Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:00:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338029 Posts in 13841 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tokitowa - Time and Eternity (third person 2D/3D RPG, imageepoch, PS3) announced
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Tokitowa - Time and Eternity (third person 2D/3D RPG, imageepoch, PS3) announced  (Read 27774 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 07:43:30 AM »

Yeah, a story doesn't have to be all dark and serious to be meaningful.  When stories take themselves too seriously and/or become "so dark like how much more dark can this be?  And the answer is none, none more dark" (to draw inspiration from Spinal Tap), they become almost as ridiculous as cosmic fanservice harem #5.   

ASIDE: I remember this stupid OVA series called Luna Varga from way back in the day.  The first volume was more enjoyable than I expected it to be because it embraced its ridiculousness.  The second volume was terrible because it tried to take itself seriously.  Luna Varga is an anime about a princess who, literally, has Godzilla grafted to her hiney.  For crying aloud, don't try to make it Le Morte d' Arthur or something. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »

story aside, I'm sold on the aesthetics here...... good golly, I hope we see an american release

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 05:03:10 PM »

Given Namco Bandai's involvement that's kind of up in the air...

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »

Andriasang reports the developers WANT you to doubt them.  Consider my tail wagging slightly.

I'm just worried of a "sailor moon"-ing (lol, mooning) where half the episode is recycled transformations/attacks.  I know that'll be tough to avoid, but hopefully it won't look too bad.  Hell, it'd be nice to see a transition from every emotion the girls can pull if you know what I mean.

Story aside, an idea like this must be tough work.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 06:03:47 PM »

I would think developers learned their lesson from Final Fantasy VII that overly long summons look cool the first couple of times, then become a drag by the umpteenth battle.  Even if there are Sailor Moon type sequences for summons or transformations, I'm sure players will be able to skip or fast-forward them at the push of a button. 

As far as gameplay goes, the thing that would most turn me off is if it's like an Idea Factory game where there are too many gameplay systems that end up competing with each other making the overall experience unbalanced, tedious, and off-putting.  Sometimes less is more and you don't need to put everything but the kitchen sink into it. 

The game is beautiful, though, and I like that the cutscenes are anime rather than CG.  I liked Thousand Arms...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 01:00:45 AM »

The game is beautiful, though, and I like that the cutscenes are anime rather than CG.  I liked Thousand Arms...

and I love ZoE2.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »

Another cerebral and deep idea that could possibly be explored is how female virginity is considered precious whereas male virginity is mocked, what with the guy marrying the girl but hasn't been kissed and all that.  But again, why think deeply when it's easy to just write jokes and exaggerated event scripts that poke fun at him and make him look like a doofus "harem sausage" through the eyes of the harem, when he'd probably be a stand up guy if he were extracted from the harem. 

Then again, I never understood the appeal of harems.  Too expensive to maintain, too much drama, too many problems, too much drama, too many problems, and too expensive to maintain.  I also never understood how some religions reward martyr deaths with a bunch of virgins when you get to heaven.  Would you really want to go through the hassle of showing someone what to do to 87 times or whatever?  Just give me one mate in heaven who already knows what they're doing. 

I hope the game proves me at least somewhat wrong, in terms of characters, event scripting, and all that. 

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 11:07:26 AM »

Based on the little info we had I'm interested in the game.
Yeah, I know, of what we know so far one of the characters may sound stupid but I can overlook that if other areas turn out nice. The art at least I can say it pleases me tastes.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2012, 11:37:19 AM »

It's like dating.  I want to go on a date with Tokitowa because she's freakin HOT!  But if this super hot game is vapid, then she may be fun for a few hours, but not someone I'd want to pursue the full 40-60 hours commitment with.  Basically, all I'm saying is that I want some brains and personality to go with the hotness, ya know?  I don't need a genius with the Miss Congeniality trophy; reasonably smart and not boring will be fine.  

Still, it's fun being a jack-hole about hokey harem anime RPG cliches. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:54:35 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 07:31:51 AM »

Trailer from yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlTDwkxEgo
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »

As a kid, I always envisioned that eventually videogame graphics would look "as real as the cartoons".  I'm very interested in how this goes.

Hopefully control isn't nearly as restricted as in Dragon's Lair.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 02:49:41 PM »

I was gonna post it, haha but all 2 seconds of gameplay made me resist.  Looks pretty cool?  From what I can see, wouldn't mind more of a frame rate.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2012, 09:11:31 AM »

I thought the gameplay snippets looked alright.  The game is still pretty, but I wasn't too thrilled by the music.  Sounds like generic canned RPG music.  Then again, I am pickier than most when it comes to music...

VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:21 PM »

^ thats rare for me to see
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2012, 06:58:40 PM »

http://andriasang.com/comzv0/tokitowa_screens_details/

Tons of new screens were posted.  It seems that it's not going to be turn-based.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: