Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:26:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334711 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Print
Author Topic: Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)  (Read 14737 times)
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »

I guess I'll make a list like most of you. Here it is, from best to worst.

XII, IX, VIII, XI, VI, VII, XIII, X, V,  IV, X-2, III, I, II.

Yes, that is FFXI as 4th best. It was actually really awesome, from a story/lore point of view, and had some of the most fun and addicting gameplay out of all of them. Also, X-2 has some of the best combat of the series.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:10:07 AM by ValendianKnight » Logged

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2012, 12:05:12 PM »

I started to watch a LP of FFVIII. Since I didn't know any English when I first played it and I also was very little at the time when I got the game because that opening cinematic looked so cool and I really enjoyed IX (even if I never manage to finish it, a thing that I have to change soon along with FFX) I just went into the game just expecting something like IX again. How wrong I was.

That said, I played disc 1 of FFVIII a lot and that was because when disc 2 started everything got weird and more complex not to mention that the way disc 1 ends is very tragic. But, now watching this LP I realize I don't anything about the game other than it kinda reminds me of Persona 3 and that is really boring, for me at least.

And I guess It doesn't help too much either that the character I like most from FFVIII is Selphie, heh.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2012, 01:19:33 PM »

XII, IX, VIII, XI, VI, VII, XIII, X, VI, V, IV, X-2, III, I, II.

Yes, that is FFXI as 4th best. It was actually really awesome, from a story/lore point of view, and had some of the most fun and addicting gameplay out of all of them. Also, X-2 has some of the best combat of the series.
How come VI shows up on your list twice?

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: January 20, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »

It's just that damn good...comeon!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »

Final Fantasy VIII (8) is by far the worst Final Fantasy of the series, in my opinion. There are no qualities about the game that make it worth playing. Even if you're a graphics nut, Final Fantasy IX has it beat in that category so VIII is left with nothing.

You make a compelling argument, sir.

I was just stating my opinion on the matter. If it would satisfy you I would be happy to argue why I think Final Fantasy VIII is the worst in the series.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: January 20, 2012, 08:29:20 PM »

It's more likely he's counting the GBA version separately.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:57 PM »

It's more likely he's counting the GBA version separately.

Then where's the other 4 FFIV's?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: January 20, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »

Still watching the LP of FFVIII. I like the art direction they went with (without a doubt one of the best works of Nomura), and... that's really the only good thing I can say about the game.

I find it hard to like the game but I can see why someone else might enjoy it. Is a weird and experimental game that is not really awful or for everyone.

That said, "Eyes on Me" still drives me nuts for all the wrong reasons.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »

Haha, good catch. It was a mistake, fixed it now.

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »

I wonder if something like a .hack// MMO would be out.  Like, a proper one, the stupid visor they wear and everything.

we can dream...

Man the orphanage/amnesia stuff was probably one of the least egregiously dumb things about FFVIII, I think people just cling to it because most of the dumber stuff is just too incoherent to be memorable.

Here let me list stuff (Also keep in mind that I didn't like FFVIII because the gameplay was too easy to be engaging on any level, I just want to note things):

- Squall gets impaled by giant ice cone. He is later fine and this is never discussed again.

- Furry animals that evolve from Shumi help Squall break out of prison if he decides he hates his life because his blood smells like Laguna's.

- Everything involving NORG.

- Quistis' death at the missile base. Or rather the complete ass-pull deus ex machina they get it out of her with.

- Quistis ceasing to exist as a character past disc 1. It's like goddamn why not just kill her? It's not like she actually TALKED after the missile base.

- Why does Esthar even exist?

- Everything about Ultimecia.

- Actually pretty much everything on Disc 3 and onwards.

The main issue I have with basically all of these little... nonsensical points is that instead of just being random things that don't further the plot, they actually serve to retract any sort of meaningful development or growth in the characters. None of the characters are ever in a situation where they're forced to make difficult or meaningful decisions because there's always some deus ex machina or external thing that'll make it not matter.

But as I said, the worst part is Squall and Rinoa's relationship. It's completely fucked, steeped in codependence, and emotional brokeness, which wouldn't be a problem if the story was about how their relationship wasn't even remotely health, but it's not. It's glorifying it.

FFVIII is Twilight in JRPG form.

There's actually a lot of weird things that happened in the game from what I remember, other than what you listed, which to me made it more entertaining in a way. Granted, I used to play the game at 3 in the morning and I start getting like I'm drunk when I'm up that late. While I don't remember much about the game, I do remember my reactions.XD Good times...=)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:52:58 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: