Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 06:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331782 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  How long do you play an RPG for in one sitting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: How long do you play an RPG for in one sitting  (Read 3622 times)
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2012, 08:23:36 AM »

It depends, but usually 2 hours. I think that's why I have been having trouble playing RPGs lately: I don't have 2 hours to make for them lately. If we're going to talk extremes, when I was a kid I had some huge marathons, but I can't remember how long. I do remember playing FFXII 14 hours, then 16 hours, and then 13 hours, the first three days I had it.
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »

Usually 2-3 hours at most. But there's the occasional marathon session, I've done 6+ hours in one night many times.
When school's in session I'm more likely to binge game, because when I realize I have free time to play I'll try to take full advantage.
Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 10:36:55 PM »

Usually in hour chunks.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2012, 08:17:30 PM »

Yeah, I usually play before going to bed, and many times, I just can't last more than an hour or less. It's interesting, though, because there are sections of games that are very hazzy for me because I was practically half-asleep when I played them. Most recently, in Xenoblade, the entire "Mechonis Field" section, up until the boss battle. Later I came back to it to get some items and it was a very surreal experience, since my memory of it was so dream-like.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 03:44:29 AM »

i work at a bicycle shop as a mechanic. i can only do a couple hours a night during work season cause i'm just tired at the end of the day. my favorite part of my job is during the winter people don't buy bikes or get them fixed, so i get laid off and collect unemployment. it gives me time to play like it's a full time job. it's like i'm a kid with winter vacation but i'm 34 on the 18th.

@klyde i wish i had the focus to allocate time for art. i'd love to be a tattoo artist or freelance artist but it's hard to muster the discipline for me. i have my own timetable where i'll sorta binge and purge where i work really hard at something then i'll just stop and it's hard to get back into the rhythm. i think i'm too A.D.D.   
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 06:42:41 AM »

Really it depends. I have a full-time job, I spend a bit more then an hour each day walking back and forth to work, a kid and a girlfriend that thinks if I don't go to bed with her when she goes to sleep at 9:30 it means I hate her so my video game times suffers greatly. Two years ago, especially for WoW, I could play more then 12 hours a day, sometimes without a break because I'm retarded like that. Typically when I get game time its in hour or two spurts, sometimes I can get four or five hours during a day off depending on a lot of factors. If I have 20-30 minutes of nothing to do I'll throw on Cave Story or something that it enjoyable for just moving forward a couple of screens.

RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 11:22:23 AM »

I'm only good for about 2 hours at a time. After that, my interest starts to wane and I need to get into something else. Usually something involving one of my guitars. I used to be able to go a lot longer, but games just don't hold my interest like they used to.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 12:10:15 PM »

8-12 hours. its one of the reasons i hate short games.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »

@klyde i wish i had the focus to allocate time for art. i'd love to be a tattoo artist or freelance artist but it's hard to muster the discipline for me. i have my own timetable where i'll sorta binge and purge where i work really hard at something then i'll just stop and it's hard to get back into the rhythm. i think i'm too A.D.D.   

That is the bitter sweet nature of art my friend..... By that I mean, so long as you work at it, you get there... its a garuntee.... There is no limit, or roof to art and what you can do with it thus success is a direct result of the time and consistent effort you pour in (the sweet side).... That usually means, to make a living at it however, you have to pour in way more time and embark on way more projects than you'd care to. It can really swing from "pleasure and passion" to "work" in an instant for me (the bitter side)...

For me it just came as a naturally accepted fact of life that you HAD to be good at visual art.... My family is full of artists and while other kids hunted and fished with their fathers and whatnot, mine instilled in me the necessity to draw my little ass off since pre-k.... I remember thinking it odd when I finally began socialization in grade school that other kids didn't draw every day.... I remember thinking it was like eating or sleeping to some degree.... just something everyone did whether they really liked it or not-LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »

Depends how much time I have to spare.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Indinera
Game Designer

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2012, 03:26:41 AM »

When I was (much) younger, on the old Phantasy Star's or a game like Daggerfall, I could (almost) play like 20 hours in a row, with just "functional" interruptions lol From 10AM to 6AM for instance. I always thought Phantasy Star 2-3-4 were super-addictive game, always leaving you with the feeling that you want to know more, what will be the next dungeon or character...

Aldorlea Games (Laxius Force, Millennium, Asguaard, Dreamscape, 3 Stars of Destiny and more!) - http://www.aldorlea.com
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »

It really depends on how much I like the game but usually it's around 2-3 hours.  Also, if it's brand new and I'm liking it, I could sit there for a good 4-5 hours. This is all time permitting of course.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:10:24 PM by Esper_Crusader » Logged

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »

Really it depends. I have a full-time job, I spend a bit more then an hour each day walking back and forth to work, a kid and a girlfriend that thinks if I don't go to bed with her when she goes to sleep at 9:30 it means I hate her so my video game times suffers greatly. Two years ago, especially for WoW, I could play more then 12 hours a day, sometimes without a break because I'm retarded like that. Typically when I get game time its in hour or two spurts, sometimes I can get four or five hours during a day off depending on a lot of factors. If I have 20-30 minutes of nothing to do I'll throw on Cave Story or something that it enjoyable for just moving forward a couple of screens.
Wow. Sounds like the GF has some self-esteem/self-worth issues. My wife goes to bed around 9:30 most nights and she doesn't want me to come to bed at the same time as her(outside of, you know, "fun" times). This is fine with me, as this is when I get most of my gaming time in. We're a good match this way, and a lot of other ways. I can't imagine a cooler wife.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
DarkCecil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »

If its a game thats UNDER 8/10 in quality to me, I can stomach 90 minutes to 2 hours average.

Anything greater than that and I like to play double that amount.  Or if its a Diablo 2 run its all day.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »

I usually don't go past 1:30 - 2 :00 hours, even if I have nothing better to do. I usually just get tired and end up not enjoying it as much.
If the game is in a really good moment I can stretch it to 3 hours. Rarely I go beyond this point, the exceptions are games which I find to be amazing or at least have a mechanic to keep me hooked and loose track of time.

Example: Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy Tactics, SW: Knights of the Old Republic, Fallout 3, Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect 2, Stella Deus, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 1 & 2, Valkyrie Profile 2.
Noticeable is the amount of SRPGs, like I said, not all of those I think are amazing, but at least have a mechanic that kept me hooked for hours on end.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: