Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 12:04:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327956 Posts in 13430 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Endings in games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Endings in games  (Read 2687 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »

Lufia 2's ending was pretty good for a SNES title.  I actually played it before 1 because I knew it was a prequel but had no knowledge of the story.  I kept waiting for Maxim and Selan to pull a Lunar: SS and appear, but they never did.  Instead it showed their friends waiting for them to show up someday, thinking they were alive, but they weren't.  Made a young Akanbe tear up it did.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:30 PM »

Now, FF12-13 are really bad - evil RACE of spirit beings, none of which you can relate to. BORING! Vayne bearily counts, as he's practically possessed.

XII's problem was that Matsuno got kicked off the project.  I can guarantee things would have ended up differently had he remained on for the whole time.  You can actually almost physically see a line in the story where Matsuno was involved and where he wasn't.

XIII you're actually wrong about - XIII's lore is probably the best in the series, and the world has the most depth, but the way the game handled it is weak.  XIII actually is one of those games about "means and ends" and about how far you should go to meet them, namely, a few million human lives to save not only the world, but the multiverse (IE, land of death and life).  
Keep in mind in XIII's lore that you aren't actually "whole" and "complete" as a human until you receive your "Chaos" after you die.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:11:07 PM by Cyril » Logged
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »

I don't remember the ending of Fallout 3 all that well (I probably beat the game at 4am or some shiz) but I think I hated it. It was basically a slideshow of your choices with a radioactive green over it. So for a gameplay time + enjoyment of overall game / ending quality I think F3 was weak.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

Lufia 2's ending was pretty good for a SNES title.  I actually played it before 1 because I knew it was a prequel but had no knowledge of the story.  I kept waiting for Maxim and Selan to pull a Lunar: SS and appear, but they never did.  Instead it showed their friends waiting for them to show up someday, thinking they were alive, but they weren't.  Made a young Akanbe tear up it did.

holy shit

are you me
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 09:18:03 AM »

Now, FF12-13 are really bad - evil RACE of spirit beings, none of which you can relate to. BORING! Vayne bearily counts, as he's practically possessed.

XII's problem was that Matsuno got kicked off the project.  I can guarantee things would have ended up differently had he remained on for the whole time.  You can actually almost physically see a line in the story where Matsuno was involved and where he wasn't.

Agreed. Totally agreed.

XIII ... I'm on the fence about. I'll make a full judgment after playing FFXIII-2.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »

Professor Layton and the Lost Future had a great ending even if it was depressing as hell. Everything that possibly could went wrong for Layton at the end.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »

(and also added the most pitiful true last boss I've ever seen - seriously, auto-life on everyone always? come on man...)

I one shot him with Auron. Though, my grindfest on cactuar island may have had something to do with it.
I did this with Yuna. It was kind of amusing to see her physically beat down a boss with her staff.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »

Lufia 1's was also pretty good in a sobering sort of way. Sure you get around the whole "Your girlfriend is a Sinistral resurrecting the other Sinistrals" problem via memory wipe, but unfortunately that also included your girlfriend's memories as well and the ending is spent with the MC accepting that both are now gone and he has to start all over with this essentially new girl.

And speaking of SuperNES games with awesome endings. Secret of Mana. Nothing like concluding your adventure atop a snowy mountain peak realizing that one of your party members is now essentially a force ghost and everybody you spent the entire game either trying to rescue or find are now dead.

Additionally I like LttP's and Chrono Trigger's endings, though mostly for the music.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 05:19:21 PM »

Suiko V's normal ending made me die a little inside.

I was not expecting to get all the characters in V, so I decided to see the what the ending was for a Complete run and was met with a happy ending. But because i knew that the ending for V was happy because a complete run...well then I didn't want to come to a tragic end. I rather keep my tragedies in my western lit readings.

Another game that had the worst plot twist of all time was Eternal Sonata (Those who play it know what I'm talking about).
Code:
Honestly, Chopin as the final boss? He's perhaps the biggest ninny I've ever witnessed in video games, aside from Mike Dawson from Dark Seed II. I would have given Tri-crescendo $1k for them to make it Franz Liszt, or even better George Sand.
The credits were....

And speaking of ninnies (in case you read the spoilers), Mike Dawson from Dark Seed II. Great ending, or Greatest?
Code:
Jack is officially my favorite character in video games, PERIOD.

----------------------------

But let's end on a positive note...

I liked Fragile's ending....anyone else like it?

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »

I find they're only ruined when they're supposed to be multigame sagas.

They either end on a forced cliffhanger (ala the first Soul Reaver) or end on a planned cliffhanger and never get followed up on (ala Advent Rising and the original Xenogears saga).

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »

Advent Rising's ending was just irritating. I got the PC version a few months ago without knowing anything other than Orson Scott Card's involvement, I really enjoyed it and I was furious when I found out about the truncated trilogy.

Xenosaga Episode III's ending bugged me, but they did the best they could, all things considered.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 12:04:33 AM »

The most recent ending that kind of ticked me off was Dark Souls. The entire game was great, but after defeating the boss all I got was my character bursting into flames and then roll credits. I felt cheated. I had no desire to play again to try for the true ending. In general, what I dislike about getting true endings is that there is never really any hint in the game that steers you towards getting the true ending. At least not that I've seen. If it wasn't for the FAQ, I wouldn't have gotten the true ending in P4 on my first playthru.

"Oh, a hunter..."
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 11:33:26 AM »

The most recent ending that kind of ticked me off was Dark Souls. The entire game was great, but after defeating the boss all I got was my character bursting into flames and then roll credits. I felt cheated. I had no desire to play again to try for the true ending

There is no 'true' ending. The only other ending to DS is
Code:
walking out the door and having dozens of Frampt clones give you a bow.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »

The most recent ending that kind of ticked me off was Dark Souls. The entire game was great, but after defeating the boss all I got was my character bursting into flames and then roll credits. I felt cheated. I had no desire to play again to try for the true ending

There is no 'true' ending. The only other ending to DS is
Code:
walking out the door and having dozens of Frampt clones give you a bow.

That's even worse. Good thing I didn't try for that one.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: