Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 07:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Knights in the Nightmare
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Knights in the Nightmare  (Read 2558 times)
Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:10:20 PM »

Hi everyone.  I'm planning on buying Knights in the Nightmare.  I've seen both copies (PSP and DS) at a local videogame store for the exact same price.  I've read some reviews and I can't decide which version to buy.  I really don't care for the bonus scenario of the PSP version.  I just want the version with the best gameplay between the two.  Help me choose.  Thanks. 
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »

I only have it on PSP, and getting through menus takes a bit long without a stylus.
So probably DS, though for me, having a blank bottom screen and looking between each screen would be really annoying.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:53:49 PM »

I haven't played the PSP version, so I can only recommend the DS version.

What people say about the PSP version is that the controls are better, better graphics, but slower load times. The DS version would have more precise controls since you're using a stylus, but your hand can get in the way of what's on the screen. I never had that problem, however. I would say get the PSP version, even though I want to recommend the DS version because I'm a little biased since that's how I first fell in love with the game.

I've been debating picking up the PSP version for quite some time now.

"Oh, a hunter..."
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »

I own both!

The PSP version is technically superior, and has some minor extra features. HOWEVER, frankly I found the DS version way more fun because of the touch controls. So I'd vote for DS.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »

God I want to finish Star Ocean First Departure to get to this title.... Must be disciplined though....

I say go for the PSP since you can hook it up to your TV and forget that all these lovely handheld RPG's are forever stuck to the small-screen format... and treasure it since it looks like its gonna be the last handheld that can be hooked up to the television (at least for now...).....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »

Thanks guys, seems to me that both version are very good and that I can't go wrong with any version.  But I think I will get the PSP version since I'm not a big fan of the stylus.   
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:00:11 PM »

Oh, you can go wrong.  I tried to play it and couldn't stand to get far enough in to write an honest review.  That is, it might not be to your taste.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 06:39:37 PM »

Oh, you can go wrong.  I tried to play it and couldn't stand to get far enough in to write an honest review.  That is, it might not be to your taste.

It's definitely a love it or hate it game as you can see by the reviews from different sites. I knew I was going to like it before I bought it after watching all the videos. I tend to like quirky games with weird systems.

Strange that the Amazon reviews have the DS game at a 4 1/2 based on 21 reviews, but the PSP version has 3 stars based on 11.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:42:26 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 06:43:36 PM »

Pretty much all Sting games are love or hate.

Federax

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »

I've played Riviera and Yggdra Union on the GBA and thought they were good games, but nothing to write home about.  As for my personal preferences, I always prefer a great story over gameplay, so yeah, maybe it won't be my cup of tea.  Nonetheless, I want to try this game because it seems so unique.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »

I tend to like quirky games, but Knights in the Nightmare was too much for me.  So much of the system seems so...arbitrary.  Not just the combat itself (though that has plenty of arbitrary rules too), but all the between battle leveling up and stuff.  I tried but I just couldn't get into it.

I loved Yggdra Union, though.  I actually got Blaze Union too (imported, naturally) but haven't had time to play it...

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 12:26:54 AM »

The most difficult part of the battle system for me was trying to activate effects of certain weapons. For instance, X weapon will allow 2X ice Damage on the field if you miraculously land exactly 11 hits in battle, but no more or else the effect will vanish. This required a lot of planning in advance of which weapons you bring into a battle, as well as some simple math before hand of knowing which weapon deals x number hits and how many times you need to attack to activate the effect.

I've seen some pretty impressive boss battles online utilizing these effects, but it's a lot of work especially while you're trying to dodge attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFO-Jn9JZ00&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Here's one. Obviously a spoiler for people who haven't played the game.

"Oh, a hunter..."
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 01:11:03 PM »

The boss fights are the best parts of the game.  This is one of those games that I think would actually be better if it was shorter.  The regular battles aren't that varied, especially later on.  By then you've encountered all the enemy types (there aren't that many) and you're just fighting them to clear the map and get exp/items.  Feels almost like filler compared to the exciting boss battles. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:04:26 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 03:05:21 PM »

The PSP version is $20 on Amazon as opposed to the DS version which is $45.

I've been thinking about picking this up, I guess I'll go for the PSP version.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 09:47:49 PM »

This was a game I tried to like but the mechanics are so complicated I just couldn't grasp it.
I love SRPGs so I feel bad for not giving it more chances but oh boy they couldn't have made it any less complicated...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: