Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:35:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)  (Read 12328 times)
Klyde Chroma
Fruity Ninja

I believe in the Boss!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2012, 04:53:05 PM »

FFVIII had an amazing soundtrack one of my all time favorites the rest of the game doesn't even compare to it.

I agree with that to a point..... I think the card game was pretty killer too. Had me hooked actually... Ridiculous as it that may sound.......... Actually now that I think about it, presentation wise, I like 8.... its the cast and plot that really ruined it for me.... Zell and Seifer really bothered me.... i mean, some games you just simply don't find the characters memorable, whereas here I actually held some sort of contempt for some of the cast by the end-LoL

Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »

^I think that's why I liked FFVIII when I first played it. I like how it looks but when it starts to show you what really is, everything just goes to hell.

But, there is a lot of people (crazy people?) that loves the story and cast of FFVIII. To each his own I guess.

Oh well. I always liked IX, some parts of VII and X, enjoyed X-2 (yeah I know) and got alienated with VIII and XIII. I have tried to play the older games but... I can't do it. FFV seems (for the little I played) very fun but never cared all that much to play it. And no, I can't get into IV and VI.

VI seems to take his sweet time before getting to the good part and IV I've heard is a hard game but I never cared for it just like FFV, and the same goes for the NES/Famicom games. Played the first Final Fantasy on a emulator a bit and hated it, read a bunch of times how bad the second game was I never touched it, and all of what I've read of FFIII is that is a very tedious games.

So in a nutshell for me Final Fantasy is a pretty weird series that got big between FFIII or IV, and is not afraid to make changes to the formula even if that means messing with something that people liked about the other games in the series. Also, the music of every game is very enjoyable and depending who you ask is the best thing that comes out from every new game (though you can say that for a lot of RPGs).
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2012, 06:53:25 PM »

Man, I knew some people disliked VIII, but I've never seen so much FF8 hate. I would say that where I went to college (Oberlin), it was probably the favorite among Final Fantasy fans. I knew quite a few people who (like me) thought it was the best in the series. I really don't understand what turns people off so much about it. Many of the same things that people love to complain about: the skill system, the cast, and dialog, I thought were some of the strongest in the series. I remember spending hours playing around with the Junction system, trying out different spells to see their effects, and eventually customizing the GFs to fit my needs, seeking out rare spells to draw, and figuring out the most efficient ways of extracting spells from items. I LOVED THAT! But I won't argue that the story is crap, but so are all the other stories in the FF series.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »

and eventually customizing the GFs to fit my need

That's the thing. There's no need to do that. You can just auto-junction and steamroll everything. That's why it isn't fun.

VII TARGETS
VIII TARGET PRACTICE
IX REVOLVER PRACTICE FOR THE POLICE
X PISTOL SHOOTING FOR LADIES
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:38:42 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »

That's the thing. There's no need to do that. You can just auto-junction and steamroll everything. That's why it isn't fun.

Eh, a game is only as easy as your goals are. FFVIII has some DAMNED HARD side bosses. Not to mention, I don't evaluate myself on whether I can kill enemies, but how efficiently and effectively I can do so. Even though FFVIII isn't difficult to progress through (though let's be fair here, it's not THAT easy) I love fine tuning my party so that I can UTTERLY KICK THE SHIT out of anything that stands in my way. Create your own challenges. See if you can underlevel your party by carding all enemies (fun!), things like that. And if that's not enough, try going up against Omega Weapon. Or try fighting Ultima Weapon and staying in battle alive long enough to draw 300 Ultimas (I've never been able to do this). The game offers some serious challenges if you're up for it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »

Eh, a game is only as easy as your goals are. FFVIII has some DAMNED HARD side bosses. Not to mention, I don't evaluate myself on whether I can kill enemies, but how efficiently and effectively I can do so. Even though FFVIII isn't difficult to progress through (though let's be fair here, it's not THAT easy) I love fine tuning my party so that I can UTTERLY KICK THE SHIT out of anything that stands in my way. Create your own challenges. See if you can underlevel your party by carding all enemies (fun!), things like that. And if that's not enough, try going up against Omega Weapon. Or try fighting Ultima Weapon and staying in battle alive long enough to draw 300 Ultimas (I've never been able to do this). The game offers some serious challenges if you're up for it.

Or you could just pop a Holy War or two and Aura spam to victory against Omega or whatever. And it's not like you'll ever use a party other than Zell and Riona midway through disk 3 anyways. Quisits Degenerator is nice early on but when you can spam multiple Meteor Dives in one turn it kinda makes everything else save for Lion Heart and the occasional Shooting Star obsolete.

Also beating Ultima nets you 100 Ultima Stones anyways so there's no real reason to draw 300 Ultimas (hell 150~200 will do you and there are other places to draw them as well).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »

You can't technically underlevel your party in FFVIII enemies scale with you. The only real way to "underlevel" is to not have high enough level spells junctioned, etc.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2012, 11:28:20 PM »

Or you could just pop a Holy War or two and Aura spam to victory against Omega or whatever.

Yeah, because Holy Wars are so easy to come by.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2012, 11:43:41 PM »

I love fine tuning my party so that I can UTTERLY KICK THE SHIT out of anything that stands in my way.

You can do that with GF spam.

Create your own challenges.

No no stop. That's bullshit. MAN GAME X IS EASY LET'S PLAY IT BLINDFOLDED TO MAKE IT HARD.

Self-imposed challenges that involve playing the game in an entirely non-standard way/ignoring core gameplay mechanics are dumb.

Also underleveling in FFVIII apparently makes the game easier.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2012, 11:44:18 PM »

FFX2 is the worst by far, imo.  It was made for girls and girls alone. The music was mostly shit except for the title theme and while the combat system was really good, it didn't make up for the overall nonsense. It just didn't hold my attention at all. As for VIII, yeah the mechanics could be abused for sure but it was just fun to play, at least until you got to Esthar.  Great music too. Favorite is still 6 though..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »

FFX2 is the worst by far, imo.  It was made for girls and girls alone.

Umm...not really. Yeah it's a bad game but hardly for that reason. The pointless fanservice and other alterations were all geared towards the 13-17 male audience looking for free wank material; to be perfectly blunt about it.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »

FFVIII by far, for all the aforementioned reasons. The draw system was dumb, the characters were bad. It is one of the few FFs that I played which I never finished.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »

FFX2 is the worst by far, imo.  It was made for girls and girls alone. The music was mostly shit except for the title theme and while the combat system was really good, it didn't make up for the overall nonsense. It just didn't hold my attention at all. As for VIII, yeah the mechanics could be abused for sure but it was just fun to play, at least until you got to Esthar.  Great music too. Favorite is still 6 though..

FFX2 does get better past it's abysmal opening half and you can turn off transformation sequences easily enough as well. And it's not like they ruined any of the characters from X1 since they were mostly unlikeable to begin with, just unlikeable in a different way now. Unfortunately there's the whole "trying to get 100%" thing which is utter bullshit and can die in a fire.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2012, 09:03:30 PM »

FFVIII by far, for all the aforementioned reasons. The draw system was dumb, the characters were bad. It is one of the few FFs that I played which I never finished.

Oddly enough, despite how little I like it now, FFVIII was my favorite FF game until I was 16, and it's the only FF I ever came close to finishing. actually got to the last boss. Never beat her, but I got there.

I quit most games about halfway through because I lose interest.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2012, 09:29:28 PM »

While I hated X-2 with a passion, I think the worst was ff2 for NES.  I shouldn't have to attack my own party members and waste all my magic points by nuking my own party, to get strong enough so i can get through the next dungeon.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: