Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 05:02:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332943 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  9/11
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 9/11  (Read 1785 times)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2006, 01:22:27 PM »

Okay guys....most of you were here five years ago during 9/11. If you werent....well we pretty much beat the topic to death. I want to tell you guys a quick story about that morning and about another member of these boards.

I slept through the first tower being hit....I had just moved into my first place with a friend and my older sister. Having lived away from my parents for no more than 7-8 days....I was spending a lot of nights up late drinking and whatnot. At approx 8ish AM I woke up, I dont remember why, but I remember hearing the phone ringing in the distance well before I woke up.

I picked up the receiver and dialed the voicemail number to check messages. Six messages were left. Four were from my mom and dad...trying to wake us up...one was from Comcast telling us that our cable TV installation had to be pushed back to between noon and four PM.

I dont remember the exact wording, but the last message was my man Dave's (Dave, Q, QDave, David Oak, etc....member here for several years) voice. He was completely freaked out saying how World War III had started, the World Trade Centers had been attacked, the Pentagon had been attacked, and how major coastal cities were targets. He was calling to make sure I was okay.

Now here it is five years later and we've all come to grips with that day....but I'm thankful that I can call you guys friends, and that even though we arent all from the same country, speak the same language, play the same games, or even get along.....that I love you guys...all of you.

Dave: Thanks man.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 03:01:59 PM »

That whole fucking day still rings out in my head, like it happened yesterday and everything in between hasn't actually occurred.

5:30 or something AM here, and I was up, playing video games. I remember getting a phone call from a friend of mine who worked graveyard at Sav-On and had just turned on some news channel to see that "a helicopter crashed into the World Trade Center." I was like "Shit, I should go in the living room and turn on the TV."

And when I did, the second plane hit.

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 04:21:27 PM »

I guess I'll reply to this topic with a stereotypical "Where were you when you heard about the World Trade Center" thing.

I had gone to school at 6 a.m. that day because I had a weights class for football and that was when the coaches wanted us there everyday. That class went by almost normally, except for when one of our team captains went out and said the drill team wasn't practicing and then said, "Something crazy is going on out there." He didn't even know what he meant but what he said has remained pretty vivid in my mind over the last few years when I stop to think about it.

After weights I went to my American History class. On the way there I noticed the halls were unusually quiet but didn't really bother to find out why. Then the instant I walked into class I see "America Under Attack" on the television. I sat down and watched as they showed footage of the planes hitting the towers. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My school's principal wanted the teachers to continue class as they normally would, but my history teacher simply said this is history in the making and was therefore applicable to our class. So we sat and watched the news coverage and I very vividly remember watching the cameras zoom in on the buildings only to see people jumping out of the windows and falling to their deaths.

Then in my last class of the day we watched as the towers collapsed and reports of final telephone calls to family from people trapped in the WTC first started to show up and I found those phone calls, when some of them actually surfaced, deeply affecting.

On a personal note:

I don't know if anyone else felt the same way, but while I was watching all of this happen I had the strongest feeling that this event would shape my future and who I would become. I don't know if or how it will affect the person I am; maybe it's even already shaped who I am. But the feeling was there.

Yesterday while at work I was offended when my coworkers changed the radio station because it stopped playing music and began talking about 9/11. So instead of hearing programming centered on 9/11 I was forced to listen to Justin Timberlake sing something about bringing sexy back. I can understand why people might want to avoid the subject, but I think it is one that shouldn't be avoided.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 05:50:40 PM »

I remember the day very vividly, and how scared I was.

I was actually in Portland, OR at the time and I stayed up late the night before and had no classes on that day, so I slept in till about 11 am. I woke up and went on IRC and people were all freaked out, asking where a friend of mine was who lives about 8 miles away from the WTC. Of course, I had no idea why they were all freaked out. They then said, "OMG, you DON'T know?!" and told me everything that happened (by now, pretty much everything had occured). I didn't believe them. I thought they were pulling my leg.

By some miracle I managed to get on MSNBC, and THAT was when I freaked out, because I knew then WWIII had started (or so I thought).

By some miracle too, the cable TV I paid for for the year was FINALLY hooked up, so I flipped it on CNN and saw Building 7 collapse (Many people forget that one because it's fairly small).

The next two hours I spent trying to find my friend (who was fine) talking to parents, and watching the news. The entire campus was pretty somber. I remember that night going to bed with a massive headache, feeling sick to my stomach after all that had happened, and hearing F16 fighter jets flying over the school, and shaking with fear.

It makes you really appreciate peace when you have it, because things can flip around at any given moment.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 05:55:32 PM »

I totally remember where I was when I first heard about the attacks:  leaving school after one class to nurse a hangover from the night before.  I was flipping through the radio and landed on the local classic rock station.  Their morning show at the time was composed of two douchebags who acted as if they were gonna be the next Howard Stern.  Completely tasteless assholes; I hated them, but the station is the only non-pop/country station around here, so I had no real choice.

Anyway, I found out later that I had tuned in just after the second plane had hit.  These guys were talking about the destruction of the World Trade Center...and I thought they were pulling a stupid shock jock prank.  So I called their show, got hold of their producer or somebody, and proceeded to chew her the fuck out for airing such a tasteless "comedy" bit. :P

I always meant to call and apologize to that poor woman, but I never did. :P

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 07:30:35 PM »

I had just started my MA studies at NYU when the attacks hit.  I was living on West 3rd street, barely a handful of subway stops from WTC.  I could see the towers from my across-the-hall neighbors' window.  

Just the weekend before, some friends and I were standing at the corner of my apartment complex and one person pointed and said "look, the twin towers.  The towers look happy."  

I slept through the incident until my neighbor was frantically knocking on my door telling me to check the news because some fucked up shit was happening.  I was in shock.  My phone line was down, but thankfully I could still internet, so I e-mailed everyone I knew and posted on every message board community I was a valued member of to say "I'm okay."  

I was shocked, disgusted, and completely beside myself.  I wanted to do something, but also felt helpless.  So I decided to take a walk and see what was going on at the local hospitals and see if I could maybe donate some blood or something.  The crowds outside the hospitals were massive and people were getting turned away.  Either way, I had a great time just walking around NYC, everyone was really friendly and I talked to so many random people.  I've always thought NYC was a very warm and friendly place and this further confirmed it.  NYC= the greatest city in the world, bar none.  

I hadn't eaten anything all day.  I was too disgusted to eat.  But my neighbor invited me over to dinner.  She had cooked up a storm and was feeding all of us on our floor.  

For the next few days, lower Manhattan was under lockdown so I couldn't get in or get out.  I was pretty much stuck in the NYU vicinity, but it didn't matter.  Everything I needed was there, and my new friends were all there.  

For weeks afterward, the air was pretty thick.  You could smell the rubble from my balcony for weeks and there was lots of black dust on the balcony.  

The NYU professors were extremely supportive of us.  One of them had a husband who was a fireman summoned to the WTC.  Another one was on the news talking about effective ways parents and teachers handle children during such a trying time.  Another one managed to bend university policy in a few ways to ensure that we all had bonus opportunities to do well in her course.  

I have a friend who was on the 61st floor of the 2nd tower and barely made it out with his life.  

September 11, 2001 was one of the most intense times of my life.  But not even 9/11 could dampen my spirits.  In fact, I still look back to my years at NYU living in NYC as the absolute best couple of years of my life.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 08:05:08 PM »

It was about 4pm here when I found out. I got in from school, and there was a message on the machine from my mum, telling me to turn on BBC News 24. I don't think the towers had collapsed at that point, but I'm not totally sure on that.

The strange thing was, it didn't hit me as that big a deal at first. I think perhaps not being in the same country lessened the immediate impact. It was only as the coverage stretched on into the evening that I realised the sheer scale of what had happened.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
JetEnduro

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 11:12:57 PM »

What was I doing on that day... Oh yeah! Sleeping! I remember my little brother trying to wake me up and tell me what happened and that he was worried about our mom but I just told him to get hell out =P

Then when I woke up and remembered what my bro told me, I thought it was just some accident and went on with my day. Then as the day progressed I realized what a tragedy it was. I felt (kinda) bad for being so apathetic, but I'm always like that.

Then I felt even worse, that I forgot my mom was in DC and I wasn't even worried! Yeah I felt like a total jerk that day, but anyway she was fine and got some pics of The Pentagon still smokin'. She said it was... surreal to look at. She was stuck there for two extra weeks then she planned(She was actually supposed to leave on the eleventh)

So I'll never forget that time,it was just so shocking and.. kinda depressing. also because i had to take care of my bro that whole time. -_-

So yeah... that's my 9/11 "experience".
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 11:52:35 PM »

Shit . . . I feel way older now than I do just five years ago when this all happened. I remember being in 9th grade health class when my teacher walked in late with a pretty solemn look on his face. He basically told us the towers had been hit by planes, and we watched some of it on TV. It's unfortunate, but the event really didn't affect "me" all that much. I mean, yes I was shocked that it had happened but I think I was too young at the time for anything to really sink in. My family was all safe at home, that's about all that mattered to me then.

It's kind of unfortunate that this day is sort of fading away. My girlfriend remarked on the lack of quality of the memorial programs this morning. I pretty much agree that this is a day that shouldn't be forgotten, but as we go further and further from the date of the catastrophe, it feels more and more like a fading dream.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 03:56:43 AM »

Marsh: On the other hand, should it be beat to death every 9/11 afterwards? It should be remembered, but not plastered all over the TV, and forcing those that suffered the most to relieve it.

I was in bed when I heard the news, before I went to the doctor's. I really don't know what to say that others haven't already said, but it got me to go back into #rpgfan, which was on hiatus from for awhile then, since the others there were concerned. Some time afterwards, I had found out that a cousin of my dad had lost her husband. He was on one of the planes that crashed into the WTC. I admittedly never knew or even remember meeting either, but I'm sorry for her nevertheless.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: