Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 08:37:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334650 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Leeky Cauldron: The RPGfan Food and Recipe Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Leeky Cauldron: The RPGfan Food and Recipe Thread  (Read 8066 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »

Damn, you guys got the know-how! I've been learning all this stuff over the years from my fit crazy wife. One thing that has helped me is to make it so I am eating something every couple hours. Generally, smaller breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, with healthy snacks in between. It keeps your metabolism working all day long. I also drink only water and tea most days. I gave up carbonated beverages a few years back. Don't miss them at all. I also drink wine, but keep it to a minimum. My wife and I share one bottle a week. 2 in a good week. It's better for your health to drink red, but I'm a fan of reislings, so we mix it up.
Also, if you like chocolate, go dark. It is actually good for you in limited quantities. Fiber and anti-oxidants. Plus, it's damn delicious once you acquire the taste. Milk chocolate is almost nasty to me now. Plus, go with the better brands like Lindt and Ghirardelli. Hershey dark is junk.

I should really contribute food recipes or something. Maybe later.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »

Yes, smaller meals and snacks throughout the day. It helps if you plan them out, too. Recipe time.

Shrimp Tacos

This is a really quick recipe to make, and it will blow the roof off of your mouth with deliciousness.

1-2 lbs. of de-veined, frozen shrimp (do not buy the precooked ones)
1 can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
4 tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 medium white onion
1 bunch of cilantro
2 limes
Salt
Pepper
Olive Oil

Slice the onion into rings and caramelize in a pan. While doing that, blacken the garlic and tomatoes in the broiler. Once all that's done, throw them in a blender.

De-shell the shrimp, salt and pepper to taste, and cook them halfway in a little bit of olive oil. You don't need to worry about undercooked seafood because they'll be going right back into the pan in moment.

Now pour that tomato sauce in the pan and cook it on high heat for about two minutes, stirring constantly to prevent boiling. Throw the shrimp back in and finish cooking.

Cut up two of the chipotle peppers finely and add them to the pan. You can spoon some of the adobo sauce to make this a little more spicy. These only need to be added in the last minute of so.

Take off the heat. Squeeze a lime or two into the pan, and add a 1/4 cup of diced cilantro.

Serve in flour tortillas. It pairs very well with rice, black beans, and tequila.

Total prep time is ~15 minutes.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 12:46:39 PM »

I also drink only water and tea most days.

Tea is great and not nearly as boring as most people think. Even when you're on a tight budget like me there are so many flavours to try. I like to start my morning with something fruity, softer green teas are nice for during the day and rooibos with some honey makes for a good treat. Of course, I also drink a lot of regular water, but I can't get through cold days without some nice hot tea.

Also, if you like chocolate, go dark. It is actually good for you in limited quantities. Fiber and anti-oxidants. Plus, it's damn delicious once you acquire the taste. Milk chocolate is almost nasty to me now. Plus, go with the better brands like Lindt and Ghirardelli. Hershey dark is junk.

Yep, dark chocolate is the best! Milk chocolate is much too sweet once you've developed a taste for the real stuff. I don't go below 70% if I can help it.

A really simple, easy breakfast is Greek yogurt with granola. If you have a little more time, cook an egg, top with tomatoes, avocado, and radishes. A piece of wheat toast with some jelly isn't bad, either.

Yogurt is hip right now, but there's a ton of things you can eat for breakfast. I usually go for a simple sandwich or oatmeal porridge. Add a little sugar made from sugarcane and raisins, and it's like eating liquid cookies.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »

Alright thanks for the tips. I had cereal (i dont really have much other than that and toast right now) and some water for breakfast today. Hopefully it will help.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 10:43:43 PM »

I'm kind of poor so I like to stir fry a lot, it's an easy and cheap way to eat healthy. In the winter, I fucking love the crock pot, I make chili, gumbo, soup, stew....
Recently I've been making spaghetti with garlic and kale, and diced sun-dried tomatoes on top. Pretty delicious.
Also, breakfast rules. I almost always wake up hungry and cook bacon, eggs, and toast, the whole spread. Omelettes, as well. I kind of go through phases with my breakfast routine.
Also also, I agree about dark chocolate being superior to milk chocolate. But honestly, I'm really not into sweets very much.

I always recommend smoking weed to people who can't sleep. Even just a tiny bit. It works so much better than any medication I've used, but I guess it's probably not for everyone.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2012, 12:06:47 AM »

I drink water like five times a day at least. (It should be more, like 8.) I also have breakfast no matter what. It gets your metabolism going that day. Nothing really sweet though, or my stomach will be upset all day long. So no pancakes, waffles, chocolate sprinkles on toast, Lucky Charms or any sugary cereal. I try to go not sweet at all, but I always need a cube of sugar in my coffee. :-P

PS. water after you've had coffee (or, say, black tea) is a good idea too. Coffee is super dehydrating.

Yogurt is delicious. I need to buy the Greek stuff sometime. I miss it. Also dark chocolate is my favourite (with mint, preferably).

I've been trying to get into using free-run eggs more often, but damn they're pricey.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2012, 03:50:00 AM »

So no pancakes, waffles

Noooo!!!! Say it ain't so!

PS. water after you've had coffee (or, say, black tea) is a good idea too. Coffee is super dehydrating.

Yeah, you gotta' keep an eye on what teas are diuretics, and which aren't. Same with soft drinks and such. I'm glad I've largely cut them from my system.

Yogurt is delicious. I need to buy the Greek stuff sometime

I love and adore yogurt. Probably one of my favourite foods. However, my recent onset of lactose intolerance keeps my intake on more of a minimum... boo... but I'll never give it up, ever! I find I can eat it, and ice cream, in smaller amounts without really being bothered, so that makes me happy. I'm perfectly fine without milk or cheese.

I've been trying to get into using free-run eggs more often, but damn they're pricey.

That they are, but just so much better for things in general. I like their crazy orangey-yellowness too!

Shrimp Tacos

This is a really quick recipe to make, and it will blow the roof off of your mouth with deliciousness.

Shrimp tacos are amazing. I have a recipe for some that mostly goes with a nice guacomole and some tomato and such, leaving out the salsa which is much nicer with the shrimp. I wanna' try your recipe, though!

Just Greg, thanks.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 10:36:45 AM »

Alright thanks for the tips. I had cereal (i dont really have much other than that and toast right now) and some water for breakfast today. Hopefully it will help.

You should notice a difference just because you're eating in the morning. People who aren't used to this complain that they get hungry again a few hours later. That means your metabolism is working. The reason why you feel fuller longer when you skip that first meal is, like I said, because your body goes into survival mode and stores it all as fat.

You should try to get some fruit and veggies in the morning and be mindful of the sugar in your cereal.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »

protein in the morn'
sugar shit like fruit and veggies and she'll be hungry in an hour.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 12:44:35 PM »

protein in the morn'
sugar shit like fruit and veggies and she'll be hungry in an hour.

For sure, but they bring a lot of vitamins to the table. It's pretty easy to mix it all. Yogurt with granola and fresh fruit, for example. Sugar isn't bad, you use it to get a quick pick me up, but unless you've eaten some complex cards or protein you will crash.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »

I was told eating better would help me sleep better. Any suggestions for what I should eat?

This is gonna sound strange but trust me....

I have had a number of problems throughout my life that have had me working with more doctors and nutritionists than you can shake a stick at.... I can (sadly) reference the amino acid breakdown of most all common protein sources you see in the food store right off the top of my head.....

Strategy 1:
For the last 7 hours or so before bedtime try to avoid any high-glycemic carbs.... If you don't know what high glycemic carbs are print yourself out a list offline.... To be honest, you would feel best if you cut em out completely,  after a week or two of feeling deprived a bit, but I know that is unrealistic... none-the-less, back to the matter at hand.... For your last meal which should be timed about 8-10 hours or so before you intend on waking, consume Turkey Breast (3-6 oz. worth), with a small portion of almonds and broccoli. Go and get the following spices/herbs: Celery Seed, dill, turmeric, parsley and anise seed.... go heavy on the anise and celery seed especially.... I don't really like these spices, so instead of topping with them, I'll usually just blend em all up, add some liquid and down em like medicine.....

Strategy 2:
If your like me and wake up 9 times a night and wander back into the kitchen despite the aforementioned strategy, keep some dried cherries on hand for something to eat and almond milk around for something to drink....

Stratefy 3:
Heat up unsweetened almond milk (at least 16 ounces) sweeten with stevia (important even if you don't like it) and sip right before turning in.... This strategy will sometimes make you have to frequent the bathroom at night though

NOTE: You can replace the almonds in strategy 1 with the almond milk heated up in Strategy 3 to be more effective...

I would go into the details of exactly why this works but it would prove to be a bit longwinded... Play around with it.... make it palatable... but you'll see if you give it a shot, works wonders....

Lastly:
Just briefly about breakfast and exercise in regard to your problem.... Be sure to keep as many high glycemic carbs out of your breakfast as possible, especially if your having any type of fat with it... I don't care if its good or bad fat... makes no difference, either will prove troublesome as far as your aim is concerned... On the other hand, protein and low glycemic carbs for breakfast is perfect..... Make certain to localize exercise to as early in the day as possible but certainly no later than 7 hours before bedtime... As soon as your done working out consume high glycemic carbs in combination with some lean protein source (no fats with this meal)

Thats it! Though what I've outlined may sound a bit complex, it really is simply a matter of paying attention to the glycemic index of the carbs you are having and then employing the nutritional strategies I've outlined at night which provide you with specific nutrient combo's that will potentiate your ability to fall, and stay, asleep.

Good luck :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 02:59:35 PM »

It should be noted that you want to eat some fat in the morning. It gets your metabolism burning it, and your body needs it. Controlling how much and what you put it in is key.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 05:18:49 PM »

It should be noted that you want to eat some fat in the morning. It gets your metabolism burning it, and your body needs it. Controlling how much and what you put it in is key.

I agree to a point...  Though you don't need to eat fat to burn fat... however consuming fat along with your breakfast, will slow the digestion rate and lower the total GI rating which can be a good thing.... then again when your body is in a fasting state you sort of want those nutrients assimilated ASAP.... all depends on the scenario really... But I still contest that fats in addition to any high glycemic carbs is still a no no..... But thats a rule of thumb for any meal of the day really....

I personally have small amounts of coconut-based fats along with just about everything... Works well for me

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »

I agree to a point...  Though you don't need to eat fat to burn fat... however consuming fat along with your breakfast, will slow the digestion rate and lower the total GI rating which can be a good thing.... then again when your body is in a fasting state you sort of want those nutrients assimilated ASAP.... all depends on the scenario really... But I still contest that fats in addition to any high glycemic carbs is still a no no..... But thats a rule of thumb for any meal of the day really....

I personally have small amounts of coconut-based fats along with just about everything... Works well for me

I'm not advocating people go stock up on lard, but your body needs fats. It's an indisputable fact.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 05:30:02 AM »

I've had my fair share of experiences with nutritionists as well and what I want to add is that you shouldn't overthink your diet. You don't want to get sucked in by the details. Planning meals days ahead isn't the right thing to do unless you have complex medical problems. Sure there's a ton of science behind food, but how you experience food is just as important when trying eat better. Eating healthier is a lot easier when you know what you like and take the time to enjoy it.

Besides, there's really no magical good food formula that works for everyone. There are basic things everyone should do like drink plenty of water, but stuff like proper portion size varies from person to person.

Back when I was in high school, I needed a lot of energy to get through the day. Close to 3000kcal. I ate pretty healthy too. Proper meals, but big portions. My friends always made fun of my lunchbox. I lost weight whenever I ate less than that, which is not something I should've be doing at 110-115 pounds. But that's me. Unless you're a professional athlete, you'd probably gain a lot of weight if you ate like a 17 year old me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: