Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2014, 01:34:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338792 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)  (Read 15042 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2012, 09:52:20 PM »

In the realm of RPGs, FFVII is a really, really good game, replete with good design choices. It has two very large problems, however:

1. The fanbase is nucking futs, and so is all the extra material associated with it. Advent Children, like it or lump it, invalidates enormous portions of the original plot and cheapens the product as a whole.

2. The translation is atrocious and leaves a lot of gaps in logic in the game.

It's easily one of the best games in the series. I just can't admit to liking it in public because of its fans.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2012, 10:03:47 PM »

I'm actually kind of curious why AC gets a bad rap. I didn't really focus too much on the dialog or any ties to the story to be honest, I just more enjoyed it for the fluid animation and the fun combat sequences; not to mention the music remixes. There's no way I can deny getting a chuckle out of the cell phone victory theme either. XD It's not a masterpiece or anything but I have seen far worse and offensive things passed off as supplementary material to an original source.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:09:26 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »

It's fine if that's all you want out of it. Entertainment-wise, it's... silly and fun. But as a companion to FFVII, it's pretty awful in the way it plays around with canon, invalidates major plot points (re: Sephiroth), etc etc.

Also, shitty character resurrection.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2012, 11:53:54 PM »

It's fine if that's all you want out of it. Entertainment-wise, it's... silly and fun. But as a companion to FFVII, it's pretty awful in the way it plays around with canon, invalidates major plot points (re: Sephiroth), etc etc.

Also, shitty character resurrection.

Advent Children was a mistake.  Cloud looked like a pouty bitch and acted like one, speaking Tifa (who looks like a Squeenix J-Idol) wants to jump into his face, box first.  Bringing Seph back as a last minute showdown was stupid and i could not explain the logistics of how it happened even under fantasy sci-fi pretenses.  (and the fact the Turks are all alive and well, but I think that's the one thing we're all willing to let go)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2012, 12:01:32 AM »

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2012, 12:11:28 AM »

I'd kinda wondered how they got away with that. Then again I tend not to question resurrections too much in anything within the FF universe since they never seem to bother explaining how anyone dies when Life 2 & 3 spells are the standard arsenal of any White Mage type. XD
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2012, 01:13:52 AM »

Advent Children was a fun enough watch, but as a follow up to FFVII it was an abomination. Let alone how ridiculous it was taking the necessary abstraction of RPG mechanics literally by allowing people to be shot in the face/cut up and still keep going without so much as a scuff.

Edit: Better the rest of this serve as a new post.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:22:19 AM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2012, 01:16:20 AM »

Advent Children was a fun enough watch, but as a follow up to FFVII it was an abomination. Let alone how ridiculous it was taking the necessary abstraction of RPG mechanics literally by allowing people to be shot in the face/cut up and still keep going without so much as a scuff.

I realize Japan can't get away from anime, hell, even their TV talent's are ridiculously over-the-top, but I hate, HATE, that crazy jumping around shit like they weigh 2 lbs, and their sword weighs as much as a giant pencil.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2012, 01:27:02 AM »

I realize Japan can't get away from anime, hell, even their TV talent's are ridiculously over-the-top, but I hate, HATE, that crazy jumping around shit like they weigh 2 lbs, and their sword weighs as much as a giant pencil.

I think it depends on the tone of the work, though you need at least some blood to give it any actual weight. Otherwise it seems more like they're trying to fight on the moon with nerf toys or something.

As for worst FF: II, case closed... but that seems kind of like cheating, pulling out an experimental game from the primordial days of console RPGs. So beyond that? I dunno, IX was the least engaging for me, but that may be more the fault of timing and a dumb experiment on my part: try to play FFIX/Skies of Arcadia/Grandia II alongside one another at the same time with the same hours in each! End result, only Grandia II got beaten on account of being stupidly easy and shorter than the other two, with Phantasy Star Online hogging the spotlight. That, and I had my expectations set too high, letting my budding nostalgia for the SNES games go out of control with the fact it was promised to be more like them than the newer ones, thus expecting a game that could blow away the prior two entirely.

So I think for post NES games I'd have to go with FFXIII, I had a good amount of fun with it but it was NOT the direction I wanted FF to go. I can just be thankful that its influence is but a fraction of X's, X influenced a lot of RPGs on the PS2 to simply drop world maps and make maps linear rather than attempt to reinvent for new hardware as Dragon Quest VIII and Xenoblade had, whereas XIII seemed to only get plagerized via a mobile RPG, otherwise serving as a cautionary tale as to why the extreme cinematic approach is the wrong one for RPGs to take as a collective whole.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2012, 01:41:53 AM »

I think it depends on the tone of the work, though you need at least some blood to give it any actual weight. Otherwise it seems more like they're trying to fight on the moon with nerf toys or something.

My beef is when the people look real (a la FF) but are still pulling 50 ft jumps or more.  It looks silly to me.

How did FF2 screw up so bad?

I admire your sentiments on FF9.  I like it, but that shit is ranking HIIIGH these days

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2012, 02:12:33 AM »

fight on the moon with nerf toys

I am dedicating my life to making this a reality.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2012, 02:27:24 AM »

Buy yourself one of those plane rides that go up to the zero gravity part of the atmosphere, bring nerf guns. XD There you go.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2012, 03:32:13 AM »

Advent Children was the best Dragon Ball movie I ever saw, and I really didn't see any movies from Dragon Ball but you get the idea.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2012, 06:20:05 AM »

I'm not gonna take the time to go through each title... I will however hit my least favorites and contrast them with my most beloved

XIII- This is an easy call for me as, while I feel many of the FF's didn't live up to expectations of the franchise, this is the only title of the  lot that I feel failed me utterly as a JRPG altogeather..... In other words I would hate this game the same, and would find it just as disapointing a title no matter what the name..... Alot of my gripes with the other titles are a result of my "Final Fantasy" standards, where-as with 13 its as though the whole game is in stark contrast to the aspects of RPG's I really covet..... I don't need to go into the brutal details, everyone here is familiar enough with this title and has already touched upon everything I couldn't stand in this thread........ I will however add one bit of subjective complaining to the pile of FF13 disdain.... SUMMONS IN NO WAY SHOULD REMIND ME OF TRANSFORMERS!! I FREAKIN' HATE TRANSFORMERS!!!..... Truthfully, I'd rather replay Crystal Chronicles twice then muddle my way through this game again.

IX- My distaste for 9 doesn't even hold a candle to that which I have for 13.... But none-the-less it still ranks #2 for my least favorite. Nothing I would consider gamebreaking in 9 but it was up until this point in the series that something always hooked me.... be it gameplay or plot/story/characters, each installment up until nine kept me motoring until the end.... Might just have been a matter of personal taste, but nothing about this one felt stellar in the least to me.... My biggest complaint was the visual direction of the whole thing.... While a return to a more traditional fantasy setting was welcome to me, this was pulled off in a way that made me feel more like I was instead playing some weird pseudo Disney/JRPG hybrid that wasn't name Kindgom Hearts..... I didn't find myself caring about any of the character here and just didn't find any aspect of this game to be memorable....

While I am not a huge fan of I or II either, I would take them over the above-mentioned any day... Crazy as that might sound

VI Without a doubt my absolute favorite, 6 to me was not just groundbreaking back in the day, it still to me completely rocks! I adored the class and cast diversity, always finding myself torn between which favorites to add to the party.... I loved the setting, the plot, the music, the concept art, and just about every other aspect of this title. I'll never forget when this title came out and I was but a mere lad just getting his feet wet with RPG's.... Arriving at the floating continent with hopes of beating the game only to discover the longest leg of my adventure was still to come!!! A WHOLE NEW WORLD TO EXPLORE!!! This blew my mind at the time...... Additionally we have Shadow.... My personal favorite character of the whole FF universe.. Why you ask? Well aside from him just being downright bad-ass.... I can think of no other character I cared for more with about as much dialogue as FF13 had towns.... The real kicker for me though was the fact that this was the first RPG I can remember that dealt with death within the realm of the main cast... Shadow being able to literally die and no longer be playable.... And General Leo's death sparked the first widespread "they could be brought back" rumors I can really recall as well.... Through all these elements into a industrial-steam-punk-esque setting and its like I swear they made the game tailored to all my personal tastes and then took it a step beyond by making it exceptional as far as RPG's go in general.... Might I add this title is not scoring all these points with me based on nostalgia, as I have a playthrough going right now and still I enjoy it just as much as I did in my youth.

V Most fun I had with the job classes out of any FF.

IV So I'm a sucker for dark knights and I'm a sucker for paladins... sue me.

Runners up for most beloved are 7 for all the optional stuff (couldn't get enough of that snowboard mini-game at the gold saucer) and 8...... 8 actually would beat 4 for my top picks if A) Squall wasn't such a brat of a main character most of the time, B) I liked any of the other cast members, C) Zell wasn't in the game and D) The plot was a little more coherent.... ok, now that I spell it out maybe 8 was more flawed in my eyes than I initially though.... Seifer was such a generic tool of a bad guy in my oppinion as well... what a joke.... But hey, that card game was addicting as all hell :)

As for Advent Children, while were on the subject.... I felt the most redeeming quality of the whole flick was the fight in the church with Tifa..... That alone was enough to make it watchable in my book... maybe not a winner.... but certainly watchable....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2012, 06:47:52 AM »

Worst: II-III-XIII-I-V-XII-VIII-IV-X-VI-IX-VII : Best

I doubt I need to explain why II's my least favourite.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: