Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 12:36:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340950 Posts in 13935 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Print
Author Topic: Worst Final Fantasy game (No online games)  (Read 15140 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: January 18, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »

Yeah, Lard in particular hasn't bothered me either. I'll drop it.

Sorry Lard :S

No sweat. I think I made my point too.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »

NO

NO!

NO!!!!

I DEMAND AN INTERNET FIGHT!
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: January 18, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »

THERE WILL BE BLOOD!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: January 18, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »

I'm not really insulted either if someone dislikes VIII despite it being one of my personal favorites. XD Although the reaction it prompts does prove to be a rather nice litmus test about how naive the person in general is about RPGs as a whole based upon their reaction to it. Anyone decrying VIII as a bad game in general should count themselves blessed enough to have not had their innocence snatched by the true 'bad' games of the JRPG barrel.
The twist in FFVIII is arguably worse than even the bad games in the jRPG barrel.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: January 18, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »

From what I've completed, top (best) to bottom (worst):

X
IX
VII
XIII
VI
IV
VIII
V
I

I don't hold much nostalgic love for IV and VI but I think they're solid games.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »

I'm not really insulted either if someone dislikes VIII despite it being one of my personal favorites. XD Although the reaction it prompts does prove to be a rather nice litmus test about how naive the person in general is about RPGs as a whole based upon their reaction to it. Anyone decrying VIII as a bad game in general should count themselves blessed enough to have not had their innocence snatched by the true 'bad' games of the JRPG barrel.
The twist in FFVIII is arguably worse than even the bad games in the jRPG barrel.

Ar Tonelico 3 and Chaos Wars. End of discussion. :-P
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: January 18, 2012, 10:18:17 PM »

Ar Tonelico 3 and Chaos Wars. End of discussion. :-P

And no mention of Star Ocean 3? Shame on you.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »

SO3's hated pretty unfairly. Yeah, the plot is stupid, and at best the plot twist was just executed really badly (there's similar examples out there that are no where near as offensively dumb), but it's still a really fun game more often than not, and the characters generally aren't all that obnoxious. Fair enough if you DO hate the gameplay, but terrible story =/= terrible game.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »

SO3's hated pretty unfairly. Yeah, the plot is stupid, and at best the plot twist was just executed really badly (there's similar examples out there that are no where near as offensively dumb), but it's still a really fun game more often than not, and the characters generally aren't all that obnoxious. Fair enough if you DO hate the gameplay, but terrible story =/= terrible game.

Dude, I have no idea HOW you forgive that game. Not only was it boring and pedantic, but that plot twist, as Penny Arcade so eloquently puts it, fucking MUGGED the player.

Also, some of the most annoying characters ever, prior to SO4.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2012, 10:40:57 PM »

The good thing though is you could just not recruit Roger and Peppita (I'm assuming you mean them).
That's already praise worthy if the game allows you to ditch characters you hate. I know I would have loved that option in many a game.

P.S. If you also meant Adray... I would have agreed with you had I not seen his ending. Funny enough, one of the lamest character has one of the best endings.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:32 PM »

Dude, I have no idea HOW you forgive that game. Not only was it boring and pedantic, but that plot twist, as Penny Arcade so eloquently puts it, fucking MUGGED the player.

Because it's a video game, not a book or movie. The right plot twist can totally fuck up a book, the purpose of which is mainly to tell a story, and to a similar degree a movie that would then need to fall back on pure spectacle, and that can only go so far. For a video game, unless it's something like Phoenix Wright good enough gameplay is always more important than a good enough story, especially when you can zoom past a bad story or it's largely inoffensive and more something that on reflection is really damn dumb (Fallout 3's similar in that regard). Speaking of which, it does have some really obnoxious characters BUT none (or almost none) are part of the core cast, so you'd only see them a few times, and even recruitable ones simply won't pop up in story sequences since it's easier for VA/writing/scene design to only account for those that are always there. Hell, part of it's just bad VA performances, Farleen would've been an inoffensive, forgettable character otherwise, much like her partner.

Though you could also mean the GAMEPLAY is boring, which... well, different strokes.

EDIT: Another angle to bring up actually: I remember enjoying the game long before that plot twist, and still had fun afterwards. As an extension of that "it's a game" point I mentioned, I'm not going forget and ignore that simply because of one dumbass twist.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:24:04 PM by Eusis » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:13 PM »

Yeah, Lard in particular hasn't bothered me either. I'll drop it.

Sorry Lard :S

No sweat. I think I made my point too.

terrible story =/= terrible game.

Quoted for truth.  It's obvious tri-ACE games emphasis gameplay the way Phoenix Wright emphasizes a good story over gameplay (between point and click and some pretty abstract court answers, I assure you, I didn't play it for that).  Both are good on their own merits.  At least the battle system required more than level grinding, a tiring and redundant system.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:27:19 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »

Hell, part of it's just bad VA performances, Farleen would've been an inoffensive, forgettable character otherwise, much like her partner.

I don't get this. It was excellent VA. The character was written as having the most annoying voice. Heck, you could even say that the English VA outdid the Japanese VA.
So yeah, anyone offended should blame whoever wrote the character instead of the VA.

Jap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89rVL-u9daQ#t=145s
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:30:12 PM by Annubis » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »

Dice: Needs more green.

Hell, part of it's just bad VA performances, Farleen would've been an inoffensive, forgettable character otherwise, much like her partner.

I don't get this. It was excellent VA. The character was written as having the most annoying voice. Heck, you could even say the English VA outdid the Japanese VA.
So yeah, anyone offended should blame whoever wrote the character instead of the VA.

This is part of why I said performances, though I'd be factoring in the VA director more here. Sometimes you just have a pile of trash you can't do much with short of a complete rewrite and redoing cutscenes (Star Ocean 4), but it's possible a similar performance could've been made by the same VA under a different director that somehow switches from "awful" to "good". Or the choice of VA simply was not good, she did more than fine as a Tachikoma (or ALL Tachikomas?) in Ghost in the Shell, but given Farleen didn't act or look like a bubbly, cheerful character maybe a more normal voice actress should've been selected. Or a more normal performance made from the same one, whichever.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2012, 11:50:15 PM »

Because it's a video game, not a book or movie. The right plot twist can totally fuck up a book, the purpose of which is mainly to tell a story, and to a similar degree a movie that would then need to fall back on pure spectacle, and that can only go so far. For a video game, unless it's something like Phoenix Wright good enough gameplay is always more important than a good enough story, especially when you can zoom past a bad story or it's largely inoffensive and more something that on reflection is really damn dumb (Fallout 3's similar in that regard). Speaking of which, it does have some really obnoxious characters BUT none (or almost none) are part of the core cast, so you'd only see them a few times, and even recruitable ones simply won't pop up in story sequences since it's easier for VA/writing/scene design to only account for those that are always there. Hell, part of it's just bad VA performances, Farleen would've been an inoffensive, forgettable character otherwise, much like her partner.

Though you could also mean the GAMEPLAY is boring, which... well, different strokes.

EDIT: Another angle to bring up actually: I remember enjoying the game long before that plot twist, and still had fun afterwards. As an extension of that "it's a game" point I mentioned, I'm not going forget and ignore that simply because of one dumbass twist.

It's an RPG dude. Story is NOT something you can dispense with. Dialogue, yes. "Plot" as it were, sure. But a major component of an RPG's gameplay is the progression of the story. These are characters meant to associate with the player. The story is meant to carry the player through sequence after sequence. When a game up and discards the story, especially in a genre where story is important, it has failed as a game. It's one of the major items which distinguishes an adventure game from an RPG, and even in the adventure genre, what SO3 did would be nigh unforgivable. Maybe you like to be more forgiving, but I don't.

Let's not forget the battle system was bug-ridden, plonked you down on a boring mudball for half the experience, had some of the most illogical world construction (HI THERE 5-MINUTE-APART-CITIES), and  it featured shit like Farleen. I don't care if that was "good VA", the choice was fucking stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: