Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 05:55:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338203 Posts in 13845 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  I'd like some recommendation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: I'd like some recommendation  (Read 4480 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 01:03:12 AM »

I'm also not sure the FPS genre's really improving. Streamlining, as you said, sure, but how much of that is improvement?

It's why I said FPSes probably peaked in the late 90s and didn't say the streamlining was necessarily GOOD. Sometimes you need streamlining, but in the case of FPS it seems to be avoiding proper solutions to problems (getting lost? Have a mini-map and a larger map you can call up whenever you want!) or following some grand cinematic ambition where you're lucky if it's ever any good.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 12:15:11 AM »

I'm also not sure the FPS genre's really improving. Streamlining, as you said, sure, but how much of that is improvement?

It's why I said FPSes probably peaked in the late 90s and didn't say the streamlining was necessarily GOOD. Sometimes you need streamlining, but in the case of FPS it seems to be avoiding proper solutions to problems (getting lost? Have a mini-map and a larger map you can call up whenever you want!) or following some grand cinematic ambition where you're lucky if it's ever any good.

The funny thing is, most FPSes have had maps since doom. Minimaps, no, but tab and m were sort of... standard keys for bringing up a complete map of a level.

This actually got to be less of an issue as graphics got better because the increased visual variety meant you had more substantial landmarks to work from and maps were less of a necessity anyway.

Romero's later dalliances with ill-advised-something-or-others aside, iD always had an incredible knack for avoiding bullshit and anticipating hardware and interface-related hindrances and neatly avoiding them. And a talent for not pushing boundaries past the breaking point, for that matter. Doom, all things considered, was an immensely streamlined game in the sense that it didn't force you to do stuff that would've been unnatural or awkward within the boundaries of the hardware with which they were working, and some of the 'streamlining' that modern FPSes are doing is actually accomplishing the opposite effect.

Anyway, I guess Guardian Heroes got an XBLA port. IDK how it is, but the original one is a really good beat-em-up/RPG hybrid, so if you like Tales of... it should be in your league.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: