Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 11:36:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341015 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan's Games of the Year 2011 Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's Games of the Year 2011 Thread  (Read 2432 times)
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 08:38:57 PM »

Having had not NEARLY as much time....or money....as I would have liked for gaming this year, I was able to get some time in, so here's what I got:

1. To the Moon
2. The Witcher 2
3. Skyward Sword
4. Tactics Ogre
5. Cthulhu Saves the World

Runners up: Ocarina of Time 3D, Back to the Future, Deus Ex

Favorite non-RPGs: Gears of War 3, Arkham City

Biggest Let Down: 3rd Birthday, Capcom's incredible douchebaggery
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 09:56:03 PM »

I think Deus Ex is my GOTY too, for console at least.

For handheld it would probably be Radiant Historia.

It's nice to see some alternatives touted to Skyrim.

I'm really getting tired of everyone giving Bethesda a free pass for releasing broken games.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 10:23:23 PM »

I'm really getting tired of everyone giving Bethesda a free pass for releasing broken games.

The PS3 version isn't excused, but it IS easier to forgive a huge, expansive world full of countless variables over some linear game that has a reliably recreated bug, like Ar Tonelico 2 and (to a lesser degree because this IS when it gives you freedom uncharacteristic for the rest of the game) Skyward Sword.

I didn't really care to right a full blown top 5, but for RPGs it'd probably have to be...

1. Dark Souls
2. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. Radiant Historia
5. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

I could definitely see the Witcher 2 taking Skyrim off, but 20 hours feels like enough time to judge Skyrim for the purpose of a favorites list, whereas Witcher 2 not so much.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »

I don't even have a top 5 because I don't really get to play games anymore so my top 1

RPG: Skyrim (as I think it's the only RPG that came out in 2011 that I played)
Non-RPG: Arkham City

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 02:26:06 PM »

I don't play as many rpgs as I used to due to time constraints, but I managed to play a couple mentioned.
Bastion and To The Moon were both wonderful. Great music and stories matter a lot to me, and both of these rocked.
I still don't understand all the love for incredibly difficult(so I have read over and over again) games like Demons Souls. Are that many of you just that awesome at games? Do all the people who laud the greatness of Dark and Demons Souls actually play through the whole thing? To be honest, I just get a feeling of bandwagon jumping with these games. Were "supposed" to like them because their hardcore, and only the elite can beat them. From a non-difficulty standpoint they sound pretty awesome to me. I just wish they had a "you suck at games" setting for guys like me. Or would that defeat the point?
Witcher 2 looks awesome, and I look forward to trying it out when it comes out for the 360(why not PS3?).

One last thing. I find it odd that the winner of Game of the Year doesn't win in it's respective category. Is this just to make room for another game to win? Just seems odd to me.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »

@Grim: On your point about Demon and Dark Souls... I'm not trying to come across as arrogant, but I didn't find them overly hard. They're certainly challenging, but I eventually did get through each area or beat each boss. It really just comes down to sticking with it and learning from your mistakes. I personally found that fun and I don't think I jumped on the bandwagon.

Having said that, I didn't like Dark Souls anywhere near as much as I loved Demon's Souls.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 06:53:56 PM »

RPGs I've played in 2011... I think I only played Demon's Souls all the way through.
I've started Nier: Thought it was great and look forward to finishing. Maybe I'll start it up this week
I've gotten about 1/2 way through Dragon Age 2 and enjoyed it. Let down, but enjoyed it. I can't remember why I stopped. I think Akanbe- and I started our Gears of War playthrough then. I'll finish it before school starts up again, maybe.
I started FF13 just to see how pretty it is. (My neighbor lent it to me). I like the combat, but everything else is really weak.
I started Trails in the Sky, but the ride to work is too short to do much except run around a little. When school starts up again I'll play that on the way down. That's like an hour train ride.

So since I can't rank any actual RPGs besides Demon's Souls here's my year review of games I've played
*drumroll*

Shadow of the Colossus - I'm troubled by the reported grappling physics change, but this is one of the best I've ever played. For me the hype holds up. There's a minimal story, but it is what you want it to be I think. I enjoyed the feeling that I was exploring and desecrating at sacred land. Ending is my jam

Demon's Souls - Said enough, I loved it. Environment, Loot, Minimalism, and music are great

LA Noire - Very fractured. The pattern of investigate, interrogate, and chase / shoot ruin the games momentum. At times the conversations develop awkwardly and  also the the order of hitting up locations in a case isn't intuitive and it's easy to miss out on a clue or witness. However the style, music, voice acting, and overall story is incredible. I especially loved the game from vice squad on.

God of War 3. I beat this with a buddy. Great graphics. fun as hell. Sometimes a bit disturbing. Especially where he jams the lady he rescues in a gear on a door. I didn't like that.

Gears of War 1 - Akanbe and I beat this coop style. Lots of fun. I liked the parts where each player takes a different path. A nice challenge there. And I love games where one guy is the shotgun guy and the other guy holds a ranged weapon.

Portal 2 - People have complained about how the puzzles are basically "look for the wall in the distance" stuff later in the game but the 1st part, the humor, AWESOME soundtrack, and forward momentum really make this game great. Add in the great co-op (another Akanbe- joint) with awesome free DLC and this is one great game.

Earth Defense Force - B-movie fun Love it. It controls well and the ridiculous voice overs from the team mates need to be heard to believed. It's incredibly long too. Like 60 levels. Most only take a few minutes. There's also so much on screen action it's insane. Big ass bugs flying away when you shoot them w. a rocket. Space ships crashing all around. Love it

MW3 - Fun campaign. Nothing memorable. Great multiplayer. That's all.

Red Dead Redemption. This has the same flaws in narrative that LA Noire does. While the missions are varied, the story progresses in a predictable and annoying way. Every level is John trying to get something out of someone who says if that he helps them he'll get what he needs. At the end of the level the other person goes "soon, John. Soon! i need help w/ ___X____" Awesome atmosphere and great gameplay. Nice gunplay too. Voicework is also great.

Dead Space - Spooky and fun. Great graphics and atmosphere, but you knew what was going to happen by entering a room and seeing where the vents were. I loved the story, surprisingly, and it's very good. The boss fights were great too. Been a while since I played a survival horror title so this was excellent. The game was too loud though. Bad guys screech annoyingly and endlessly. The only really scary part is one part where a guy you can't kill is chasing you. Those get the heart pumpin IMHO

My list:
1) Shadow of C
2) Demon's
3) Portal 2
4) RDR
5) Gears
6) LA Noire
7) GOW3
8) Dead Space
9) EDF

edit: I also beat Uncharted 1. Sneak that in there somewhere. It doesn't matter. It was a fun game. I'm hoping for more from UC2 because of all I've read about it and how much people love it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:04:04 PM by Yoda » Logged
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 08:21:27 AM »

The new RPGs I played this year were Dragon Age 2, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex HR, Bastion, Cthulhu Saves the World, Skyrim and all the DLC for Fallout New Vegas. Bastion was easily the best of those (along with Old World Blues), the others were all flawed in some way, though they were still very enjoyable.

DA2 recylced areas all too often, had too many filler battles, and the art style was boring. TW2's combat felt clunky, and the atmosphere didn't capture what I liked about the first one, I'd have preferred a more down to earth approach. Deus Ex HR really needed another hub in place of one of the longer builiding complexes, less skill points so you don't become a master of everything, and the hacking minigame got really old after a while. CStW was much improved from BoDVII, although the dungeons were still just as annoying and mazelike. Skyrim needed much better quest design, less fetch and kill quests, and certain dungeon templates were overused, especially the barrows.

1 Bastion
2 Old World Blues (yes, I know it's not a full game but it deserves a mention)
3 Deus Ex HR
4 Skyrim
5 Dragon Age 2

The Witcher 2 would probably rank up there if I replayed it with the fixes made by the last patch, but at the time I was frustrated by technical issues and the combat just wasn't that fun coming off after Batman Arkham Asylum, the last game I'd played. Nothing in the game quite clicked with me the same way the first did, I was hoping they'd build on the incredible atmosphere of Vizima, especially the murder mystery section.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:52:37 AM by DPB » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 02:17:52 PM »

A) Deus Ex (without hesitation)
B) Radient Historiad
C) Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
D) Skyward Sword
E) A bunch of non-RPGs

I have yet to play Skyrim (getting it next).

Of course, with Xenoblade categorized as 2012, these lists are sort of like watching the 2007 Oscars when There Will Be Blood was banned from the soundtrack category. I just hope people remember it well enough to give it its due "2012 GOTY", because it absolutely throttled everything in 2011 as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:21:47 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »

@Grim: On your point about Demon and Dark Souls... I'm not trying to come across as arrogant, but I didn't find them overly hard. They're certainly challenging, but I eventually did get through each area or beat each boss. It really just comes down to sticking with it and learning from your mistakes. I personally found that fun and I don't think I jumped on the bandwagon.

Having said that, I didn't like Dark Souls anywhere near as much as I loved Demon's Souls.

i would concur with everything save the last sentence i'd say i like demon's souls just slightly more.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »

Do all the people who laud the greatness of Dark and Demons Souls actually play through the whole thing?

I'm pretty sure I have finished Demon's Souls a bit more than 10 times or so and Dark Souls between 6 and 7 times now.

These games can last as long as you want by exploring, experimenting, helping other players online or whatever you wanna do really. These are one of the few games that I like wandering around just to see if I find something new.

To be honest, I just get a feeling of bandwagon jumping with these games. Were "supposed" to like them because their hardcore, and only the elite can beat them. From a non-difficulty standpoint they sound pretty awesome to me. I just wish they had a "you suck at games" setting for guys like me. Or would that defeat the point?

There is no such thing as bandwagon. Sure, at the beginning is very intriguing seeing so much people loving a game as "cruel" as this but like it was mentioned before if you stick with it and really get into it then you are gonna be surprised by how much you enjoy the game.

Though, I find it interesting how some people have said that they like the ideas behind both games but not the execution.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »

Great discussion, guys. It's interesting to read what everyone thought about 2011 in gaming. There was certainly plenty to talk about!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

The RPGs released this year that I've played were Ys 3 & 7, LoH:TitS, Radiant Historia, and Skyward Sword.

I think I'd put RH on top, then SS, then YsIII, then TitS, and finally Ys7. Anything else was apparently not worth remembering.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »

The Witcher 2, huh?

I gotta hurry up and beat the first so I can play dat.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »

I know these don't often get discussed even though they're read, but my favorite part of GOTY has always been the individual editors' lists.  Even before I joined staff, when I was still a reader, those were what I would read first.  I often didn't care about the sitewide stuff, it was the editors' choices I was interested in, especially since someone would probably have an outlier title in there somewhere.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: