Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 05:34:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327872 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)  (Read 13953 times)
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2012, 10:15:06 PM »

Ya'll are scaring me, I'm @10 hrs into FFVIII and enjoying it, apears most think it goes downhill quickly soon....reminds me of what X became in many ways though and I loved X so I have hope....

Everything's Eventual
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2012, 10:27:57 PM »

Prime Mover, maybe 'retarded' was an exaggeration. Maybe misguided would be better; I see that theory (back in 2002) in the same light as theories back in 1997 when people complained about gaming focusing only on graphics and not on gameplay (which was patently untrue). Those fly by night companies you mention run web browser based games, IIRC, which are completely different from actual games that require developing and whatnot. Either way, predictions like the one you stated seem impossible or outright absurd, even back in 2002 when single player RPGs were going strong and even Everquest (which ALSO was highly popular, back in its heyday) didn't displace single player gaming.

Regarding Final Fantasy VIII, it's the result of people who had jobs writing shonen/Saturday morning cartoon type scripts being forced to write a romance story with some shonen elements shoehorned in. I found the story and gameplay pretty offensive at first but ended up not minding it too much, despite the gameplay system's high possibility of abuse and lack of any coherence in the story. Although, I would have to say that this is probably when the modern FF team started going off the deep end - first we have the GFs making everyone forget things and some weird TIME KOMPRESSION thing, then the next game they do has a guy who's a dream of a civilization's dream of what the fuck I don't even, and finally FFXIII, which speaks for itself.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2012, 10:33:14 PM »

Ya'll are scaring me, I'm @10 hrs into FFVIII and enjoying it, apears most think it goes downhill quickly soon....reminds me of what X became in many ways though and I loved X so I have hope....

Tell us what you think about it when you finish the Disc 1.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2012, 04:04:50 PM »

I love FFVIII despite it's battle mehcanics. You can abuse it but you don't HAVE to..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2012, 12:51:59 AM »

Laguna's battle music was awesome. Hell most of VIII's music was pretty good. Draw system aside, its gameplay mechanics weren't terrible, just easy to abuse, like pulling a long summon out to mash through selphie's limit break choices (still haven't landed on the end). Just don't grow too attached to squall as a character, he takes a nosedive later.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2012, 02:52:07 AM »

Continuation of the rest of my post which is below:

So this is basically why most JRPG romance subplots are broken, although maybe you can expand this to all fantasy story love subplots:

1. Female main character needs protection.
2. Male main character able to provide protection.
3. Male main character mistakes personality responsibility stemming from camaraderie/weakness on the female main character's part as love.
4. Female main character provides love out of gratitude.

This is dumb. This supposes that female characters are not strong enough to take care of themselves, that male characters should only love someone subservient to them, and that love comes from a mutual exchange of services instead of, well, love.

I don't know much about love, so I couldn't indicate an JRPGs that actually portray such a process accurately, although I have seen a lot of broken relationships so I think I can identify when those are going on pretty alrightly.

idk i really worry that a lot of romance in videogames is just wish fulfillment for the developer or gamer. similarly the fact that you can be lesbians in a lot of games but not gay males. (Which is one of many factors in why I think Fallout 2 is pretty bad but I digress).

Fuck it I have no idea.

Laguna's battle music was awesome. Hell most of VIII's music was pretty good. Draw system aside, its gameplay mechanics weren't terrible, just easy to abuse, like pulling a long summon out to mash through selphie's limit break choices (still haven't landed on the end). Just don't grow too attached to squall as a character, he takes a nosedive later.

FFVIII's gameplay mechanics were fine, the balance was just so out of whack that nothing you did really mattered.

Also you know with Squall I liked him more when he was a brooding, loner douchebag at the beginning. Because that was an effective kind of attitude for the line of work he was in and it made him an independent and functional, if not totally happy, individual.

By the end of the game he's given up all of that for the sake of BLUH RINOA YOU COMPLETE ME and is sort of a sad, broken individual that is now happy in some sense but completely useless.

Then again the first time I played FFVIII, my parents were still capable of having conversations that didn't end in fights.

But yeah, back to that. I don't think FFX bugged me as much because Tidus was always kind of a loser, but it was still Yuna and Tidus having this kind of dopey, puppylove affection towards eachother and then building a real relationship out of that. Which again isn't really healthy. I guess Yuna kind of moved away from that in the end but then FFX-2 happened and LOL WUPZ.

FFVII's romance was sort of deliciously fucked up because it was basically about Aeris preying on a semi-schizophrenic near invalid because he'd taken on the personality of her dead ex-boyfriend, and then you have Tifa who actually does care about him being eternally friendzoned. Which actually makes Aeris interseting because she was the dominant one in that relationship, not Cloud. And she's pulling this shit but still manages to be a decent person.

And Zidane and Garnet were mostly bros before falling for eachother and when he does break down about her getting married that';s more played for laughs about him being a dumbass and then Freya shows up and she's all "Zidane, you're a dumbass. Don't be a dumbass." And then he doesn't be's a dumbass.

This is why DQ5 doesn't bug me at all. It's just like <Bianca> HEY. LET'S GET MARRIED. <Bianca> SHIT WE'RE MARRIED, LET'S KILL MONSTERS. And then they pretty much continue on with business as usually, which involves a giant talking apple murdering everything in my case. When DID he get her knocked up though? God that'd be so scandalous if it turned out the talking apple monster was the father.

Anyway did FFXII even have romance? Or characters? I remember a bunny and pippi longstalkings being there, as well as some creepy jailbait kid with blonde hair. I Think the bunny was dating the gay guy from Backstreet Boys or Sean Connery or whatever. I'd probably like FFXII less if I could remember it. To FFVIII's credit, I can at least remember why I thought it was dumb. Also to FFVIII's credit the dungeons actually had things in them and were not endless deserts.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 03:11:34 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2012, 02:25:34 AM »

The tl;dr of FFVIII's plot is that you're playing a convenience store romance novel which is fine if you love them otherwise "Guess what you're playing! :v:". Squall is a moody teenager who falls in love with the first 'is a princess in everything but name and non playability' he sees. Everything else is a backdrop to this. Everything.

I love FFVIII despite it's battle mehcanics. You can abuse it but you don't HAVE to..

But it is nice to know just how awful your base stats are and will always be so that you don't inadvertently take the Hard Mode route by doing what more RPGs in general have you do.

Also this only applies up until somewhere during the final boss fight where Ultimacia will basically slap the taste out of your mouth for still trying to use those crappy GFs and unless you have reams of top tier spells junctioned to vital stats or can properly abuse limit breaks you ain't beating shit.

Also 'meh-canics' is an awesome word for dumb fantasy tech and I'm definitely stealing coming up with it all on my own. Trademarked.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »

http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/G632-FinalFantasyVIII

That's pretty much the best explanation there is for why FFVIII is a good game. Also, there sure is a lot of flamebaiting going on by people that dislike FFVIII. Coming up with clever simplifications of, and analogies for, the game may be quite funny to you, but they are ultimately a terrible form of criticism because they don't actually address the game, they address an imaginary game you've created for comedic effect.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

I want to, very creepily, get pictures of 17 year olds, and take them to Square Enix to show them how they look.  If Squall and friends are 17, Madonna is 106 years old.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »

Everyone says that FFVIII is like a 'convenience store romance novel', but have you ever read a cheep romance novel? They're nothing like that, not at all. They're far more formuliac, the characters are completely static, and of course, they don't typically feature endworld scenarios. Yes, FFVIII was a romance, and yes, it had a lot of cheese. Funny thing is, I found the romance element quite convincing and pretty free of cheese; it's the endworld plot that has all the cheese. But whatever, Squall is one of my favorite RPG leads, because he's neither the eternal upbeat optimist, nor angsty (if you say he is, you don't understand the defenition of the term), and I found his personal issues far more human and more complex than most.

Also, the game doesn't go downhill after Disc 1, in fact, many complain that it takes the game a long time to get going, and that disc 1 is the weakest of them (I like disc 1 myself). Though the second half of disc 1 is a little slow with the Tomb of the Unknown King and silly sewer dungeon. I always felt that Disc 2 is really where the game takes off. But maybe that's due to the fact that I've played Disc 1 the most and therefor it's the most clear to me, where I'm surprised and intregued more by the later discs, which I'm less familliar with.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2012, 02:48:09 PM »

http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/G632-FinalFantasyVIII

That's pretty much the best explanation there is for why FFVIII is a good game. Also, there sure is a lot of flamebaiting going on by people that dislike FFVIII. Coming up with clever simplifications of, and analogies for, the game may be quite funny to you, but they are ultimately a terrible form of criticism because they don't actually address the game, they address an imaginary game you've created for comedic effect.

I've been thinking about buying FFVIII on PSN and giving the game another chance because like with XIII it was a game that I honestly enjoyed but I never really knew why part of me disliked the game so much, and it wasn't until recently that I noticed it was because I left myself go with the opinions that people have about it in the Internet.

Seriously, getting into this series around the mid-2000s was really hard with all the changes the series got in those days plus with all the mixed reception that every new game received.

If there is one thing I learned from this is that I never should take seriously what is said in the comment section, forums or articles when I read about a series of games I like because you willl end up just having an opinion that resembles the group of people that doesn't really like what you like in reality.

Oh right, and the most important part is that never someone should read a thread about Final Fantasy on NeoGAF, bunch of snobs.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2012, 03:10:03 PM »

Everyone says that FFVIII is like a 'convenience store romance novel', but have you ever read a cheep romance novel? They're nothing like that, not at all.

Yeah, but admitting this sort of thing ruins the joke. The internet thrives on misinformation for comedic effect. It's like its lifeblood or something. Remember kids, lies are more important that the truth when the lie is a funny one.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2012, 04:59:56 PM »

FF8 wasn't actually bad, it just had a somewhat broken battle system and some, erm, shaky plot elements. I actually quite liked it though. The part where Odin drops in during one of the boss fights was just plain awesome but left me scratching my head.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2012, 05:14:59 PM »

I much preferred when he dropped in on a Malboro personally ;)
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2012, 05:26:46 PM »

I much preferred when he dropped in on a Malboro personally ;)

Not sure if you know which part I mean, but I'm damn sure I have no idea what you're talking about :)

As far as worst FFs go, its probably no surprise I'm going to point to FFXIII. Linear to a fault, unlikeable cast of characters, fairly simple story made unnecessarily complicated by confusing terminology, battle system that plays itself.

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin: Seems ok, has mouse issues.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: