Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 04:10:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334826 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  DO you Get 100% in every Rpg?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: DO you Get 100% in every Rpg?  (Read 3872 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 01:09:10 AM »

I generally won't grind for drops or having to gain 20 levels for the token optional super boss. But I'm all about the exploring.
RPGMetalFan
Just a geek.

Game over, moonpie.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 05:16:51 AM »

Only thing I ever strive for 100% are things I really dig. Certain bands, authors, comics....and RPGs. Every single one of them? Holy fucking Christ on a cracker, NO! I just don't have that much time, and if you're going to convince me to invest the amount of time I need to get 100%, you had better be pretty goddamned special.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »

I wish games would stop being more than 20 hours long.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

Most I do anymore these days is go for an ultimate weapon if I'm REALLY enjoying the game.  Otherwise no.  Too much of a backlog and games I could be playing instead.

What? Why would you want games to stop being more than 20 hours long? I can understand for shooter/action games, but imo a RPG that takes less than 30 hours is a bad thing.. Im all for 50+ hours epic RPGs

Well, Eusis kind of hit the nail on the head with how I feel.  Plus it's more of a personal issue because I have a backlog that I feel like I'll never finish.  That's probably for the best considering the rpg lineup these days.  I really don't want them to be 20 hours, but I'd certainly feel like I accomplished more =p

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MereMare

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 10:06:50 AM »

Games like Rune Factory, I try to (at least I'm about halfway there in RF3).

OBJECTION!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »

I used to 100% every game... but then at one point I just couldn't anymore.
I guess I just hit a point where I've grinded so much I can't do it anymore. I have several games I keep near just so maybe I'll grind and do some boss humiliation... but I haven't touched those in a long time.
I think I blame WoW for over-saturating me with grind.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »

To be honest I don't remember getting 100% in any RPG. I've been playing since I started Phantasy Star II in 92, but even when I fall in love with a game I'm more likely to replay it after a year or two than go for 100%. Maybe it's because the games I really started with didn't have 100%. Did I miss a chest in PSII? Likely. But there wasn't a menu screen showing percentages to make me go nuts over it. I think it was the 3rd or 4th time I played Shining Force that I realized you can get Arthur to join.

I love the Disgaea series... but even there I never got everything. Got all the maps, ground thousands of levels and reincarnations.... got bored with it before UB4. Depending on the game the best part of most RPGs for me is either the story/characters (Lunar, Grandia, DQ, FF) or getting my arse handed to me by someone and coming back afew levels later and triumphantly passing out stab wounds (Disgaea, Gothic, Risen). Being able to explore and find hidden places and new weapons is always a big plus, but I've never seen any reason to insist on finding *all* the items, or having one of everything in inventory.

I'm old now, and married as of last April. Between work and a wife I'm grateful to get to finish a game every now and then.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:51:15 AM by zMKnightz » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 01:06:42 PM »

Other reasons why I don't get 100% in RPGs.

Because sometimes bugs happen and you don't want to get to level 99 as your stats lower at that point.
Because sometimes the game makes it impossible to 100% because the game makes you choose either what you collect or who to raise.
Because sometimes the game makes it impossible to 100% because the game failed to implement something.
Because sometimes the quest is asinine and stupid and only exists to troll 100%ers.
Because sometimes the game fully expected you to follow guides to the letter but the only one you have is some shitty GameFAQ that didn't even get a token effort.
Because sometimes the game takes far too long to begin with nevermind going for 100%.
Because sometimes going for game breaking takes more time than it would by beating it legitly.
Because sometimes the developers are assholes and decided to make a Japan only International version with stuff not seen in the original.
Because sometimes the same thing as above but in overpriced DLC or preorders that amount to fancy mount armor or some other cosmetic shit.
Because sometimes the game is too awful to play let alone 100%.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »

The only time I ever even tried was in Kingdom Hearts. I got close but then got tired of grinding and getting my butt kicked by Sepiroth.=P There isn't a single other game I'd want to put myself through that kind of torture for.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 05:39:20 PM »

On this note, I'm so stuck on whether I should move forward with Xenoblade or not.... so many more hours of quests, but I'm really just feeling moving on at this point.... I completed a ton of stuff but sort of slacked a bit on the reconstruction side-quest..... Don't know what to do.... 86 hours in.... compulsively trying to complete things.... all I want is STORY..... ohhhh the madness of it all......

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 11:14:38 PM »

I usually dont, but I did for Mass Effect. It didnt take that much but I consider the acheivements in that game to be 100%. Other than that the only thing to collect is the colossus armors.
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 12:16:33 AM »

I used to do the 100% completion thing, but my life has become chock full of commitments, i.e. a full-time job, so I don't anymore, unless doing so means some extra story.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:01 AM »

I miss high school gaming.  The PS2 was my oyster then.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:27:28 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »

The only time I ever even tried was in Kingdom Hearts. I got close but then got tired of grinding and getting my butt kicked by Sepiroth.=P There isn't a single other game I'd want to put myself through that kind of torture for.

At the 80s, this is the fight of your life.

In the 90s, it's a cakewalk.

Either way, so worth doing.

(Not in KH2, eff that.)

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »

On this note, I'm so stuck on whether I should move forward with Xenoblade or not.... so many more hours of quests, but I'm really just feeling moving on at this point.... I completed a ton of stuff but sort of slacked a bit on the reconstruction side-quest..... Don't know what to do.... 86 hours in.... compulsively trying to complete things.... all I want is STORY..... ohhhh the madness of it all......

I know the feeling, thankfully the game goes pretty close to the final boss before giving you a point of no return, and it tells you very explicitely. Strange though, i don't think there was any reason for having a point of no return. From a plot perspective, there's not really any reason the designers couldn't have made you walk up to the final boss, and then turn around and leave.

Anyway, if ANYONE completes Xenoblade at 100% they deserve a medal. That game is CRAZY with quests. I thought I had spent a lot of time doing them, then I read some things online that made me realize there were whole sections of sidequests that I never even realize existed. There must be 800 quests or something like that. Insane.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 04:31:45 AM »

I sorta worry about how much I WOULD play the US release. One of the things I wanted to do was tackle quests seriously then and use the import for blitzing through the story, but I did take my time with that, taking 80 hours and STILL barely scratching the surface of quests, and honestly most of them aren't that interesting to do. Then again, it does sound like you do the dumb "get a bunch of hides for me" quests to get more narrative driven quests. I think this is one of the areas where WRPGs most reliably trounce JRPGs, Bioware and even Bethesda treat them more as little stories to play out. FF was CLOSE there, more that you were getting more story information in FFIV-X's sidequests, but within the last several years we saw more just go with an MMO-style for quests (get me a bunch of items! Beat this one tough monster!) rather than creating a bunch of little scenarios to play through. And even when there IS one of those little scenarios it still usually involves enemy drops.

At least like Ys Seven Xenoblade's pretty liberal with enemy drops, rather than stupid and stingy like NieR.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: