Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 07:25:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338515 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)  (Read 15011 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2012, 05:40:45 PM »

I much preferred when he dropped in on a Malboro personally ;)

Not sure if you know which part I mean, but I'm damn sure I have no idea what you're talking about :)

As far as worst FFs go, its probably no surprise I'm going to point to FFXIII. Linear to a fault, unlikeable cast of characters, fairly simple story made unnecessarily complicated by confusing terminology, battle system that plays itself.
He was making a joke, you're referring to a key point in the third disc. I like his reference better, too, cuz malboros fucking sucked ass in VIII, and if you wanted doomtrain, you had to fight some. Odin popping up to drop one for you was ALWAYS awesome.

TASTY!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2012, 05:48:13 PM »

Is that what his name was? Right, now I get it. Its been over ten years so my memory of it is a little blurry. Odin dropping in to clean house was always awesome, but I remember being incredibly surprised when he popped up during the boss fight, and even more surprised when I saw how it played out.

Edit: Never mind, refreshed my memory with a faq. But yes, I also preferred Odin to Gilgamesh.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:06:26 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2012, 03:29:25 AM »

As far as worst FFs go, its probably no surprise I'm going to point to FFXIII. Linear to a fault, unlikeable cast of characters, fairly simple story made unnecessarily complicated by confusing terminology, battle system that plays itself.

I totally agree with you on some points, yet totally disagree on others.

It was linear, way too much indeed, but the cast of characters were pretty good from my view. Lightning and Fang we're badass, (and cute), Serah was clueless but I think it was the point. Snow, unlike in FFXIII-2 where he looks quite weird, was okay. Sazch was a funny fellow. Not much to say about Hope and Vanille beside that they were fine.

The story was nothing extraordinary, I will agree on that, but far from being the worst of the series. It was good enough to keep me interested.

As for the battle system that plays itself, thats the other point where I totally agree with you. It surprised me, because that actually one thing that most of the people though it was good on this game... I would have call this system "Auto Battle", because thats almost what you do all game and its really boring.

Things i'd like to add : Awesome environments/cut scene and lack of towns/villages/npcs.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2012, 01:01:57 PM »

I want to, very creepily, get pictures of 17 year olds, and take them to Square Enix to show them how they look.  If Squall and friends are 17, Madonna is 106 years old.

Amen sister. Nobody looks that young at 17 aside from the occasional exception. He must have been shaving his terrorist beard off every day or something.

Actually this reminds me of an oft neglected secret in the game. If you spend over 100 hours of game time away from any inn as well as collecting and equipping both the sunglasses and fez accessories the Esthar homeland security task force will track you down and lock you up at a secret prison located in the foreign country of Galbadia that's virtually identical to the one you start disk 2 proper in (down to the location even).

To escape you must use strength on the truck.

Additionally if you do happen to have some extra pictures of 17 year olds (of the hot female variety specifically) lying about you could perhaps send them my way instead. ;)

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
DarkCecil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »

I concluded after many hours of playing XIII that it de-thrones FF2j as the worst FF game (except 11 and 14 which are bad, too) because it just didn't feel right.  Too linear.  I tried opening my mind to its battle system and didn't really like it in the end.  At least FF2j lets me go wherever I want and use spells like Fire 8, etc. 

I think XIII killed my fan-dom for the entire FF series.  The last handful of releases are terrible.  Since FF7, they've all gotten slightly worse.  FF7 is extremely good.  8 is a little better than 9, 9 more than 10, and so on.
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »

I want to, very creepily, get pictures of 17 year olds, and take them to Square Enix to show them how they look.  If Squall and friends are 17, Madonna is 106 years old.

Amen sister. Nobody looks that young at 17 aside from the occasional exception. He must have been shaving his terrorist beard off every day or something.

That's funny, I always thought everyone looked older than a teenager. Like they were really all 20 somethings (but models).
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2012, 05:31:27 PM »

It was linear, way too much indeed, but the cast of characters were pretty good from my view. Lightning and Fang we're badass, (and cute), Serah was clueless but I think it was the point. Snow, unlike in FFXIII-2 where he looks quite weird, was okay. Sazch was a funny fellow. Not much to say about Hope and Vanille beside that they were fine.

The story was nothing extraordinary, I will agree on that, but far from being the worst of the series. It was good enough to keep me interested.

As for the battle system that plays itself, thats the other point where I totally agree with you. It surprised me, because that actually one thing that most of the people though it was good on this game... I would have call this system "Auto Battle", because thats almost what you do all game and its really boring.

Things i'd like to add : Awesome environments/cut scene and lack of towns/villages/npcs.

FFXII plays itself; FFXIII requires paradigm shifting during key points in battle and actually pressing buttons.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »

That's pretty much the best explanation there is for why FFVIII is a good game. Also, there sure is a lot of flamebaiting going on by people that dislike FFVIII. Coming up with clever simplifications of, and analogies for, the game may be quite funny to you, but they are ultimately a terrible form of criticism because they don't actually address the game, they address an imaginary game you've created for comedic effect.

Nothing I have written about FF8 is flamebaiting. But I do think that, story-wise, it takes everything that is wrong with the genre and rolls it into one big ball of crap. Usually I can take JRPG stories with a grain of salt, but FF8's just felt insulting.

Also, I got sick of being forced to watch 20 second summon animations every time I wanted to use it that I couldn't skip. Introducing a skip function in FFX was the best thing Squeenix ever did.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2012, 06:47:06 PM »

FF8 was the longest RPG ever.  Fucking battles spun around the environment for 10 seconds before things even got started, and it took another 10 before someone attacked (Quistis is a fox and all, but she swings her whip around 3 times too many).

Point is: FF9 = love.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »

Point is: FF9 = love.

Yes.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »

FFXII plays itself; FFXIII requires paradigm shifting during key points in battle and actually pressing buttons.

FFXII only plays itself if you know the basics of programming. Fortunately most of the people who complain about this don't thus making the solution both obvious and easy. What FFXII did do wrong was making too many overly large environments that are visually uninteresting (like the fucking Sand Sea) or were visually interesting for the first half an hour and two dozen rooms or floors depending on the dungeon but go on for five dozen more rooms/floors than necessary. Also the treasure chests sucked ass.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »

FF12 would have been better in the same environment if it was a MMO.  Works for that stuff, but the gameplay was some of the most boring I've ever played mainly because it went on unrelentingly.  Not like you're chatting in between it either.  And random treasure chests?  Really?  Fan-freaking-tastic... There was a lack of focus there that works for the MMOs, but sure make single-player dungeons unintuitive when it's just you.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »

FFXII only plays itself if you know the basics of programming. Fortunately most of the people who complain about this don't thus making the solution both obvious and easy. What FFXII did do wrong was making too many overly large environments that are visually uninteresting (like the fucking Sand Sea) or were visually interesting for the first half an hour and two dozen rooms or floors depending on the dungeon but go on for five dozen more rooms/floors than necessary. Also the treasure chests sucked ass.

I just turned off gambits for the character I controlled and it at least felt more like I was doing something.  I didn't mind the environments or gameplay because I felt like it was a MMO and kind of treated it as such, but the random treasure chests and low drop rates were stupid for a jrpg.  I also wish we would have gotten the EU license board instead.  Oh well, I enjoyed it but I doubt I would ever give it another go.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »

FFXII's Gambits aren't some incredibly complex system like actual programming. You can set the game to play itself with virtually no input from you aside from moving your character around. That's simply impossible in XIII.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2012, 08:40:10 PM »

I must confess, I didn't even know FFXII had random treasure chests until years after I beat it when I saw people on the internet bitching about it.

I mean what, do you guys play games with a guide in your lap or something?  I just played it through once and enjoyed it for what it was.  Something like reloading over and over to get the best loot out of some chest is something that never even would have occured to me.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: