Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 09:02:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319700 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Shin Megami Tensei 4 announced for 3DS.  (Read 3761 times)
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »

Honestly, there's nothing the current gen consoles really offers that'll make SMT any better; the games go for stylized art rather than realism and I don't think the current technology would do anything other than smooth out some edges. The PS2 was pretty good at rendering models very close to the original artwork, and we've seen that the handhelds are as powerful as the PS2, if not moreso. Unless you are really just that averse to handhelds, I'd say give this game a chance - it did, after all, JUST get announced.

Actually, the PS2 renders were nothing like the artwork. There is big room for improvement presentation-wise.

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 03:30:30 PM »

And there WAS a bit in the SMT:N strategy guide where they interviewed Cozy Okada and Kazuma Kaneko I believe, where one of them stated the limits of the PS2 kept them from doing stuff like depicting a battle you could see from the other side of the Vortex World. So, yeah, they could definitely do more, but I don't think they really NEED to. And using Catherine as an example only serves to prove Persona may be better on consoles, mainline MegaTen doesn't have as much need for that, I actually kind of prefer the sprites used by SMT1, 2, and SJ.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »

Somehow with SMT IV being on 3DS it kinda feels that the main series is no longer important anymore with the Persona series getting all the attention with all the ports they did for PSP, the enhanced version of P4 for Vita and P5 being surely released for (at least) PS3. Not to mention all the other stuff they have made like the drama CDs, concerts, etc. Though, I know that's not the case but still the fact that after a decade of Noctune being released I can't help myself but being disappointed with the announcement of the game being on a handheld.

That's like Square Enix announcing a sequel to Vagrant Story directed by Motomu Toriyama.

...well, maybe not that bad but you get the idea.

Also, there's no real reason to believe that SMT IV will bad or anything because is on 3DS. So that's that.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »

I'm surprised there has been so little in regards to P5 thus far.  Hopefully after new ShinMeg, we get nuthin' but.  I have nothing against handhelds, but who's gonna hate an HD experience??

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 02:59:26 PM »

Honestly though, we've had so many games since a *proper* SMT sequel, I'm just glad it's finally coming.

(I'm not dissing the other games - by proper I just mean true, mainline sequel in the SMT series)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »

That's one thing I'm happy about with this franchise. Atlus keeps to a consistent level of quality with all their games, and when they don't manage to reach them, they release a sequel that does.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 09:37:32 PM »

Honestly, I've appreciated way more handheld games than console games lately. I'm actually kind of happy it's on handheld rather than console. Not that I don't appreciate a full scale game with all the works, but I don't put in nearly as much time on my consoles than my handhelds these days.

"Oh, a hunter..."
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »

The naming of this is gonna be awkward in the US, that's for sure.

Also, I might be crazy for hoping, but maybe they managed to get Cozy Okada back on the team for this... not like he's busy with pachinko games or whatever Gaia's doing.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:10:06 PM by cj_iwakura » Logged

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »

Gaia still exist?
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email