Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 05:22:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341195 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  How long do you play an RPG for in one sitting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: How long do you play an RPG for in one sitting  (Read 3831 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »

You instill the faith in me to be an adult gamer (let alone a family-man gamer) and I love you for it.

I thank gaming in my life for keeping to phrase "I'm bored" limited to the classroom.
I like games for the guaranteed "down time".

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 02:14:15 PM »

You instill the faith in me to be an adult gamer (let alone a family-man gamer) and I love you for it.

I thank gaming in my life for keeping to phrase "I'm bored" limited to the classroom.
I like games for the guaranteed "down time".
Ha. Thanks, Dice. I know there are a few others around here in a similar situation. Damian and Pat, for starters. I remember thinking when I was younger that there would be a time when I no longer would be playing games. well, it never happened. There's been ups and downs, of course, but never have I ever stopped playing video games as a hobby. I'm lucky also that I have a great wife who has never once tried to change me, like a lot of women seem to do to their men. She likes games just fine herself, but way more casually. Mario Kart and the like. It's all about balance. I take care of all the important things first, then I split my free time between my few hobbies. I just don't get the time to do these 8,10, 0r 12 hr sessions like some of the people above. Games take me a lot longer to play through, but I enjoy them as much as I ever have.
I remember when I worked at Babbages(Gamestop before it was gamestop) having a few dedicated older dudes who showed up once a month to buy a new game. One guy, maybe in his 50's, was really into rpgs like Lufia and Final Fantasy. It was pretty rare at the time, but we thought it was pretty awesome, and made us a bit more hopeful for the future.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »

My boyfriend plays mainstream titles.  D:

At least he plays.  But we have like no games in common we like besides mutual encouragement of the shit we individually like.  I think I get flustered when someone I talk to knows about titles I played, or when some idiot is all "man I loved FF6", then I blush and say "Soo... um...h-hi...teee heee!" or whatevs. 

But thanks Grim.  Makes me happy to know no one gives up on it.  I know my dad will forever frown about it... but hey.

(I'm too tired and miserable to type proper, sorry).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:29:33 PM by Dice » Logged

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

I usually play for 45 minutes to an hour depending on the game. I play console titles a little longer since they're more of an investment than a handheld title. I think the longest I've gone recently was when I played Demon Soul's. Probably close to 10 or 12 hours.

"Oh, a hunter..."
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »

I suppose the question is implying that people play rpgs differently than other games? I wonder if it's ever really been that way at all. I'm sure COD or Halo nuts will play for hours on end as well. Or even just someone playing Uncharted.

True story, I beat MW and MW2 in one day. Took about 10-12 hours with a break for dinner in between.

It's true that it depends on the game type for me. Late at night action games are much easier for me to play, the adrenaline keeps me from getting tired. RPGs, even ones like Mass Effect, have a lot more slow moments and more chances for sleepiness to kick in.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
xXMelancholiaXx

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »

I remember back when I first got Persona 4 for Christmas. I played it everyday all day during Christmas break until I eventually beat it sometime in January close to the end of Christmas break. Unfortunately I got the bad ending...

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »

Most ill play for around 4, but if i really like a game I can play it for up to 12 (counting breaks)

Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 04:45:28 PM »

When I was younger I used to marathon it... multi-hour play sessions are a thing of the past now... Usually I get in an hour before work and and hour after, each day.... I have to be disciplined about it because I sort of make my own schedule as I am an artist by trade.... Let me tell you the wallet got a little lighter right around thanksgiving when I started Xenoblade (lol)

Lately though I think I'm working and playing a little too much... that is, I need to alot room for sleep apparently.... right this very moment I am rousing myself after having fallen asleep, sitting up, attempting to put in my hour before work on Star Ocean First Departure.... This has been happening to me daily now since around christmas and is getting very aggrivating....

I usually only sleep from about 7 am til 11am but it appears my body is finally telling me that schedule is not sufficient any longer....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 06:55:26 PM »

I started Xenoblade back in November, and I'm still playing it... 95 hours in now. Sure, there was Skyward Sword somewhere in there, but that was such a short game, I bearily even remember it now.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 07:55:25 PM »

20-30 minutes? I can't think of ANY game I can play more than an hour without getting bored.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 07:57:31 PM »

20-30 minutes? I can't think of ANY game I can play more than an hour without getting bored.

Maybe because the games you DO play for longer you don't even notice an hour goes by?

While Xenoblade hasn't been "play ungodly amounts while experimenting with other characters" like Dark Souls was, I'd be playing, go "Oh yeah I need to save", then see an hour's passed and I didn't even realize it had been that long.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »

Maybe because the games you DO play for longer you don't even notice an hour goes by?

I don't have the free time to play any games for longer than an hour.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 01:13:09 AM »

I love the classic "i'm too busy for games" or "i can only play games for 30 mins" shit on a board dedicated to videogames.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 03:01:46 AM »

I would play games but I'm too busy posting on RPGFan.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 03:14:26 AM »

I post here when I'm at school. 
WHEN SHOULD I PLAY GAMES THEN, HUH YODA??? >=(

RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: