Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 05:36:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341042 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Leeky Cauldron: The RPGfan Food and Recipe Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Leeky Cauldron: The RPGfan Food and Recipe Thread  (Read 8768 times)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »

I have to force myself to eat frozen vegetables. It is even worse if they are mixed frozen vegetables. It is actually one of the reasons I decided to learn how to cook properly.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »

I'm quite fond of frozen vedge. :P I get the Birdeye steam packs you put in the microwave for 4 minutes. Crunchy and flavorful. They are doing a divine garlic one just now.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2014, 02:51:44 PM »

I have to force myself to eat frozen vegetables. It is even worse if they are mixed frozen vegetables. It is actually one of the reasons I decided to learn how to cook properly.

Dude, you're not supposed to eat them while they're still frozen...

It's true that frozen vegetables can be pretty bland if you don't do something with them, but what do you expect?  I make awesome stir-fry with frozen veggies.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »

It might just be bad memories with soggy vegetables. I can stop it now but there are few things that taste worse than soggy veggies to me. I had to unlearn a lot of home cooking when I started cooking for myself.

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »

I made PBJ waffles today. <3

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2014, 12:24:59 AM »

I am greatly upset at the loss of sweet chili sauce at mcdonalds, and have been trying to find a suitable replacement...so much so that I've tried concocting my own. I took ketchup, red pepper flakes, pancake syrup, onion and garlic powder, and a little spicy barbeque sauce and mixed them all together til the consistency was like cough syrupy. It....wasn't terrible actually. I took a chicken cutlet and 2 waffles and ate it like a sandwich witb said sauce and it was decent enough...

I miss the sweet chili sauce.

TASTY!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2014, 09:57:39 AM »

I am greatly upset at the loss of sweet chili sauce at mcdonalds, and have been trying to find a suitable replacement...so much so that I've tried concocting my own. I took ketchup, red pepper flakes, pancake syrup, onion and garlic powder, and a little spicy barbeque sauce and mixed them all together til the consistency was like cough syrupy. It....wasn't terrible actually. I took a chicken cutlet and 2 waffles and ate it like a sandwich witb said sauce and it was decent enough...

I miss the sweet chili sauce.

I found out they got rid of the Sweet Chili Sauce the week after I found out they got rid of the Big Mac Snack Wrap. I don't think I can eat at McDonalds anymore.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2014, 10:50:28 PM »

Went crazy with the napa cabbage tonight.  Made a Cantonese-style stir-fry shrimp with napa cabbage dish.  I added some sweet chili sesame oil in addition to the regular sesame oil it called for.  Also I doubled the sauce since I love to mix the sauce into my rice at  end of the meal.  Well doubling it called for 1 teaspoon of pepper.  I also ate some Kim-chee on the side.  Needless to say I had a box of tissue next to me at the dinner table.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2014, 08:11:20 PM »

Every time I get a Five Guys burger, I stare at it for 20 minutes wondering what was going through my head when I decided to get a Five Guys Burger.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2014, 10:10:08 PM »

Made sausage gravy. It was a little salty, but otherwise really good.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2014, 02:53:06 PM »

Made some Rice Krispie buns. Most went into those bun holder things for later. I did set aside a bowl of it to eat by myself while it was still warm. I basically treated it like it was cereal. I have no regrets.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »

If you want to experience pure flavor in your mouth get new Cheez-It "Zingz"

Queso Fundido is the money flavor.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2014, 01:22:39 PM »

Frozen veggies are good for stews and such. Especially on the pea end of the spectrum
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »

I made seared tuna with a soy/wasabi glaze today, for the second time and man oh man is it tasty. Before I made this recipe, I had no idea what mushy peas were, but damn! Good job on that, England.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: May 22, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »

*looks to see how old this topic is*

Fuck, I should have posted something here years ago, being that I'm a chef and all.  I guess I can fix that.

I've challenged myself to go vegetarian for a month, just to shake up a bit of a cooking rut I've been in lately.  But when I get home from a hard day of cooking, the last thing I want to do is hop in my own kitchen for an hour.  So on days off I cook basic shit in bulk that I can make a variety of different recipes with.  I decided I'd throw together a meatless version of a beloved food item:  chili.  Here it is.

NOTE:  If you follow this recipe, you will have a shit ton of chili.  Be prepared.

Three Bean Cruelty-Free Tongue Orgasm Chili o'Flame

1 can black beans, like 16 oz. or some shit
1 can pinto beans, same size
1 can chickpeas (or garbanzo beans, if you're an asshole), same size
1 little can of chipolte peppers in adobo sauce that you can find huddling in the Mexican section of the grocery store

1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper

Or three green ones if you're cheap, it's up to you.

1 red onion
1 yellow onion
4 tomatoes

A good two cups of stock/tomato sauce (you'll see, just keep going)

And..maybe a tablespoon of Worcestershire or soy sauce.  Since there's no meat, this will add a bit of umami to the dish.  Look it up.

Now then...spices.  I've seen grown men get in fights over what sorts of spices you should and shouldn't put in chili.  As far as I'm concerned, the only two you really need (besides salt, duh) are chili powder and cayenne pepper.  Everything else you add is just a matter of personal taste.  This is what seperates the kids from the adults:  adding your own flair.  Here's what I put, but this certainly isn't set in stone.

1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper (the chipotle peppers are pretty hot, don't go nuts here)
5 cloves garlic
2 tsp dried oregano
1 heaping Tbsp paprika (I fucking love paprika, but you could cut this back to 1.5 tsp easily)
2 tsp cumin
Salt to taste (maybe two teaspoons or so in my case, I'm not super big on salt)

Optional:

2 tsp cocoa (optional because some idiots are weirded out by cocoa that isn't in dessert form)

Other possibilities are cinnamon, thyme, coriander, cilantro, and so forth.  Go nuts.  Life is an adventure.

Step One:  Dice the hell out of those vegetables.

Step One and a Half:  Open those beans, then toss them in a colander and wash them REAL good.  You don't want canned bean juice up in your chili, brah.

Step Two:  Saute all of those vegetables (except the tomatoes!) in some olive oil over medium heat in the biggest pot you own.  There's a lot of them, so this will take some time!  Don't be tempted to crank the heat up.  It's just like making love:  move too fast and you'll potentially ruin the whole thing.  When you see the onions start to go translucent, you're good to go.

Step Three:  Toss in the tomatoes and chipotle peppers.  They will fall apart pretty quickly, and they're supposed to!

Step Four:  Add the washed beans!  You're getting there!

Step Five:  We need some liquid.  This would be an excellent use of any non-salted the fuck out of stock you have on hand, about two cups or so, maybe a little more.  If you're like I was and don't have any on hand, just grab some bland Prego and throw in there.  Not too much, we don't want this shit to taste like a pizza.  Let the peppers and onions do most of the talking.

Step Six:  Add the spices!  But remember to mince/chop/press/whatever your garlic, don't just throw the cloves in whole.  I grated mine with a cheese grater over the pot because I don't give a fuck.

Step Seven:  Wait at least 30 minutes!  This would be a good time to go find a container to put all this in.

Step Eight:  Serve hot!

Serve it in a bowl, over tortilla chips, over rice, over noodles, nestled tightly in a corn tortilla; all these things and more, in like fifteen minutes of actual effort.

Vegetarianism, bitches.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: