Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 03:14:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319648 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I'd like some recommendation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: I'd like some recommendation  (Read 3447 times)
Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 06:16:51 PM »

Lots of great recommendations here, but I've yet to see anyone throw out Final Fantasy Tactics. One of my fave games of all time, a great title wherever you play it. Hit it up on the PSOne, the PS Network, the PSP War of the Lions version, or the iOS one. It's a stellar strategy-RPG. Also in that vein, you can pick up the original Front Mission on the DS, and Front Mission 3 on the PSOne, and finally Front Mission 4 on the PS2 - the Front Mission series is a great giant fighting robots strategy RPG series that has always had solid combat, and some pretty decent stories. I've yet to try Front Mission Evolved on the 360, but I've not heard great feedback. If for some reason you DO decide to grab a Wii, get Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen on the virtual console. It's a great SNES classic, so is Secret of Mana.

Anyways, that's my piece on JRPG classics. Hope you get a chance to try them!

Just Greg, thanks.
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »

I have Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 on the DS and I enjoy it a lot, my brother got the original on the PS1 so I might give it a try someday. Ive never seen any game of the Front Mission series though, i'll take a lot at this one thanks.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »

Zik, I'm concerned that you seem to have a lot of criteria on HOW you get games, above and beyond what you like/dislike. If you lock out all digital downloads, then you're soon going to find yourself with a lot fewer options. Also, digital downloads are usually quite a bit cheaper.

I'm kinda surprised about you disliking some games for being too easy, yet loving Tales of Symphonia, which is probably the easiest game on your list. I take it that you don't mind easy games if they have action elements? I don't really know about those things, I like easy games. But yeah, if you want HARD games, the Shin Migami games are quite challenging, I gave up on two of them.

Skies of Arcadia is an AMAZING game, IMO, but something tells me you won't go for it, it's very easy. It's all about exploration and expansive travel, which is my central love, and I just love it's style, but it deffinitely isn't challenging.

Ahhhh, one game you might really like, which is pretty challenging, but similarly expansive is Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2. Wonderful characters, great voice acting and dialog, a huge expansive world, very strategic battles, and very long.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »

Try to play Tactics Ogre at some point, particularly since it inspired FFT.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »

Zik, I'm concerned that you seem to have a lot of criteria on HOW you get games, above and beyond what you like/dislike. If you lock out all digital downloads, then you're soon going to find yourself with a lot fewer options. Also, digital downloads are usually quite a bit cheaper.

I'm kinda surprised about you disliking some games for being too easy, yet loving Tales of Symphonia, which is probably the easiest game on your list. I take it that you don't mind easy games if they have action elements? I don't really know about those things, I like easy games. But yeah, if you want HARD games, the Shin Migami games are quite challenging, I gave up on two of them.

Skies of Arcadia is an AMAZING game, IMO, but something tells me you won't go for it, it's very easy. It's all about exploration and expansive travel, which is my central love, and I just love it's style, but it deffinitely isn't challenging.

Ahhhh, one game you might really like, which is pretty challenging, but similarly expansive is Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2. Wonderful characters, great voice acting and dialog, a huge expansive world, very strategic battles, and very long.

If you lock out all digital downloads : If you look at the console I currently have, none of these except the X360 have digital download. So its not only that I dislike it, but mainly because its not an option. To be honest when I made this thread I was mainly looking for DS suggestion since its pretty hard nowadays to find game on the NGC and PS1. Ive done pretty much every RPGs in which im interested in the X360. I still know a few places that sells used PS1/NGC games so I put them on my list anyway.

I'm kinda surprised about you disliking some games for being too easy, yet loving Tales of Symphonia : Ive never said that I dislike these game because they were too easy, I loved Golden Sun and Im really into Chrono Trigger and FFTA2 even if they are easy, its just that I enjoy challenging games more than easy games.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:18:15 PM by Zik » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 11:43:07 PM »

Oblivion : 150 hours of game time, do I need to say more?

150 hours you could've been spending more productively.

You'll probably hate everything I recommend but I don't really care because I don't really care.

Standard freeware recs:

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/homepage/homepage.html
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/ (Original soundtrack was great. 3DO soundtrack was sort of shit. Configure accordingly. Also recommend installing a no-timelimit patch)
http://thespiritengine.com/
http://www.scottgames.com/ <- Iffermoon. I think that black guitar player that writes for this site liked it, so you know it's good.

I'm just going to lob some gog.com links at you. I hope this is okay. I'm not advertising i'm just trying to stop him from running out to some warez site and supporting Simbionese terrorists with warez money.

Hard + Good Story + Has music:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/betrayal_at_krondor
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/gothic_2_gold_edition

Hard:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_temple_of_elemental_evil

Hard + Music; story questionable:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition (4-6 have music at least)

Awesome music + awesome story; not really hard:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_7_complete
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment

Play ultima 6 goddammit I will cut you:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_4_5_6

STuff that's on steam I'm not linking to because it's obnoxious to do so, but basically:

Deus Ex and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines are REALLY good if you've never played them. If music is a concern go with Deus Ex though because its soundtrack was by Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos who are both amazing.

Actually you'd probably also like AGe of Wonders. More of a strategy game with a lot of RPG elements, not particularly HARD IIRC, but it's not really easy, turn-based tactical combat, and again, Brandon and van den Bos doing the music

Space Rangers 2 - Reboot is sort of an RPG I guess also I like the music, your mileage may very. The story is very Russian. The everything is very Russian.

You might also like Albion if you could find it. It's basically a JRPG made by germany in the 90s. the movie Avatar ripped it off completely although this was probably unintentional. Has balance issues, but the story and music are good and it IS difficult and has strategy map combat.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 01:31:12 PM »

Some great DS games then....

Another vote for Radiant Historia. Its my favorite DS game hands down.

Devil Survivor is on the DS, it is one of the Shin Megami Tensei games. It kind of combines the turn based fighting of Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga with tactical RPG (so you move around on the battle field with several parties like a tactical game but when you interact with the enemy its like a turn based game). Devil Survivor 2 comes out soon too.

The World Ends With You is interesting and really uses the touch screen well.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - less story based and a lot more dungeon crawling than Devil Survivor.

Etrian Oddessey III is a fun dungeon crawler as well. Really makes you feel a sense of accomplishment as you slowly tackle and map (on the touch screen!) the areas.
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »

I bought Radiant Historia earlier today, thanks again for the recommendation guys! I won't be able to tell you if I like it any time soon though cause Ive gotta finish Chrono Trigger first then ill be on FFXIII-2.

As for The World Ends With You and any other games that involved the touch screen a lot, I forgot to tell you that I dislike this. I guess im too oldschool for any of this motion/touch thing (everything wii/kinnect/move/touchscreen related is really not my thing)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »

I guess im too oldschool

How old even are you.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »

I guess im too oldschool

How old even are you.

You would know it if you had read the first line of my first post. Im 20, but I don't understand your point? A 15 years old kid could be consider "old school" if he likes old schools games and dislike the new motion era..

Anyway, back on topic please.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:01:53 PM by Zik » Logged
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 09:03:14 PM »

I guess im too oldschool

How old even are you.

You would know it if you had read the first line of my first post. Im 20, but I don't understand your point? A 15 years old kid could be consider "old school" if he likes old schools games and dislike the new motion era..

Anyway, back on topic please.

It's more the fact that the oldest system you have is a PS1, your game library is pretty small, and nothing you've listed is even remotely old school.

That and touchscreen gaming isn't really new. Palm Pilots are old as fuck. And DS games mostly use the touchscreen as a sort of mouse analog anyway.

Capacitive-touchscreens ARE newer devices, especially ones without any other sort of input besides touch, and do introduce a lot of new options and challenges that can greatly affect how games are played. This doesn't apply to the DS.

That and the period of time preceding the adoption of touch and waggle into the gaming scene still isn't oldschool.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »

Honestly I don't really think we're in a true era of motion anyway, and possibly not touch either. Quite a few games even on Wii make it purely optional or not that big of a deal (see Xenoblade and Monster Hunter Tri, both playable on Classic Controller Pro and the former not really even using motion control or anything), and Kinect seems too hands off to be anything more than a curiosity for core games. And touch, well, I guess to a degree that's going to be sticking around for good on handhelds, but I'm not sure we're in for PURELY touch screens either given the 3DS did find its legs despite some people crying about how dedicated handhelds are doomed. If the Vita can take off too then at worst a few games will have dumb gimmicks and UIs will be touch dependent while being dumb and ignoring traditional input and that's an area where touch controls can be frequently preferred anyway.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »

I actually find iPads fairly unpleasamt to use BTW

o/` I do not dream o/`

Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »

I guess im too oldschool

How old even are you.

[...]

It's more the fact that the oldest system you have is a PS1, your game library is pretty small, and nothing you've listed is even remotely old school.

[....]

That and the period of time preceding the adoption of touch and waggle into the gaming scene still isn't oldschool.

Even if the PS1 is my oldest console, I play games of the kind of FFIV which we're made in 1991, thats 20 years ago but anyway you got the point im sure stop caring about little details please. I only wanted recommendation of RPGs that suit my taste and I got some great ideas so thats it!

By the way, I guess thats also because you didnt read the thread, but how can a collection of more than 50 games can be small? Thats about 2,500$ of videogames, without even counting the others 50 or so that I sold..
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:58:18 PM by Zik » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 08:34:05 PM »

I recommend purposefully giving a few more things a chance that you innitially have a stigma against.

I used to think I hated all wRPGs, then Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 came along and blew my mind, now some of my favorite games are wRPGs. Seriously, I've found it very refreshing to break down barriers and learn to like and become comfortable with things I innitially dislike. Most dislikes of entire groups of things come from unfamilliarity. Become comfortable with something really well before you write it off completely. For instance, I currently don't like sRPGs, because I really haven't spent much time with them. The few times I've tried, I found them strange and confusing. Someday I do hope to pick up a Fire Emblem or FFT and give it a whirl, though. Similar to yourself and touch gaming. Every game uses touch VERY DIFFERENTLY. The World Ends With You, especially, uses touch in ways completely different from any other game I've played. It takes some getting used to, but in the end, I found it to be a very enjoyable experience.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: