Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 03:27:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335280 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)  (Read 14822 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2012, 10:02:53 PM »

In terms of classic FF going back to the first game, FF11 is probably the best representation of it (That was the whole aim, to bring FF back to the absurd difficulty/grind of the first game). I think people who really like games like 1, 3 and 5 would like 11 assuming they're not turned off by the whole online games/monthly fee things. MMOs, by their nature, generally have to experienced when they're released and as they are patched though, so it's hard to compare.

I'm willing to put launch FF14 at the bottom even considering that simply because of how blatantly unfinished the game was. At least FF13 felt like a complete product.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2012, 10:06:48 PM »

No, most of the hate came from people who universally hate MMOs, and are worried about the entire RPG genre slipping into being MMO only.
This is a idiotic fear, and anyone who thinks this must be functionally retarded.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2012, 10:11:09 PM »

No, most of the hate came from people who universally hate MMOs, and are worried about the entire RPG genre slipping into being MMO only.
This is a idiotic fear, and anyone who thinks this must be functionally retarded.

To be fair that looked more plausible before the subscription model practically collapsed. Combining this with how TOR manages to combine what people liked about Bioware's games with an MMO format and I don't think there's really too much to fear one way or the other now.

There's still the fact some people don't like MMOs of course, myself included generally. If it took 50 hours to get to level 10-ish in FFXI then I simply don't care to make the time investment an MMO like that demands.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »

To be fair that looked more plausible before the subscription model practically collapsed. Combining this with how TOR manages to combine what people liked about Bioware's games with an MMO format and I don't think there's really too much to fear one way or the other now.

There's still the fact some people don't like MMOs of course, myself included generally. If it took 50 hours to get to level 10-ish in FFXI then I simply don't care to make the time investment an MMO like that demands.
To be fair, current FFXI leveling is significantly faster than even most ff games. With a good group you can hit 99 in probably a week if you have abyssea, which comes with all new copies of ffxi. Course, without it and soloing....heh yeah.

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2012, 10:33:30 PM »

To be fair, thinking that the entire RPG genre will slip into MMO only is FUCKING RETARDED.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2012, 10:46:25 PM »

To be fair, thinking that the entire RPG genre will slip into MMO only is FUCKING RETARDED.
He's got a point. It is pretty retarded to think that, within our lifetime anyway.

TASTY!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:47 AM »

The more realistic fear is that many of the big players go to MMOs and don't bother with single player games. There'll always be someone making a great single player RPG (half because it simply takes fewer resources than an MMO), but you see cases like Dragon Quest that go more MMO-like on handhelds, then become a full blown MMO after that, and while they will probably make another single player game it's not something we know about for sure. Then there's cases like Richard Garriot completely leaving single player games and the fact FFXI tied up a lot of Squaresoft staff that used to develop games like Chrono Cross, though in the case of the former he seems like he may well have burnt out anyway, progressing to a social game about garage sales.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:15:30 AM by Eusis » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2012, 07:18:02 AM »

Well, that was 2002, WOW was taking the world by storm, and for all we knew, Square was preparing to move the entire Final Fantasy series online. There was a lot of talk by quite a few companies that the entire INDUSTRY, let alone the RPG genre, was basically going to go online. Hindsight is 20/20, and from our perspective now, yeah, single-player gaming seems to be relatively safe. I think some of the initial novelty of online play has worn off, and I also think many companies have mismanaged their online schemes to the point where users aren't all that thrilled about being a part of them. But this is now, and our impressions were formed back then, and a lot of intelligent people were wondering exactly what was going to happen.

But I get the impression I'm talking to a brick wall. These days, you basically check to see if the name "Prime Mover" comes up, and if it does, you write a snide remark. You'll probably tell me that I'm full of shit, and that it really is my opinion you're responding to, but let's drop the crap, it's because it was me that said it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »

Square was preparing to move the entire Final Fantasy series online.

This is ridiculous. Main reason being that Final Fantasy XI was only one of the Final Fantasy projects being released at the time - X-2 was released near the same time frame, so any rumors of Final Fantasy going online only were insane at best. You know, it's almost as if Square was trying to satisfy the single player fanbase while also branching into new territory! Gasp!

There was a lot of talk by quite a few companies that the entire INDUSTRY, let alone the RPG genre, was basically going to go online.

Who said this? When? You don't get to make generalized claims like this as vindication for flawed assumptions. The entire reasoning for this thought process is absurd. Only the larger companies have the resources to maintain and update online games, and even then it'd be foolish of companies that have mainly developed single player games to put all their eggs in the online basket. Smaller companies don't have the resources or the means to even try it, and with online gaming only a select few were going to make it - this was known even back then. This is an idiotic statement to make, even in 2002.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »

Is it weird that I think 2 AND 12 had fun gameplay?
I've seen quite a few people mention they liked 12 but hated 2.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2012, 01:24:43 PM »

Smaller companies don't have the resources or the means to even try it, and with online gaming only a select few were going to make it - this was known even back then. This is an idiotic statement to make, even in 2002.

Come on, just looking at the ad banners of this site proves that wrong. There are hundreds of small fly-by-night MMO companies running MMORPGs as we speak... in fact, it's a constant source of entertainment just looking at all the weird stuff they do. You don't have to be big to be online, it's a fairly quick payoff because with subscriptions, you can continue to build the game even as people are paying. In fact, it's almost the perfect business model for a smaller game company. Back in the early 1990s I used to play a lot of MUDDs, which were run by volunteers.

This is getting really ridiculous. I don't understand your constant problem with speculation. Shit happens, and it's interesting, vital, and kind of fun to try and figure out what's going to happen and what did happen. I'm telling you that back in 2002 (I wasn't on RPGFan at the time), many people I talked with online were concerned that the RPG industry was going to go the way of the FPS industry. By your definition, it was a "retarded" assumption to make, but from what I saw, this was a very common concern, unfounded or not. Much stranger and more drastic things have happened to an industry, so I really fail to see how this isn't at least somewhat feasible.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »

I wonder if something like a .hack// MMO would be out.  Like, a proper one, the stupid visor they wear and everything.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »

I can only speak for the ones I've played but the worst for me would probably be Final Fantasy VIII.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:12 PM »

I can only speak for the ones I've played but the worst for me would probably be Final Fantasy VIII.

Awesome overworld theme at least.  Some of the dungeons too.

I think 8 is one of them "for one thing they got really right, they got another completely wrong".  Then you're left all like " = / " and gamingly blue-balled.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »

FFVIII had an amazing soundtrack one of my all time favorites the rest of the game doesn't even compare to it.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: