story against more (NiGHTS!)

Let's not forget the battle system was bug-ridden, plonked you down on a boring mudball for half the experience, had some of the most illogical world construction (HI THERE 5-MINUTE-APART-CITIES), and  it featured shit like Farleen. I don't care if that was "good VA", the choice was fucking stupid.

Some of this, on the other hand, I think is fairer. Bugs are more objective, though how easy it is to forgive them is dependent on severity. The occasional graphical glitch isn't a big deal, and in a massive and sprawling game world it's to be expected if some issues arise, but crashes in something like SO3 ARE pretty lame. I was luckier there though, and the one crash I had I forgave for hilarious timing (right at the start of the final fight).
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »

Final Fantasy VIII (8) is by far the worst Final Fantasy of the series, in my opinion. There are no qualities about the game that make it worth playing. Even if you're a graphics nut, Final Fantasy IX has it beat in that category so VIII is left with nothing.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2012, 11:47:05 PM »

Final Fantasy VIII (8) is by far the worst Final Fantasy of the series, in my opinion. There are no qualities about the game that make it worth playing. Even if you're a graphics nut, Final Fantasy IX has it beat in that category so VIII is left with nothing.

You make a compelling argument, sir.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: January 20, 2012, 12:36:57 AM »

I don't know, as sappy, contrived, and nonsensical FFVIII is at times, I was never bored. Whenever I play FFIX I get this morose feeling where I think it's going to get better and it never does. As well written and believable as the characters are, the whole game just left me feeling underwhelmed.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: January 20, 2012, 12:40:46 AM »

I don't know, as sappy, contrived, and nonsensical FFVIII is at times, I was never bored. Whenever I play FFIX I get this morose feeling where I think it's going to get better and it never does. As well written and believable as the characters are, the whole game just left me feeling underwhelmed.

I wasn't crazy about disc one. Fighting Bea 8 times didn't help matters.

Looking back, why is it so hard to remember RPG plots?  There was like 50+/- hours put in and I got nothing.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:19 AM »

One thing I can always chuck up to IX for making stupid was that final boss from way out in left field. I mean what the hell? I can remember ever final boss in every ff game ever, except in IX.  I just remember you had that really fucked up move that hit you with like every status ailment ever known. I remember hades, ozma, garland, trance kuja, but who the fuck was that final boss?

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 20, 2012, 12:54:22 AM »

I don't know, as sappy, contrived, and nonsensical FFVIII is at times, I was never bored.

I have to agree, I really enjoyed FFVIII even though I probably can't come up with a strong justification as to WHY.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: January 20, 2012, 02:26:30 AM »

Perhaps the card game was the reason?

I wasn't crazy about disc one. Fighting Bea 8 times didn't help matters.

Looking back, why is it so hard to remember RPG plots?  There was like 50+/- hours put in and I got nothing.

At least her boss music was pretty good. Too bad she's not playable beyond that one sequence. Hell I'd take her over chumps like The Flaming Armarant or Eiko.

That said, I will preemptively defend Quina on the grounds that s/he was one chill creole speaking mofo who gave no fucks.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 20, 2012, 02:45:50 AM »

Perhaps the card game was the reason?

Given I barely played it that'd be kind of amazing.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: January 20, 2012, 06:26:39 AM »

If you cancel out the half-baked time compression story, Esthar, the tedious Laguna segments and the overall doucheiness of Squall, then FFVIII was rad. It had a lot to offer besides the iffy bits.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: January 20, 2012, 08:24:33 AM »

I don't think it's that weird. I have the same problem when I read books.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: