Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332816 Posts in 13637 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I'd like some recommendation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: I'd like some recommendation  (Read 4160 times)
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2012, 01:18:39 PM »

Hello! I'm new here, so i'll make a quick presentation before asking my question. Im a man, 20, live in Canada and obviously like RPGs a lot!

Recently, I decided to get back into RPGs (especially old school JRPGs) because I find newer games too short and too easy, thus making them boring. So basically id just like some new ideas and suggestion from this commnuity.

To give you an idea of what I like and to make sure you dont suggest me a game ive already done, ill list every rpg that ive done so far on every console and a quick review on it. (well, ill probably forget some but you get the point). I currently own a PS1, DS XL, Gamecube and Xbox 360.

PS1 :

FF7
FF8
FF9
Wild Arms 2
Chrono Cross

When I had this console, I was too young to fully understand RPGs so I played these one but never finished them, they are all on my "To Do" list

DS :

FFIII
FFIV : I loved this remake from start to finish! I like challenging game and that one was something toward the end!
Golden Sun 3 : I liked every game of this series, although a bit too easy.
Chrono Trigger : Im currently on that one, pretty good so far although a bit too easy
FFTA 2 : Im on hard mode and still too easy, but only 8hours in so maybe thats why.

To do : Dragon Quest IX

Game Cube :

Tales Of Symphonia : Loved it! The dialogue were funny and the combat were addicting.
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles : That game was soo bad honestly..

X360

Lost Odyssey : One of my favorite RPGs on this console, loved the story and old school battle system
Tales of Vesperia : Not as good as ToS but still a great game
Enchanted Arms : Not bad, but not so good either. I liked the strategic battle system but the frequency of combat was way too high
Oblivion : 150 hours of game time, do I need to say more?
Skyrim : 80 hours in so far
FF XIII : I liked the story, graphics were awesome, but I wasnt a fan of the battle system. Id say a decent game.
Dungeon Siege III : Cool action-rpg but way too short (12 hours to finish a "rpg" wtf?)
Dragon Age : I loved the first one but the sequel was awful.
Fallout 3 & NV
Star Ocean TLH : Horrible
Infinite Undiscovery : Horrible
Eternal Sonata : I only played 4-5 hours and didnt really get into the game.
Mass Effect : Decent games, but I think a bit overrated.

TL;DR : I like challenging RPGs, awesome soundtrack is a must, need at least a decent story, strategic turn-based combat system or fluid action real time is ok. Graphics isnt a must, if the art design is great even on a 16bit technology (like Chrono Trigger) I dont mind.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:50:35 PM by Zik » Logged
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »

A few games I would recommend would be

PS1
FF6
Star Ocean 2 (Better than TLH but I do not know the reason you disliked it)
Suikoden 1 and 2

DS
Radiant Historia (Great game with a great soundtrack)
The World Ends With You (Quite a unique game. You may want to look up the gameplay first)
SMT: Devil Survivor (Tactics mixed with turn based battle)
Etraian Odyssey (Not sure how you feel about dungeon crawlers)

neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:45:26 PM »

If you want something challenging I would say Shin Megami Tensei series. One game in particular is Nocturne from that series.

The thing about SMT is that you dont need to play any of the games prior to start any of the titles, except for the sequel of Digital Devil Saga because its basically disc 2 or Devil Summoner 2.

All of the PS2 titles of the SMT are outstanding. Here is a rundown of each of the titles

SMT: Nocturne - Very traditional battle system with some flair. The unique part of this battle system is that you have to recruit demons to create your party and each demon has their own individual skills that you will need to make strategies for difficult bosses and areas of the game. The main character also gets an item called a magatama which is pretty much a skill bug. You ingest it and level it up to acquire your skills but you have to select carefully because your character can only hold like 8 skills I think.

The story is ok, but effective. The plot is that the world is destroyed and you are going through the events of its resurrection. Theres a lot more but you'll see.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga I & II - Also very traditional turn based gameplay. The uniqueness is that you can turn into a demon and your party has their own individual attributes like fire user, ice user, healer. The strategy becomes choosing your party later in the game and an inevitable 10 hour dungeon at the end. Its brutal but fun.

The story is amazing, but can be drab at times but if you pull through its worth it. The twist at the end of the first game will blow you away.

SMT: Devil Summoner I & II - think pokemon but full action fight sequences. You control a character with a sword and magic, while your summoned demon is taking out your opponents. The story and music is really fun and unique. Whats really cool about the graphics of this game is that they use pre rendered back grounds like they used to do for the old PSone games. It looks amazing and it gives you that nostalgia of past games.
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.

I dislike Star Ocean TLH mainly because I could not get into the story and the combat system was awful, imo. Ill look into the other games you suggested me.

Edit :

neogalahad : its the first time I heard of this series, it looks interesting, thanks!

Admin Edit: Removed piracy line.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:06:25 PM by KeeperX » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »

You'll should definitely get a PS2 and maybe a PSP:
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews-ps2.html
http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews-psp.html
and this since it is long, and has good music/story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvFNwLxu7XI

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »

As for FFVI, I played it on an GBA emulator and liked it!

Don't pirate!  FF6 is available through plenty of legal channels.  No emulator/ROM/Piracy speak.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »

As for FFVI, I played it on an GBA emulator and liked it!

Don't pirate!  FF6 is available through plenty of legal channels.  No emulator/ROM/Piracy speak.

Oh sorry, I didnt know about this rule. Also don't worry, I have over 50+ games on my collection, FFVI is the only game I played on an emulator because I was unable to find it.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:25:15 PM »

Hey! Someone of my same age. Welcome! :)

If you have access to a PS3 try Demon's Souls if you haven't already. Is hard to get into it at first but is pretty challenging and has some nice moments.

and this since it is long, and has good music/story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvFNwLxu7XI

Ah Nier. Never got around to buy it, and I've never saw another copy of the game in stores after a few months it was released. Though, isn't the game depressing or something? I'm kinda tired of sad stories in games lately but if it is as great as you guys said it is since last year or so, then, I should give it a try. No?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 04:32:12 PM »

Oh sorry, I didnt know about this rule. Also don't worry, I have over 50+ games on my collection, FFVI is the only game I played on an emulator because I was unable to find it.

Maybe that was a few years back, but you have the VC and PSN now to get it (under Final Fantasy III on VC). VC's preferable, but if you can tolerate loads than PSN's acceptable.
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 04:35:50 PM »

Maybe that was a few years back, but you have the VC and PSN now to get it (under Final Fantasy III on VC). VC's preferable, but if you can tolerate loads than PSN's acceptable.

I don't own a PS3 and I don't know whats VC and yeah it was a few years back. I buy every game I can and never sell them, thanks anyway!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »

VC=Virtual Console, the retro games service for the Wii. Still, with Xenoblade coming to America now's not a bad time to get a Wii.
Zik

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »

So far Radiant Historia and Suikoden are the ones that really interest me, although I have no idea where I will be able to find PS1 games -_-
I don't think ill ever buy a Wii, plus I dont really like to buy digital games.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 05:00:38 PM »

Digital is going to be your best bet for PSone games, both because of ease of availability and cost.  Most games are $6 or $10 that are a part of the PSone classics program.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 05:06:18 PM »

A shame that Konami never released that Suikoden I&II Collection for the PSP over here. I would have bought it to give that series a chance, but yeah, getting at least the first one from PSN for $5.99 is not a bad deal.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »

On the topic of piracy, I'd recommend Skies of Arcadia (see what I did there?). While it doesn't sound like you have a Dreamcast, you can always try and find the Gamecube port, which was the version I played through and loved. It's incredibly addictive, and has incredibly exciting moments. I also love how positive the plot is, and the ship battles. And yes. It has a wicked soundtrack. I don't know how rare and expensive the game is over in Canada, but if you do find it, I would highly recommend it!

I'd also give Grandia a go. It's easily available on PSN these days for about $10. The art in that game is simply beautiful.

Oh, and I second Star Ocean 2. Forget The Last Hope. Seriously.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: